PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Healthy snacks for kids

Options

Comments

• BonkeyDollocks
    Options
    snack a jacks oatcakes jelly homemade hobnobs cupcakes fairycakes frittata
  • Anita1075
    Options
    I've seen these tubes on offer at I think it was Co-op and I bought a lot of boxes of them and put them in the freezer. They can then either be used to lunch snacks or for an ice cream alternative.
  • Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    I know this is an oldish thread, but I felt compelled to share my latest idea with everyone in the hope it's a good one!

My other half has recently been indulging in the Activia Intensely Creamy yogurts and it occurred to me this week that the little pots would make great containers for jelly to go in lunchboxes. The pots are nice looking containers, a good size, and although I've yet to test it properly, appear to have a good lip for putting a clingfilm lid on with an elastic band (other lid suggestions would be welcomed).

My other half LOVES jelly and is meant to be on a diet so I thought if I used the sugar free jelly to make up enough pots for a week it would be a nice way for him to be good while doing a spot of moneysaving at the same time.

For those of you with kids (and have the time), I thought you could make them more fun by creating different coloured/flavoured layers which should work quite well with the semi-transparent pots.
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • littlemissmoneypenny
    Options
    Such a good idea, thanks! I buy the activia yoghurts and always think it is such a shame to throw the pot away, it's one of those that looks useful :)
  • welsh_mummy
    Options
    My son has just started school and needs a daily playtime snack. He is asking for crisps (as he has seen the bigger kids eating them) but I am wanting to give him cheap healthy filling snacks but I am stuck for ideas.

Does anyone have any recipes/suggestions for me to try.

Thanks in advance
    MFW - currently at £23,610 (Aug 2014) MFD 2020
  • Buttonmoons
    Buttonmoons Posts: 13,323 Forumite
    Options
    Flapjacks would be a good snack, I don't have a receipe for them though but I intend to make em'.

My daughter just started school too and I asked her what everyone else had for snack and it was "crisps" and "sweeties" - thus she asked if she could have, I said "sometimes" but she was happy with her pineapple slice I sent her in with. I've bought frube yoghurt type things too.
  • welsh_mummy
    Options
    Cheers Buttonmoons (cool name by the way) - sent him in with a banana & cereal bar yesterday & he ate both! School has a fruity friday so it will be fruit again tomorrow - but starting next week will be there every playtime.

Might take him to asda so he can pick some snacks!
    MFW - currently at £23,610 (Aug 2014) MFD 2020
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    fruit, raisins and nuts, muffins (sweet and savoury), flapjack, crackers and cream cheese/ pnb
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • nannyboo1
    nannyboo1 Posts: 514 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    the children I look after love yoghurt covered fruit snacks in a bag
    :wave: Kate :hello:
  • drusilla
    drusilla Posts: 294 Forumite
    Options
    You might want to check with the school. Some have a 'healthy schools award' and only allow certain snacks. The older children may be sneaking in contraband! ;)
    De cluttering Konvert.
    Getting there

Finding a new home under all the STUFF!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills