MSE Parents Club Part 3

Options
This is a continuation of the Parents Club part 2 which can be found HERE. Part 2 was eventually closed due to the length of it :)

All parents are welcome, mums & dads with children of any age. We're also happy to help people who just have questions about kids, even if you don't have any yet.

This is a place of mutual support, so feel free to ask and answer whatever you want. Feel free also just to moan if that will help!

If you want to put details of your kids and their ages in your signature then this helps us keep track of all of the little ones, but this is not obligatory.
DFW Nerd #025
DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey

Comments

• My_Fathers_Daughter
    Options
    :j:j:j

A shiny new thread - Hello All

:D

*runs away to catch up on the old thread*
    r.mac wrote: »
    please listen to MFD - she is a wise woman :D
    Proud Mummy to the gorgeous Benjamin John born 14 March 2009, 8lbs 14oz
    A new little seedling on the way, due 30 September 2012
  • 3onitsway
    3onitsway Posts: 4,000 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yey - a new thread!

I'll start with a depressing post! :mad:

I'm already starting to stress about my mat.leave ending and going back to work - at the end of November!!

I really, really, really don't want to go back to work.

To all the SAHM's who worked before - how did you decide/work out how to be a SAHM?

I probably have the best mum friendly job, I work part time and term time. Before mat leave, i'd take DD to school and go to work. I'd finish work in time to collect her from school. DS is at a special school so gets transport. He's picked up at 8, and comes home at 4 - so it all fitted in well.

Now, If i got back to work at my usual hours, DD2 will have to go to a nursery/childminder. Her name is down for the work creche - but its unlikely we'll get a place. Also, all the nurserys i've found, bar one, I'd have to pay all year round even though she wouldn't need to go when i'm off in the school holidays. MIL may drop a day at her work to have DD2 - so 4 days child care would be needed.

I've thought I could change my hours and work maybe 2 full days rather than 5 part days. This would mean two days childcare for DD2, but DD1 would have to do before school/after school clubs which she wouldn't be happy about. And DS - i've no idea, there are no before/after school facilities for him.

I thought writing it down would make it clearer - but no - it looks like a page full of confusing babble!

Any opinions/experiences would help! :D
    :beer:
  • feelinggood_2
    feelinggood_2 Posts: 11,115 Forumite
    Options
    Given OH till Wednesday to decide for definite, but it looks like my marriage is over. Going to stay with my parents till then to give him some space so he can be sure it is the right choice, but I can't see him deciding to give things a go. Then I'll be back here until I can work out where to go and what to do.
    Stay-at-home, attached Mummy to a 23lb 10oz, 11 month old baby boy.
  • feelinggood_2
    feelinggood_2 Posts: 11,115 Forumite
    Options
    3onitsway wrote: »
    I really, really, really don't want to go back to work.

I'd say there is your answer. Sit down and go through the finances and see if you can make it work. I think you should trust your heart - if you don't want to go back and can get by, then do that!
    Stay-at-home, attached Mummy to a 23lb 10oz, 11 month old baby boy.
  • MadDogWoman_2
    MadDogWoman_2 Posts: 2,376 Forumite
    Options
    Given OH till Wednesday to decide for definite, but it looks like my marriage is over. Going to stay with my parents till then to give him some space so he can be sure it is the right choice, but I can't see him deciding to give things a go. Then I'll be back here until I can work out where to go and what to do.

(((((((((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))))))))))))))

So sorry to hear this. Look after yourself and your son.

MDW
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    DD Katie born April 2007!
    3 years 9 months and proud of it
    dreams do come true (eventually!)

• 3onitsway
    3onitsway Posts: 4,000 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh Feelie - HUGS!

I've no useful advice - but i'm sure someone will have. xxx
    :beer:
  • cazscoob
    cazscoob Posts: 4,990 Forumite
    Options
    ((((HUGS)))) Feelie i can understand what you are going through i was in the same situation a few months ago. I think that men feel pushed out and usless when a baby arrives and cant understand why your tired/stressed/just need 5 mins to yourself. Things were bad here and we have realised that we need time away from both kids and each other. I hope you can work things out if thats what you want but otherwise your a strong and fantastic mum and with the help of your friends and family you can do it! remember we are all her any time for you and all you ladies were great when i had a crap time. If you want to chat pm or email me xxx
    What's for you won't go past you
  • My_Fathers_Daughter
    Options
    Well I did it!! I managed to be a responsible career woman for the morning, thank you all for your kind wishes.

This morning was timed to perfection, Benjamin woke at 5.20am as per usual (last feed at 11pm) and fed / doezed with me for an hour before going back into his cot. I got up at 6.30am and got ready, hubby grabbed a shower whilst I had breakfast.

Hubby had to wake Benjamin at 8.30am so he could have a play and wake him properly before MIL arrived at 9am (we didn't want to have both run away when Benjamin woke up!). 2 bottles, 2 1/2 hours sleep and a couple of nappy changes later and I was home for 1.15pm :T

The only learning point of the day was that when wearing Lilypadz for a period of time it is worth taking them off and emptying them BEFORE getting in the car and knocking one off with the seatbelt :rolleyes:

Work was good, I enjoyed it, but my god didI miss my little boy :A
    r.mac wrote: »
    please listen to MFD - she is a wise woman :D
    Proud Mummy to the gorgeous Benjamin John born 14 March 2009, 8lbs 14oz
    A new little seedling on the way, due 30 September 2012
  • cazscoob
    cazscoob Posts: 4,990 Forumite
    Options
    SB is Jamie still in the cocoon in his pram? Erin has decided she will not stay in it and i eventually gave in at town today and switched her into the toddler seat in the back? she was much happier this way but im worried she is still too small? she was only in it for around 25 mins. it was quite an ordeal and people were walking past looking as if to say what on earth are you doing lol!
    What's for you won't go past you
  • SeptemberBaby_2
    SeptemberBaby_2 Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    Options

Oh, Feelie, HUGE hugs to you.

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family