We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange Price changes ?

1…959698100101…235

Comments

  • in.debt wrote: »
    These new charges will actually effect me quite badly as I use my phone regularly to call 08xx numbers (not pervy ones, thanks)!

    I'm on hold at the moment to see if I can get out of my contract. So far, I've been on hold for a total of 34 minutes and their system has hung up on me twice.

    Having had a thorough read of the T&Cs though, it looks like they might not cover this situation. 4.3.1, which states an increase isn't grounds to cancel if

    "we have increased the Charges by an amount equal to or less than the percentage increase in the All Items Index of Retail Prices published by the Central Statistical Office in the Monthly Digest of Statistics in any 12 month period"

    covers their backsides I think.

    I've downloaded and gone through the Monthly Digest of Statistics and this increase of 194% (IIRC) is below the 214% in the Digest.

    Unless I'm adding it up wrong, or Orange have made other raises in the last 12 months, it looks like they might be able to say "TOUGH" after all :(


    I think you need a quick lesson in RPI figures ;) They are an average not a sum !
  • AgentGibbs wrote: »
    I just tried twice- I seriously hope Orange havnt just thought !!!!!! it, and are gonna risk people ACTUALLY taking legal action.

    Guy I spoke to on second attempt said lawyers orange spoke too said that as they couldnt prove I had gone over the minutes that there were no grounds to cancel. Believe me I tried to argue as good as I got, but it was clear he wasnt budging. I also got the txt!


    You think Im too late?


    Bloke is talking !!!!!!!! !

    The contract has been broken and therefore is invalid
  • johannab
    johannab Posts: 86
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    My husband has been told flat out that as he doesn't go over his minutes and therefore CANNOT cancel.
    They told him to 'take it up with ofcom' if he wasn't happy. They would not budge at all no matter what he said.

    They have obviously all been briefed to block us on this now.
  • DJH2
    DJH2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    I've just rang and the woman I spoke to said as I do not go over my inclusive minutes (600 a month) the new charges do not affect me and I can't cancel.
    I pointed out that if I was to go over the 600 minutes in the future that the new charges would affect me but she said as I was now aware of the new charges I could not cancel.

    Will ring back tomorrow and try again, quoting section 4 of the contract and see if I have any better luck.
  • Not had the text yet. If I phone an 0870 number today then get the text tomorrow should I be able to cancel because I've called an 0870 number in the 3 months before getting the text?
    I phoned last night and was told I can't cancel until I get the text. I was told I would get the text today but it's not arrived yet. I've been on dolphin 35 since April. I take it I will be affected
  • AgentGibbs
    AgentGibbs Posts: 16 Forumite
    JJBlade wrote: »
    Bloke is talking !!!!!!!! !

    The contract has been broken and therefore is invalid

    I know, that is what I argued, sounded like he had been told to stand firm, take the terms being read back to him over and over and get rid of me. Im so angry, I hate Orange as it is and after finding out I was charged 1p per DELIVERY REPORT I wanted to leave.
    How have people fought to get a cancellation recently? Seems to be getting harder...
  • johannab
    johannab Posts: 86
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    its very hard now.They wont budge. My husband has been told by orange to contact OFCOM!
  • Just got the text before I managed to call an 0870 number. Have called a few 0845/0855 numbers in the past month but don't know if that helps. On the phone to Orange as I type
  • Just moved into new business premises and have almost no signal with my orange phone. Been self employed this is a right pain having to go outside to answer any calls.

    Called orange to cancel my contract and switch to 0
    o2, they said i signed up last May to an 18 month contract and was out of contract in February ???? I said that makes it november by my calender and she said "well when you signed up you were not out of your last contract so we added those three months onto this one" How cheeky is that.

    Anyway just got wind of all this, called after only reading a few facts and got my contract cancelled with 7 months to go. They are sending me my PAK number this week and i'm free to move on as soon as it arrives.

    P.s i told them i had received the text (when i hadn't) and they didn't check anything.
  • in.debt_2
    in.debt_2 Posts: 26 Forumite
    JJBlade wrote: »
    I think you need a quick lesson in RPI figures ;) They are an average not a sum !

    I'm useless with maths I'm afraid. I was hoping I was totally wrong!

    Anyway, I finally got through to them. Told the lady that answered that I'd had this text and as per their T&Cs I wished to cancel. She said Orange are only allowing people to cancel if they've made calls in the last 3 months that would be under the new prices and put me on hold while she checked.

    All those 08xx numbers I've called clearly must help because she eventually came back and said there was no problem and I'd receive a PAC code in the post in the next couple of days and I should use it immediately or risk missing out on it and having to pay for another (I'm aware you get 30 days to use it but I'm not going to risk it).

    That was it, I'm free from Orange. I've already found a replacement O2 tariff that gives me 600 minutes and unlimited texts (instead of 200 minutes and unlimited texts) for £30 per month (instead of £25). However, it also comes with a new handset and a PS3 - by the time I've sold those, I'm hoping to more-or-less cover the cost of a year with O2.

    I'm really happy, today's been a good day! My wife found one of the undated 20p coins in her purse earlier, so that's another £50 with any luck :D
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.