PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Healthy snacks for kids

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mini weetabix....they come plain or with fruit etc in them.
  • welsh_mummy
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    mini weetabix....they come plain or with fruit etc in them.

Thanks for all the great ideas. Will defo be trying them. Cheers Cranky40, totally forgot about the mini weetabix, son loves these so will be getting them at the weekend.

:T
    MFW - currently at £23,610 (Aug 2014) MFD 2020
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 August 2011 at 7:37AM
    Options
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with our healthy snacks for kids thread

Zip :)
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Chell
    Chell Posts: 1,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morrisons have packs of School bars (fruit type chewy bar found near the dried fruit) for 74p a pack. They are normally almost double that. The ones in our store were dated into 2012 so I stocked up.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    My 4 yr old daughter has been told to avoid peanut products for the next year as part of an allergy research program she is taking part in. She loves peanut butter, and I was told that pumpkin seed butter or sunflower seed butter are good alternatives.
    I am reluctant to buy a whole jar in case she doesn't like it. Have any of you tried any of these things? If so, are they similar in any way to peanut butter? Crunchy or smooth? I have written to a couple of the companies who do these to ask for samples, but am not hopeful.
    She has also been eating peanuts as a snack 3 times per week for the past few years as part of the program, so will miss having those too. What would be the closest alternative that doesn't cost the earth?

BTW, cashew nuts/ butter are not an option as my other daughter is allergic to cashew and I have been advised not to have it in the house just in case.
    If my wee one finds it too hard to avoid them completely, then we will deal with that as it occurs, but I would like to give it a go as it is a great research project.
    Any information you could give me would be gratefully received.

TIA
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would she be able to eat something like pistachio's as a snack? Sorry don't know a lot about nut allergys so don't know if that is a silly idea.

My lot like to munch on pumpkin and poppy seeds as a snack.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • ladylouise62
    Options
    There is almond butter (in health shops if you don't have a large enough supermarket). But, if I remember correctly, nut butter is only nuts ground to a paste with maybe salt and or sugar and a little fat to aid cohesion.. so have a go yourself with a small amount just to see if it tastes right for her.
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    What about other nuts? Nut butters are extremely easy to make, almond butter can be done using raw or lightly roasted almonds for a smokey flavour. Just blitz in a blender, you will see them turn to chunks, then powdery, then it will start to look more oily and you will eventually end up with a crunchy/grainy butter, blitz longer and it will be nice and smooth. No need for salt or sugar, add a tiny bit of oil to get a smoother butter. Raw almond butter makes a nice chocolatey butter by adding vanilla and cocoa powder.
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I adore almond butter! Easy enough to get in the supermarket and it is delicious :D
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure