PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Healthy snacks for kids

Options

Comments

• mum26
    mum26 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2009 at 11:27AM
    Options
    I feel your pain, half term here so six hungry children in and out of the cupboards ALL DAY! Driving me mad and broke, lol.

I second the crackers option, especially if they will have a bit of cheese on top as the protein helps them stay fuller. I also buy boxes of breadsticks and a tub of whatever soft cheese is on offer (philadelphia, shops own brand etc) and they have home made dippers, also good with nutella.

A hot lunch does help, such as scrambled eggs or beans on toast.

We go through so much fruit it is horrific, I bought two bags of nine apples last night and already a bag and a half has gone!
  • dobs
    dobs Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The popcorn is a great idea, if they don't like it totally plain a pinch of sugar sprinkled over them makes them taste nice.
    I also do crackers with grated cheese on (makes the cheese go further). We also were able to buy a few big garlic pizzas and cheese and tom pizzas which they have, if they don't eat a whole one up they have it cold later or next day. Also Asda do garlic bread in smartprice range, not too strong so they love it and have that hot and then the rest cold later.
    I also made a huge lot of cheese pastry and normal pastry, plus big batch fairy cakes and froze half so that when we do run low i have back ups, the fairy cakes defrost really quickly. I bought melon this week as i find it lasts a long time, surprising how many slices you can get from just one melon, lasts much longer than a pack of apples.
    grocery challenge jan 17 £ / 350.00
  • mum26
    mum26 Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought while I was in the kitchen putting swill in the trough... sorry - food on the table - CRUMPETS!
  • tattoed_bum
    tattoed_bum Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Options
    when we were kids my mum used to make us french bread pizza using a big french stick that way we all got whatever flavour we wanted . also pancakes are really cheap and easy she used to make both kinds the big thin flat ones and the scottish drop scone type ,
    she also used to get the big bags of frozen french fries do them in the oven and then put them in paper bags like mac donalds (there were 4 of us plus a mate of my brothers who lived with us 90% of the time ).
    not very healthy but we also had hotdogs ,
    fairy cakes were also a big feature as were jam tarts and fruit tarts ,
  • frugalsar
    frugalsar Posts: 609 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi does anyone have any ideas for cheap healthy school snacks that will last all week when I make them, this is the first year that they don't get free fruit so I usually make flapjacks on the sunday night and wrap them in cling film in the fridge and they last all week but they are getting a little boring!
    Best Threads -
    greenfingered - oldstyle - grabbit
  • mommygoose
    Options
    How about cheese sticks? My mom used to make these and we loved them.
  • LMCD
    LMCD Posts: 649 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was going to suggest a few things but I read the name frugal there...so if they are not suited to you I do apologise.... I buy fruit/raisins/frubes/biscuit packs/mini cheddars/crisps when they are on offer.......so its mixed and matched on a daily basis with a drink of juice - sometimes I think oh no crisps aren't healthy but I make sure son gets no more than two packets of crisps/cheddars a week and its nice for thm to have a treat, they are growing so fast and running bout burning energy and I know I brush his teeth plus with the schools toothbrushing scheme then there won't be much of a problem in the long run...
  • JulieGeorgiana
    Options
    I make cheese straw and scones... you can freeze both well and take them out in the morning! I add the butter and Jam to the scones before freezing too!!!

I also buy choobs (yogurt) so they can be frozen and eaten at a reasonable temperature at lunchtime!
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!
    :dance: Mortgage Free Wannabe :dance:
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
  • slummymummyof3
    Options
    I wouldn't class flapjacks as healthy myself.....with all the sugar and syrup.

Have you thought about chopping up some fresh red peppers/carrot battons etc?
  • purpleheather2810
    Options
    Some good ideas already.... You could bake muffins etc, freeze them separately and then you could take them out of the freezer as needed.
    :D Skint but happy with my lovely family :D

Hypnotherapy rocks :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family