We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE Parent Club - Part 2

Options
This is the continuation of an older thread which you can read here. But as Lu T started it, I thought she should start this one, so you can thank her not me. This is how she started the original thread ...

Having found the MSE pregnancy club invaluable over the last 6 months I thought we should have a similar one for us MSE parents.

Our little princess, Imogen Beth, arrived 5 days ago on Boxing Day and now the money-saving really begins! :money:

I'm hoping we can use this thread for sharing money-saving tips, and giving and getting mutual support and advice.

Savvy_Sue

Thanks to Savvy_Sue for sorting out this new version of the MSE Parent Club.

I set this club up nearly two years ago having 'graduated' from the Pregnancy Club which had been like a lifeline for me. The founding member of the Pregnancy Club, Bailey, pops in when she can and I know many of us have found this discussion really useful.

All parents are welcome, mums & dads with children of any age. We're also happy to help people who just have questions about kids, even if you don't have any yet.

This is a place of mutual support, so feel free to ask and answer whatever you want. Feel free also just to moan if that will help!

If you want to put details of your kids and their ages in your signature then this helps us keep track of all of the little ones, but this is not obligatory.

Lu T
MSE Parent Club Member #1
Yummy slummy mummy club member
50% slummy, 50% mummy, 100% proud
Imogen born Boxing Day 2006
Alex born 13 July 2009

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,204 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    but it looks like I need to post on it to bump it up to a visible position ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Kalamaker
    Options
    My son is 2 and a half years old and is fairly smart (definitely did not get that from me). He knows his alphabets, colors, numbers, and is starting to learn how to read. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of toys or games are out there that are affordable and can really stimulate a child's mind? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • xcat_girlx
    Options
    eeeeee dear, it sounds like i opened up a right can of worms yesterday!

firstly, i can only apologise to anyone who found the turn of phrase i used offensive. as i mentioned in a post afterwards, i have only ever known people complain about bad experiences of breastfeeding and heard those terms used. having now heard the positive side off a few of you on here, and reading the website you gave me last night, (brilliant information btw), i am now a lot more open minded to the possibility of Breastfeeding! thanks for all your help and opinions on the topic.

secondly, re: mrs tines concerns over am i ready for a baby. a lot of what you mentioned is what i've already played through my head 1000 times since we started discussing it. we are in a very stable relationship, moving in together v.soon (since i have now taken control of his finances) and i feel that while i may be young-ish, i've already more than lived my life (2 summers in an 18-30 resort has wiped me out!). im also more than prepared to take the pain and everything else, and i appreciate all your concerns. im not sure if you can ever be totally 100% ready for a baby, but i think we are as near to it as possible, and we've decided to start trying at the end of my pill packet. saying that, im on cerezatte so god knows how long it will take!

also, galvainzersbaby, with your dd starting school, have you gone through all the simple things with her teacher, i.e making friends etc. she might just be simply overwhelmed with the changes, bigger kids running round etc. it might be worth having a little chat to her. i know i went through a phase of hating school and crying just beacuse i didnt like school dinners!

phew, that was a long one! again, thanks for all your help!
    :j TTC from September 08 / BFP November 08 / EDD 22nd July 09 :j
    OH's debt as of Sept 08 - £15,000 / Nov 08 - £13,500
  • cha97michelle
    Options
    thanks for the new thread.

catgirl good luck then. be prepared that you may fall pregnant the 1st month. i did twice. start taking folic acid now - you are supposed to for about 3 months before conceiving to reduce spina bifida risk. also be aware that although you want this, a lot of women doubt whether they are doing the right thing once it happens. i've done this twice in very much wanted and planned pregnancies. try to be as healthy as you can - diet/exercise/no smoking and booze, and it should happen quickly for you.
  • cha97michelle
    Options
    Kalamaker wrote: »
    My son is 2 and a half years old and is fairly smart (definitely did not get that from me). He knows his alphabets, colors, numbers, and is starting to learn how to read. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of toys or games are out there that are affordable and can really stimulate a child's mind? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    the baby einstein stuff is quite good. although, babies and kids learn most from the people around them.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Pleased you found all the breastfeeding comments useful.

I loved breastfeeding mine and I was a younger mother at first (21 and 23) then 31 when I had my third! I breastfed all three of them.

I was shy at first about feeding in public as you imaging sitting there with them hanging out! However, once you get more confidence at home, you'll find you can do it discreetly and people probably won't even realise you are feeding.

My most positive reason for feeding was I like my sleep! It's much easier to get baby up, stick him/her on the breast while you lay in bed and then pop them back in their bed afterwards. Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of having to make fresh or warm up bottles during the night :o

Kalamaker - I used to do loads with mine when I was out and about. Ask him to spot words on shop shop signs, road signs etc., look out for certain things like a blue front door or a red car, or count how many trees you pass or how many buses go past if you're walking next to a road etc. Best of all - it's free!
    Here I go again on my own....
  • xcat_girlx
    Options
    thanks for the new thread.

catgirl good luck then. be prepared that you may fall pregnant the 1st month. i did twice. start taking folic acid now - you are supposed to for about 3 months before conceiving to reduce spina bifida risk. also be aware that although you want this, a lot of women doubt whether they are doing the right thing once it happens. i've done this twice in very much wanted and planned pregnancies. try to be as healthy as you can - diet/exercise/no smoking and booze, and it should happen quickly for you.
    thanks:o i've got him cutting down on the booze etc as well to give his swimmers a chance. my worry is how long this pill is going to take to leave my system, i've not had AF since June and i'd only had 5 between april 06 till then because of the injection. eeeeeek, im keeping everything crossed! also posted in TTC thread.
  • xcat_girlx
    Options
    Becles wrote: »
    Pleased you found all the breastfeeding comments useful.

I loved breastfeeding mine and I was a younger mother at first (21 and 23) then 31 when I had my third! I breastfed all three of them.

I was shy at first about feeding in public as you imaging sitting there with them hanging out! However, once you get more confidence at home, you'll find you can do it discreetly and people probably won't even realise you are feeding.

My most positive reason for feeding was I like my sleep! It's much easier to get baby up, stick him/her on the breast while you lay in bed and then pop them back in their bed afterwards. Couldn't be bothered with the hassle of having to make fresh or warm up bottles during the night :o

im v.keen to think of all this stuff now so i can enjoy being preg when it happens rather than worrying about things like this!
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,167 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    xcat_girlx wrote: »
    im v.keen to think of all this stuff now so i can enjoy being preg when it happens rather than worrying about things like this!

If you've got any other worries, even if they seem really silly, please feel free to post them here and we'll help out. We've all been there and worried over really trivial things :o:D

Once you get pregnant, join www.babycentre.co.uk You'll get an email every week telling you what baby is doing inside and you can go round excitedly telling everyone things like "eeeh (s)he's growing toenails this week" :D It also tells you things that will happen to you and how to look after yourself, and covers lots of other things like work, finances and stuff.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    xcat_girlx wrote: »

No matter how much you worry BEFORE getting pregnant you WILL question yourself once you DO get pregnant :) I do every single day! And bean is VERY much a planned and much wanted baby :) I think hormones and the enormity of it all really kicks in once you get that pregnant result on the test :)

I waited until I had a full cycle under my belt so knew how long the cycle was and that the artificial hormones had left my body before we TTC... As we managed it first go I think I did the right thing ;)
    Definitely start taking Folic Acid NOW - I didn't get 3 months of it in and I am already worrying about it!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport