PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

how to make hm breadcrumbs?

Options

Comments

• Savannah02K
    Options
    Apols for what might seem to be a silly question but .............. Is there any easy way of making breadcrumbs without buying one of those mini food processors? I’m trying not to buy unless I absolutely have to at the mo and as I’m a veggie, I do use a lot of breadcrumbs for gratins etc. Must admit I do normally cheat and buy the breadcrumbs from Mr T but I want to stop doing that and use ‘fresh’ bread rather than however old those crumbs are! What do you folks do re making your own?
  • lilac_lady
    lilac_lady Posts: 4,469 Forumite
    Options
    Use a grater - works well but watch your fingers!
    " The greatest wealth is to live content with little."

Plato

• dreamyd
    dreamyd Posts: 254 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Try drying it out in the oven until the bread slices are really brittle, let it cool down and dry out completely, then stick it into a strong ziplock bag and bash it to pieces like you would if you are crushing biscuits for a cheesecake. It might take a bit of welly (and time) but it will save your fingers from the grater (especially if you're a bit c*ckhanded like me!:D
    Surviving the ups and downs of life with DH
    RIP Garden Tiger January 2007 - May 2022
    Weight loss 20.5/124lbs
    MF since 12/18

Fashion on the Ration 2022 53/66 coupons remaining
    2022 Decluttering challenge 300/2022 items banished

• jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    coudl you borrow one ?

i don't own one but my mum does , i borrow it and blitz up loads then give it back. Was a bit heavy carrying it to school this morning as i was seeing mum after school. but i don't need one very often so i don't mind and neither does mum.

i've tried grating bread before, i personally found it easier one the bread had gone a bit drier.
  • Savannah02K
    Options
    some great (no pun intended!) tips, thanks, I'll let the bread dry out and then grate it.
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ill merge this with our existing thread on making breadcrumbs later on

this thread has loads of ideas how to use them too :)

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    There is this for £5.99 at Argos, mini chopper...if that helps.
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    I use a grater too! when there are only the two crusts and a few slices of bread left, I grate them and put them in a large freezer bag and pop into the freezer. then I keep adding to it whenever I have some stale bread. you can use it straight from the freezer, as it is used to cook with and makes no difference if you defrost it or not!
    I nearly always have at least 500 grams of fresh breadcrumbs in the freezer, sometimes more! and you arent standing there for ages grating a whole loaf of bread before you can get on with the recipe!
  • Gintotmelinda
    Options
    My mum bless her used to use a metal colander and rub the bread across the inside-a bit like a grater. It wouldn't have been sliced bread though.

Gintot
    "It's hard to be a diamond in a rhinestone world"
  • emiff6
    emiff6 Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I find real bread (as opposed to shop bought loaves that are half soya flour and additives) makes breadcrumbs easily if left out to go stale and dry for a day or two, then simply rubbed between the hands in the same way you rub fat into flour for pastry.

I've been doing it that way ever since I was allocated the job of making crumbs for Christmas bread sauce as a child and shown how to do it by my grandmother. (Though if the FP is out I occasionally make some breadcrumbs in it first, to freeze, before whatever else I'm using it for).
    If I'm over the hill, where was the top?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport