PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

What can I do with breadcrumbs?

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've been saving bread (homemade mostly, bottom of the loaf from breadmachine, as v difficult to slice) for the last month now to make the stuffing on Xmas day, I made a massive one and we loved it!

Yesterday I made a nice veggie crumble using the breadcrumb made from leftovers of the bread that I did not use for the stuffing:

sauteed all leftover vegs in the fridge, made nice white sauce with soy milk and mixed the lot together, covered with the crumbs and baked, we had friends around at dinner and they loved it!

Caterina

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Wow, that sounds lovely Caterina. I am heading off to the kitchen right now, to do the very same! It will get rid of the last of the sprouts anyway, and I have some elderly carrots and an onion looking for a purpose.

I think I will incorporate Magentasue's suggestion and put some grated cheese in with the breadcrumbs too!

I may be gone a while... ;D
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• halloweenqueen_2
    Options
    Some great ideas with the freezing - my lot hate crusts! The adding of herbs is a good idea - i sometimes add paprika - I love the stuff!
  • Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    When the crumbs have been defrosted, don't they go all mushyt? Just thinking when I take bread out of the freezer it sometimes gets soggy when defrosted for some reason. Can you also re-freeze the breadcrumbs if they were taken from a loaf that has been defrosted? I always throw away my crusts but it would be great to use as breadcrumbs.

Thanks

Alison
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
     I always throw away my crusts but it would be great to use as breadcrumbs.

Thanks

Alison

If you know you aren't going to eat the crusts (and there are no hungry birdies in your garden ;)) why not freeze them when the loaf is new, then you could thaw and make into crumbs when you need to?
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Options
    Fresh breadcrumbs in recipes usually say "breadcrumbs", however, when making things such as HM fishcakes, scotch eggs etc., it often says: "toss in golden breadcrumbs" - the stuff in tubes - (basically because when it comes to HM fishcakes and scotch eggs, the ingredients are usually already cooked/take minimal cooking so "fresh" crumbs are no necessary.

HM *anything* is always preferrable to processed and I do as many of the above posters do.

If all you have though are the "tube/golden" kind, then use those as an emergency standby - otherwise, for breadcrumbs, read "fresh" (or in modern terms - defrosted from fresh ;D )

HTH
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    r the cardboard tubs of golden crumbs that are for coating e.g. scotch eggs and other deep fried food?

Sorry but, yeuk :(

Have you seen what's in them and looked at the price?

Yeuk! :(
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • nabowla
    nabowla Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    I've never tried making my own breadcrumbs before :-[

How old should the bread be? Does it need to be as hard as cardboard or just a bit dry? What's the best way of making breadcrumbs without a processor - using a grater or by hand?
  • Lucie_2
    Lucie_2 Posts: 1,482 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Definately use a blender for your breadcrumbs - grating bread is hard work.
    I doesn't matter how old the bread is, as long as you pick off the mouldy bits! The staler the better really. Fresh bread tend to stick in big clumps when you try to whizz it because it's too "wet". If you need to make breadcrumbs from fresh bread, pop it in the toaster for 30/45 seconds - just until it starts to feel a bit hard. It will then be easier to whizz up into crumbs.

I add allsorts to my breadcumbs - finely grated parmesan cheese & chilli flakes are two of the favourites in our house.
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    I like the idea about adding things to the breadcrumbs.

I have just got a hand or stick blender - do you think that that would work (to make breadcrumbs I mean - not mixed in with the breadcrumbs! ::))?
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family