We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Orange Price changes ?

1…5657596162…235

Comments

  • MerseyLad
    MerseyLad Posts: 175 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Me and my girlfriend cancelled ours yesterday. She got offered a new phone, 3000 mins, and 3000 texts to stay with orange at £20 p/m.

    I have a question though:

    1 - As we are cancelling our contracts after 9 months [in effect]. Do the handsets need to go back or do we keep them? Orange said nothing about this.
    Debt LIGHTBULB Moment - Sept 2009 - *** DEBT FREE SEPT 2020
    Coventry BS Loan - was £21300. Now £0 CLOSED Northern Rock Loann - was £7500. Now £0 CLOSED Egg Card - was £5300. Now £0 CLOSED.
    Capital One Card - was £5550. Now £0 CLOSED Cahoot Overdraft - was £1500. Now £0 CLOSED.
  • Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative
    Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative Posts: 659 Organisation Representative
    richbadman wrote: »
    I am sure we can do something against mobiles.co.uk for not sending our orange contract with the phone or we could at least use this to help us quit orange, like you I didn't recieve any orange contract, I just got T&C from mobiles.co.uk. There must be some sort of regulations regarding this, if I haven't seen/read the contract how could I have signed/confirmed it?

    Hi there,

    All customers must agree to our T&Cs before placing their order, in the shopping cart. A copy of these T&Cs are then sent out with the delivery for your records. It is impossible to order from us without ticking a box that says you have read and agree to them.

    It is correct that Mobiles.co.uk lose substantial amounts of money should you cancel your contract early, hence the provision in the T&Cs allowing us to give customers free phones on the understanding the contract remains live for the minimum agreed term.

    Regards
    Ben
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Mobiles.co.uk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • bexsmum
    bexsmum Posts: 116 Forumite
    I've just called them after receiving the text yesterday.

    Explained to a nice girl that I was more concerned with the voicemail charges as I get a lot of messages. She suggested a £10 decrease in my line rental and extra minutes.

    I just explained I still would like to cancel and she just said no problem. Asked for my pac code which will come in 3 - 5 days and when my number is transfered to my new contract my current contract with orange will terminate.

    Very simple. Very quick. Very efficient.

    Bexsmum
    Now Mrs! Still mum though.... :D
    Holiday 2013
    January - Dubai
    August - Disney World & New York
  • Any
    Any Posts: 7,958 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    MerseyLad wrote: »
    Me and my girlfriend cancelled ours yesterday. She got offered a new phone, 3000 mins, and 3000 texts to stay with orange at £20 p/m.

    I have a question though:

    1 - As we are cancelling our contracts after 9 months [in effect]. Do the handsets need to go back or do we keep them? Orange said nothing about this.

    If you had it direct from Orange you keep them.

    What handset did you get offered? I was told by 3 different people that they can do me special tariff but they cannot give any new handsets out!!
  • Hi there,

    All customers must agree to our T&Cs before placing their order, in the shopping cart. A copy of these T&Cs are then sent out with the delivery for your records. It is impossible to order from us without ticking a box that says you have read and agree to them.

    It is correct that Mobiles.co.uk lose substantial amounts of money should you cancel your contract early, hence the provision in the T&Cs allowing us to give customers free phones on the understanding the contract remains live for the minimum agreed term.

    Regards
    Ben

    After numerous attempts to ask mobiles.co.uk reps where in the T&Cs does it state I need to return the phone if I cancel after 9 months, I have been offered no satisfactory answer. Could you please point us to the T&Cs where it states if you cancel after 9 months you will have to return the phone?
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    I've had an interesting experience.

    I haven't received the text, so I spoke to their dsconnections dept and spoke to a little !!!!!! who would not even confirm whether or not I was affected.

    I asked to be put through to his manager, a reasonable request that he refused. Apparently he's seen the page from Bitter Wallet that someone here posted.

    http://www.bitterwallet.com/orange-increase-charges-can-you-cancel-your-orange-contract/15723

    Well, Barry my little Orange Upstart! You rather more educated colleage was able to confirm to me that I AM affected and that I should be receiving confirmation of this. An she confirmed that I was able to cancel the contract if I wanted to.

    I actually want to stay with Orange, but won't unless they offer me a hefty incentive, like a substantial increase in minutes or a phone upgrade.

    Or giving Barry the sack would do the trick :)
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    I bought mine from them, and am just going to try to get a discount from orange so I can keep my phone lol. See what happens tomorrow.

    Who have you spoken to at Orange to tr to effect that?

    I would be delighted to get a sizeable discount or some beneficial change to my price plan, but fear that I may have to call their bluff to effect this. I don't really want to cancel the contract but I will if they offer nothing.
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative
    Mobiles.co.uk_company_representative Posts: 659 Organisation Representative
    After numerous attempts to ask mobiles.co.uk reps where in the T&Cs does it state I need to return the phone if I cancel after 9 months, I have been offered no satisfactory answer. Could you please point us to the T&Cs where it states if you cancel after 9 months you will have to return the phone?

    It's not that you need to return the phone, it's that in order to get the phone (and free gift) free in the first place you agree to a minimum term contract, which cannot be cancelled within that period.

    See section 4.2;
    Irrespective of delivery and the passing of risk in the Equipment, or any other provision of these conditions, the ownership of the
    Equipment shall not pass to you until
    (i) we have received in cash or cleared funds payment in full for the price of the Equipment and
    all other Equipment agreed to be sold by us to you for which payment is then due and (ii) you have made all payments due under your
    Airtime Contract for the Minimum Period
    , if you acquired your Mobile Phone/Smart Phone on the basis that you enter into a Airtime
    Contract.

    Regards,
    Ben
    “Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Mobiles.co.uk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • bubblegumcola
    bubblegumcola Posts: 1,100 Forumite
    bexsmum wrote: »
    I've just called them after receiving the text yesterday.

    Explained to a nice girl that I was more concerned with the voicemail charges as I get a lot of messages. She suggested a £10 decrease in my line rental and extra minutes.

    I just explained I still would like to cancel and she just said no problem. Asked for my pac code which will come in 3 - 5 days and when my number is transfered to my new contract my current contract with orange will terminate.

    Very simple. Very quick. Very efficient.

    Bexsmum


    I've been with Orange about a year now on PAYG but I got very annoyed that they charged you to listen to your messages. If you can do without people leaving messages on your phone then phone them up and ask them to disable the answermachine, thats what I did. If people can't get you on your phone then they can text you to leave a message. Personally I hate leaving messages on mobiles, if you can't get hold of the person they are obviously busy anyway.

    I'm thinking of moving to Tesco mobile, my DD has far better coverage on her phone than I do plus they have a good offer on airtime. Doesn't matter what kind of phone I have, I'm not after the latest fancy one, as long as it works!
  • It's not that you need to return the phone, it's that in order to get the phone (and free gift) free in the first place you agree to a minimum term contract, which cannot be cancelled within that period.

    See section 4.2;



    Regards,
    Ben

    Many thanks. Other companies such as Phones4u, CPW are allowing customers to cancel without returning the phone. Surely, CPW and mobiles.co.uk have same T&Cs?

    PS: A post from one member on another forum: "Thanks. I just rang up CPW customer services and the girl on the phone was polite and helpful…she said that i wasnt liable for any sort of fee to CPW and when i specifically asked about the handset she stated that, as per the orange terms and conditions, it was acquired outside the contrac therefore didnt neeed to be returned. She made a note on my account, which i could hear her type out as i waited, and took an ext and her name for reference."
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.