PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What can I do with breadcrumbs?

Options
Have printed off the courgette crumble recipe from the Veggie & Vegan thread, and it got me wondering about what we should infer re. breadcrumbs.

Do most of you understand this to be crumbled bread that you do yourself, or the cardboard tubs of golden crumbs that are for coating e.g. scotch eggs and other deep fried food?

In the courgette recipe, I should think home-made crumbs would be more appropriate, but are the two kinds interchangeable in most recipes? It is probably cheaper to crumble (or use a blender?) a slice or two of not-too-fresh bread, rather than pay 60p or so for a tub.

Perhaps we could have a thread suggesting ways to use up bread that is past its first freshness, other than just toasting it?
:D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

Comments

• culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Options
    I always use home made breadcrumbs when mentioned in recipes
    You can always freeze them for later.
    Use in burgers,mince,fish,scrambled egg to eke out
    use on scotch eggs,fried or baked fish
    use as crumble topping
    make bread pud

any more?
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i use home made breadcrumbs too, kust stick some bread in mixer and whizz it, then freeze it.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I think the courgette recipe is the one I put on the thread and I always use home made breadcrumbs. I use up the end of loaves by just whizzing them up in the processor and then freezing in managable portions in freezer bags. They defrost very easily, just lift out of freezer in and bash the bag about a bit! (great stress reliever! ;D)

I prefer to use wholemeal for this recipe but it does not matter. The bought ones in the packets are yukky (I think)
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    The shop bought always seem to go too crisp!
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    they do, and with home made, i put some herbs in to add flavour.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Oh good idea! I think I'll try that next time! thanks
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • Trow
    Trow Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I prefer fresh breadcrumbs - a favourite healthy pud of ours is to stew a apple or rhubarb or other fruit in season, top with breadcrumbs mixed with dark muscovado sugar and brown under the grill, served with fromage frais - it is very quick and easy too.

I use eating apples so I don't need to add sugar although I sometimes add kiwi fruit - although I do add sugar to the rhubarb. Its great with berries too.
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    that sounds yum trow.
  • franky
    franky Posts: 641 Forumite
    Options
    I always use up stale bread by putting it through food processer and freezing them

waste not want not ;D
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    Options
    I use a couple ofslices of bread and an ounce or twoof cheese whizzed together for topping cauli cheese, lasagne, potato pie etc - much nicer than just breadcrumbs!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure