We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange Price changes ?

1…9798100102103…235

Comments

  • drbesty
    drbesty Posts: 967 Forumite
    The last thing you want to do when you contact a call centre is kick up a fuss, it really makes the person on the other end not give a toss, be friendly, be polite, it'll get you far
  • magsirl
    magsirl Posts: 219
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 August 2009 at 10:16PM
    One further thing that Ofcom told me, we should be asking to be released without penalty from your contract under General Condition 9.3 as it has a material detriment to me as the consumer.

    I looked up 9.3 on the web and the description is below

    9.3 Where the Communications Provider intends to modify a condition in a contract with a Consumer which is likely to be of material detriment to the Consumer, the Communications Provider shall:
    (a) provide the Consumer with at least one month's notice of its intention detailing the proposed modification; and
    (b) inform the Consumer of the ability to terminate the contract without penalty if the proposed modification is not acceptable to the Consumer

    Many thanks for the above!! I phoned earlier and spoke with a lady and she said no we had not gone over the mins or phoned any numbers!! (All true) and we could not cancel. I phoned again and spoke with a lovely guy!! and quoted the above and when he checked he said yes we could cancel as we had phoned one of the numbers :) Well happy.
    Many thanks for all the tips and advice.

    Just to add we only received the text tonight.I did make an 0845 call from the mobile between phoning the lady and the very nice guy!
  • Just thought people may want to know..if you use your PAC code straight away then orange will charge you for the rest of the month..Its better to use your mins and messages and then use your PAC code on the 29/30th day that what you wont end up getting billed for an entire month..

    If you do manage to cancel (and you dont mind waiting) then just move the contract on to pay as you go and then get the PAC code so you dont end up getting charged and orange will then pay you back the remainder of the month..

    Thanks to all those that figured out this loophole..I didnt want to cancel so Orange gave me extra 600 mins and for my sis 300 mins and 250 texts..wish I had haggled for the internet lol
  • shauniebabe
    shauniebabe Posts: 147
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 7 August 2009 at 10:44PM
    What did you say to get them to offer you a deal?

    All theyve said to me is theyll cancel the contract but then theyll phone us on the 25th august with a upgrade deal!

    I might of gone got her a iphone by then! They dont wanna seem to keep people! I wouldnt mind her bills are always 50quid plus and this month its 93quid and shes never missed a bill!
  • simax
    simax Posts: 1,980
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Just to let you know as of this afternoon, Orange's legal department have set strict criteria on who can cancel. If you don't meet the criteria, you won't be able to cancel. End of.
    I spent 25 years in the mobile industry, from 1994 to 2019. Worked for indies as well as the big networks, in their stores also in contact centres. I also hold a degree in telecoms engineering so I like to think I know what I’m talking about 😂
  • biglugs
    biglugs Posts: 2,945
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If I cancel my wife's contract will they convert the SIM to PAYG if you ask, or will they always kill it off?
    I have always been reasonably happy with Orange and my wife wants to keep her number, but if we can get out of the remaining 10 months of her contract that would be nice.
    You don't get medals for sitting in the trenches.
  • Amba_Gambla
    Amba_Gambla Posts: 12,107
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ok, so I'm abroad until August 27th, and may want to cancel my contract. Will I be too late? I don't fancy trying to sort out a new contract from across the pond!
  • northerngeezer
    northerngeezer Posts: 1,048
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    simax wrote: »
    Just to let you know as of this afternoon, Orange's legal department have set strict criteria on who can cancel. If you don't meet the criteria, you won't be able to cancel. End of.

    Oh no.. have I missed the boat or is it still worth trying ?

    When you say this afternoon do mean afternoon of the 8th or 7th ?

    Thanks
  • Totality
    Totality Posts: 1,909 Forumite
    What did you say to get them to offer you a deal?

    All theyve said to me is theyll cancel the contract but then theyll phone us on the 25th august with a upgrade deal!

    I might of gone got her a iphone by then! They dont wanna seem to keep people! I wouldnt mind her bills are always 50quid plus and this month its 93quid and shes never missed a bill!

    I just said I had no problem with the service but was a bit miffed with the increases and thought I'd go elsewhere if it meant I was saving money with lower calls. Was offered a discount on one phone right away. Already have a decent discount on a second and cancelled the third as it wasn't being used anyway.
  • johannab
    johannab Posts: 86
    10 Posts
    Forumite
    Oh no.. have I missed the boat or is it still worth trying ?

    When you say this afternoon do mean afternoon of the 8th or 7th ?

    Thanks


    Yesterday ,7th, as far as I know. My husband tried yesterday at 5-ish and came up against a brick wall ! They told him to contact ofcom .
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.