We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE Parents Club Part 3

Options

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm so glad it's a shiny new thread because I went away for the weekend and you lot just nattered too much for me to catch up!

Ice cream vans: one of my managers told his children that when the ice cream van rang its bell / played its tune, that meant it had run out of ice cream! Guess this only works when it is driving around and NOT parked up selling ice cream to other families! :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • My_Fathers_Daughter
    Options
    Savvy_Sue wrote: »
    Ice cream vans: one of my managers told his children that when the ice cream van rang its bell / played its tune, that meant it had run out of ice cream! Guess this only works when it is driving around and NOT parked up selling ice cream to other families! :rotfl:

Hubby tells DSS that only naughty kids can hear the bells on the ice-cream van :rotfl: luckily DSS knows when his leg is being pulled :D
    r.mac wrote: »
    please listen to MFD - she is a wise woman :D
    Proud Mummy to the gorgeous Benjamin John born 14 March 2009, 8lbs 14oz
    A new little seedling on the way, due 30 September 2012
  • SusanC_2
    SusanC_2 Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sami_Bee wrote: »
    Susan are you moving house then? I wasn't sure if you were looking or had actually got a new house :)
    Yes. We got the keys two weeks ago and are moving as much stuff as we can tomorrow (with help from some people at church) and then actually moving ourselves and the rest of the stuff a week later (with help from OH's parents). OH has gone out every evening this week to clean the house while I have been at home packing and doing other preparations. Today he's gone straight there from work in the hopes of getting more done. Apart from two boxes of videos/CDs/videos/games all I have packed is books (15 boxes of them) and I've still not emptied the bookcases yet. :eek: I'm beginning to suspect we may be a little short on boxes.
    Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.
    2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Given OH till Wednesday to decide for definite, but it looks like my marriage is over. Going to stay with my parents till then to give him some space so he can be sure it is the right choice, but I can't see him deciding to give things a go. Then I'll be back here until I can work out where to go and what to do.

So sorry to hear that *hugs* If there is anything we can do, you know where we are. I know how bad everything looks right now, but stay strong and you will get through this. Take care xx

MFD - pleased that you had a good day :)

I couldn't do full time work as I'd miss Charlotte far too much. However, I was a SAHM with the boys for a while, and got bored with the lack of mental stimulation and lack of adult conversation at times. Part time hours works best for me as I get the best of both worlds - long enough to be out and be me doing something adult, but not long enough to miss the children and feel I'm not there for them.

I've been and had my hair cut today - shock horror! It's no longer bum length and it's just past my shoulders now, and a bit shorter round the front so it frames my face rather than just hanging there like curtains. I like it, but it feels really strange not having the weight on my back!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Krystaltips
    Krystaltips Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like the same kind of cut I had Becles... Went from my bum to my shoulders with layers put through it... Felt like my head was going to float off when I walked out of the salon!
    A very proud Mummy to 3 beautiful girls... I do pity my husband though, he's the one to suffer the hormones...
    Krystal is so smart and funny and wonderful I am struck dumb in awe in her presence.

• Fritha_2
    Fritha_2 Posts: 1,447 Forumite
    Options
    *hugs* Feelie

Glad your day went well mfd :-) I have a nose sucker too, or actually atm Little Miss Teething 2009 is a nose biter!

night time dummy adventures: I don't know if it's any good or not as Celia is a dummy refuser but I've seen these which might help?

Lastly young Celia treated me to a SEVEN HOUR sleep on Tuesday night and even went back down until half eight! It was very much a one off but blimey! *faints in shock and happiness*
    Comping, freebieing and trying to pay the mortgage off early!
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SusanC wrote: »
    Apart from two boxes of videos/CDs/videos/games all I have packed is books (15 boxes of them) and I've still not emptied the bookcases yet. :eek: I'm beginning to suspect we may be a little short on boxes.
    :rotfl: either that or you are a little long on books! :rotfl:

When we moved, we had about 30 photocopier paper boxes - you know, the kind which take 5 reams of paper. These are brilliant for books because you can still lift them once they are full.

Anyway, DH was working away M-F, so I would fill half these boxes up during the week, and he would fill the car with them at the w/e and drive them down to our new area, unpack them and bring back the empty boxes. Meanwhile I'd have filled the other half of the boxes with a new supply of books. I don't know how many times we did this, we still have some boxes of books.

I tried getting rid of some old - and I do mean old! - A level Maths books of his. He wouldn't let me, in case the boys wanted to use them. The eldest was 11 at the time, and while they're all good at Maths, they have NEVER expressed any interest in his old Maths books. If I ever find them again I shall get rid while he's not looking.

My top tip: don't run out of packing tape for sealing your boxes. That's the closest we ever came to divorce, the day he said he'd almost finished packing at our old house, so I didn't need to rush back from our new area to be ready for the removal men next day. So I arrived early evening, to find pretty much disaster area, no sign of what he'd actually DONE all weekend, and NO packing tape. The shops were shut, I nearly wept. Actually I think I did weep. Then I phoned a friend who came to my rescue.

I am NEVER moving again ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Ohh hi all ive only just discovered this thread can i join you all ?, Im mummy to a 2 year old girl first and last ;@) child
    sahm hubby is self employed were moving house in the next few weeks so busy time coming up
    hope to join in with you all x
  • redmel1621
    redmel1621 Posts: 6,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Only me that wants to work then :o

I really admire SAHMs but it is just not for me...I am a firm believer in childminders, my mum was one when I was a kid. With a bit of luck when I win my job back I won't need to be full time if I don't want to be.

Mel - I work in construction, working with 18 different companies developing teamwork, measuring performance and teaching the boys to play together nicely ;) soon to be on a consultancy basis (I hope!!).

Ooo - did you make the babysitting call Mel?

I would love to work, in my chosen career! but am struggling to get my degree completed, whilst juggling house/kids/working/studying....it is all getting on top of me. I am tryng to find a job closer to what I want to do, but don't hold out much hope!

I think you have told us before what job you do, it rings a bell now you mention it:) Still sounds interesting:D

I did make the call....she can't babysit as she is off to Blackpool for the weekend:rolleyes: I have no idea what we are going to do, yet!!!

Welcome Owens:)

Mel x
    Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
    Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
  • SusanC_2
    SusanC_2 Posts: 5,344 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl: either that or you are a little long on books! :rotfl:
    That did cross my mind.
    My top tip: don't run out of packing tape for sealing your boxes. That's the closest we ever came to divorce, the day he said he'd almost finished packing at our old house, so I didn't need to rush back from our new area to be ready for the removal men next day. So I arrived early evening, to find pretty much disaster area, no sign of what he'd actually DONE all weekend, and NO packing tape. The shops were shut, I nearly wept. Actually I think I did weep. Then I phoned a friend who came to my rescue.

I am NEVER moving again ...
    :eek:
    I think the first thing we bought after the offer was accepted was parcel tape. This allowed time for OH to forget where he put it but fortunately I managed to find it.
    Any question, comment or opinion is not intended to be criticism of anyone else.
    2 Samuel 12:23 Romans 8:28 Psalm 30:5
    "To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven: A time to be born, and a time to die"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure