PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to make hm breadcrumbs?

Options

Comments

• Kantankrus_Mare
    Kantankrus_Mare Posts: 6,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So could you just grate them? Ive got some fish Im going to make fishcakes with this week and breadcrumbs would come in handy. I have a hand blender that has only seen the light of day once I think. :rotfl: Have visions of spraying walls of kitchen with breadcrumbs if I use that. :eek:
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • lynzpower
    lynzpower Posts: 25,311 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So could you just grate them? Ive got some fish Im going to make fishcakes with this week and breadcrumbs would come in handy. I have a hand blender that has only seen the light of day once I think. :rotfl: Have visions of spraying walls of kitchen with breadcrumbs if I use that. :eek:

no you can just put them in the bottom of a jog ( like a pyrex) do a few at a time ( eg one slice at a time)

hugh fearnley whittinstall not so long ago on tv did "breadcrumb cookies" someone gave me a link to this but I lost it

Im doing HM fish & chips tonight using up some of my breadcrumbs :D YUM
    :beer: Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast :beer:
  • Chuzzle
    Chuzzle Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

I've been very good and freeze all my leftover bread ends.:T

I would like to make breadcrumbs, but I've not got a food processor.

What is going to be the easiest way to make breadcrumbs please?
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • Magpye
    Magpye Posts: 607 Forumite
    Options
    I would try grating the bread while still frozen, I seem to remember doing this years ago before I could afford a blender. It's easier if you have a mouli grater but still do-able on a box grater. Watch your fingers!
    "All cruelty springs from weakness" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca
    Personal pronouns are they/them/their, please.

I'm intolerant of wheat, citrus, grapes, grape products and dried vine fruits, tomato, and beetroot, and I am also somewhat caffeine sensitive.
  • angchris
    angchris Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    i just use my £5 cheapy hand blender from mr t, rip the bread up and put in a measuring jug and keep your hand over the top of the jug while blitzing or you end up covered in it like i found out first time i did it :rotfl:
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance! :p
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Ruthie,

I use an attachment that came with my stick blender to make breadcrumbs but my sister prefers to grate hers.

There's an earlier thread on making breadcrumbs that should help so I'll add your thread to it to keep all the replies together.

This thread may help with uses for breadcrumbs:

what can I do with breadcrumbs?

Pink
  • Chuzzle
    Chuzzle Posts: 625 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks PW - I will learn to search better soon I promise!!
    Banana Lovers
    Buy your bananas in bunches of 5 on Sunday. Then arrange them in order of ripeness and write a day of the week on each banana in felt pen, Monday on the ripest, Friday on the greenest to save time making those decisions on a hectic weekday morning
  • mattogier
    mattogier Posts: 605 Forumite
    Options
    As the kids (7 of them) don't eat them I usually wizz most of the end crusts in a food processor and pop them in a container in the freezer.

I use the crusts for adding to meatballs & my xmas puddings or coating chicken for Fajhitas or nuggets (I only buy whole Free Range Chicken and butcher them my self and make stock from the bones etc for soup)

For coating add seasoning - salt / pepper / spices / herbs as appropriate to the breadcrumbs and a handful of scrunched up cornflakes (or the dust you get at the end of the bag) and mix this up before coating as has been said before.

If you want a really crunchy coating use more / all cornflakes instead of bread!
    :Dmattogier
    Total Debt Including Mortgage:
    [strike]July 2006 - £179k[/strike] [strike]July 2007 - £159k[/strike] [strike]October 2007 - £154k[/strike] [strike]December 2007 -149k October 2008 - £126,525.40[/strike]
    December 2008 : £120,040.38
    Target: Debt Free before the 2012 Olympics :j
  • KE7285
    KE7285 Posts: 66 Forumite
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I had a stale wholemeal loaf in the kitchen and I whizzed it up in the food processor and mixed with some parsley.to make lovely fresh breadcrumbs.

Does anyone know if i'm supposed to bake these in the oven now or can i just leave them fresh? And how long can i store them in an airtight container?

Thanks muchly! x
  • MUMOF4_2
    MUMOF4_2 Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,
    I would pop them in the freezer, you can then use them straight from the freezer sprinkled over a recipe.
    It's the start of the no takeaway challenge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure