We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange Price changes ?

1…94959799100…235

Comments

  • Hi all

    Thanks for all ur input. Ben you have been a star. My story: Contract taken out june through mobiles.co.uk N97 1200 min 500 texts £40 pm no signal where i am so no good for 24mths. Phoned Friday stated facts threatened ofcom recieved pac code Tuesday. What a result will get new N97 on vodaphone £30pm sell n97 keep old 1 and buy daughter new laptop. Once again id like to thank u all

    :rotfl::rotfl::T
  • Mohsin
    Mohsin Posts: 6 Forumite
    Hi,

    Just wondering if anyone can advise if I can do the same? I took out a new orange contract from an orange store on the 25th July. I haven't received the text about the changes in charges. As I signed up on the 25th would that of already contained the new charges?

    Thanks
  • Mohsin wrote: »
    Hi,

    Just wondering if anyone can advise if I can do the same? I took out a new orange contract from an orange store on the 25th July. I haven't received the text about the changes in charges. As I signed up on the 25th would that of already contained the new charges?

    Thanks

    I took my new contract out on the 27th so i would be interested to know this?
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    With reference to the above, reading back through previous posts you will find it very hard. Others have said that after a certain date you will have agreed to the new charges. I can't remember the exact date but know you are far too late.

    Find it a bit bewildering that you agree a new contract on 25th July and then two weeks later want to back out of it. You have recently had the opportunity to choose the right tariff for your usage. In my opinion Orange would be within their rights to charge you to get out of the contract.

    At least I got in to cancel this morning as it seems they may well be clamping down on contract terminations on this matter. I bet it has already cost them hundreds of thousands of pounds.
  • daveboy wrote: »
    With reference to the above, reading back through previous posts you will find it very hard. Others have said that after a certain date you will have agreed to the new charges. I can't remember the exact date but know you are far too late.

    Find it a bit bewildering that you agree a new contract on 25th July and then two weeks later want to back out of it. You have recently had the opportunity to choose the right tariff for your usage. In my opinion Orange would be within their rights to charge you to get out of the contract.

    At least I got in to cancel this morning as it seems they may well be clamping down on contract terminations on this matter. I bet it has already cost them hundreds of thousands of pounds.

    The only reason why the likes of us wouldn't mind getting out of the contract, is we would benefit from having a free phone, that's why we would like to know if we can cancel ours ;)
  • Mohsin
    Mohsin Posts: 6 Forumite
    The only reason why the likes of us wouldn't mind getting out of the contract, is we would benefit from having a free phone, that's why we would like to know if we can cancel ours ;)

    Exactly what I was going to say ;)
  • brady0
    brady0 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I've just managed to this, chuffed to bits I am!

    The lad I spoke to was alright, I asked him if he'd had loads of calls about it, he just said hes had a few not many.

    He tried denying it me because I would actually benefit from the data changes and I don't go over my bill.

    I argued with him while on my orange account online. I argued that the charges could be detrimental to me because previously I could just go on one webpages and be charged about 10p rather than the 60p flat rate. He said 'ive got to go off your last 3 month bills mate and you would have benefitted from these charges then'. I knew i would have benefitted but wanted out of the contract as I actually dropped my n85 down the toilet the other day so am paying an expensive contract which I'm not benefitting from anymore.

    He started quoting the terms of the contract so he's obviously been briefed but I knew I had good right to cancel.

    After him refusing to budge on the data charges I moved to 0870 numbers, he said that I don't use them so I said 'but I might have wanted to use them if they were 5p but I don't now, anyway I've definitely made 0870 numbers in the past'. he checked my account and I'd made 3 0870 calls, 2 months ago to City (the first reward i've had from being a manchester city fan in my life!) and that yes I was entitled to leave.

    After accepting that I can leave he said there's no point leaving. I told him that I'd ruined my phone and my contract was too expensive and he said yeah fair enough mate, its your choice.

    My advice:
    1. Check your bill before you ring, have you made calls to 0870 numbers?
    2. Check your bill before you ring, have you gone over your minutes?
    3. Check your bill before you ring, do you go over your data allowance?
    4. When you ring 150 choose the option of disconnections rather than customer service.
    5. Stand firm, be confident and pretend you know what you're talking about!
    6. Don't get angry with them, try and keep a normal conversation.

    Cheers
  • daveboy
    daveboy Posts: 1,400
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It doesn't matter whether or not you have previously made calls to 08 numbers - they have changed the agreement to the customers detriment.

    Same with inclusive minutes and data allowance.

    Agree with the other points.

    But as has been said a few times already - if you get a person on the other end from Orange who won't budge, politely end the call and phone again a few minutes later. You should get someone else.

    Above all - don't be scared! They're trying to pick your pocket on the sly and the terms of the agreement are on your side.
  • in.debt_2
    in.debt_2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    These new charges will actually effect me quite badly as I use my phone regularly to call 08xx numbers (not pervy ones, thanks)!

    I'm on hold at the moment to see if I can get out of my contract. So far, I've been on hold for a total of 34 minutes and their system has hung up on me twice.

    Having had a thorough read of the T&Cs though, it looks like they might not cover this situation. 4.3.1, which states an increase isn't grounds to cancel if

    "we have increased the Charges by an amount equal to or less than the percentage increase in the All Items Index of Retail Prices published by the Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics in any 12 month period"

    covers their backsides I think.

    I've downloaded and gone through the Monthly Digest of Statistics and this increase of 194% (IIRC) is below the 214% in the Digest.

    Unless I'm adding it up wrong, or Orange have made other raises in the last 12 months, it looks like they might be able to say "TOUGH" after all :(
  • AgentGibbs
    AgentGibbs Posts: 16 Forumite
    I just tried twice- I seriously hope Orange havnt just thought !!!!!! it, and are gonna risk people ACTUALLY taking legal action.

    Guy I spoke to on second attempt said lawyers orange spoke too said that as they couldnt prove I had gone over the minutes that there were no grounds to cancel. Believe me I tried to argue as good as I got, but it was clear he wasnt budging. I also got the txt!


    You think Im too late?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.