PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

how to make hm breadcrumbs?

Options

Comments

• B-J-D
    B-J-D Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    im making fishcakes for tea but dont have any breadcrumbs, is there anyway i could make my own with out a food prosessor?

are they just a slice of bread crumbled up?
  • overlykeensaver
    Options
    Yes! easy-peasy. Just pop a piece of bread in your food processor and blast away! It turns out better if the bread is slightly stale, but fresh bread will do just as well! when I am feeling productive I sometimes turn my stale leftover slices of bread into bread crumbs and stick them in a pot in the freezer.
  • JMurph
    JMurph Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    BJD if your loaf is fairly stale you should be able to grate it on a thick grater.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You can always toast it to dry it then rub it on the grater. I just left a piece of bread out overnight ready to grate and it was fine, you can pop it in the freezer ready for next time. I always pop the ends of baguettes in the freezer ready :)
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • overlykeensaver
    Options
    sorry I obviously didn't ready your post properly! JMurph is right - a grater should do the trick.
  • MaggieBaking
    MaggieBaking Posts: 964 Forumite
    Options
    I did once try and grate very stale bread with no success :( Never tried it with toast though.

I was SO happy the day I discovered I could make one using one of these which I've had for years http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-HB150-Stick-Hand-Blender/dp/B0000C6WPN/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1304612168&sr=8-5 I got one in the local Tesco for a fiver. (Not the same brand but so you know what I'm talking about!) I was never able to manage any other way. Now I'm a happy happy person. (PS - the hand held blender gets a lot of use in our kitchen and to me it's well worth a buy!) It means I can make lots of dishes that require a food processor.
  • Ben84
    Ben84 Posts: 3,069 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I make breadcrumbs by leaving out a bit of french bread to go dry then put it through the grater. If you need to speed things up you can dry it out on a low gas mark in the oven.

I prefer not to use the blender as it makes bread dust rather than breadcrumbs.
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I find it works best if you leave a couple of slices out overnight then blitz them in the food processor. Once they're really dry keep any left over in a not-quite airtight container, they'll keep for ages
  • B-J-D
    B-J-D Posts: 206 Forumite
    Options
    thank you for takin the time to post. i crumbled a crust up and put in a low oven for 20 mins, waited til it had cooled and crumbled it with my fingers, turned out great!!

will try the grater but i have one of those hand blenders so will use that next thank you maggie!

could i make the bread crumbs and then freeze them? in a food bag or tupperwear tub?
  • seabright
    seabright Posts: 639 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If they're really dry, no need to freeze them, they'll keep as they are. I wonder if freezing would make them soggy when they defrost?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure