PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Healthy snacks for kids

Comments

• Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 17 May 2009 at 1:42PM
    One of the things I realised when my kids were little, I was trying to keep them off junk and economise on the budget was that if it wasn't in the house, they couldn't eat it!

Crisps, pop, ice lollies, choccie biscuits etc etc and all the expensive stuff that doesn't really fill them up, I bought in small quantities as and when treats were planned!

Plain biscuits, jam butties, cheese on toast cut into fingers, Weetabix, fruit, handful of raisins from the baking cupboard, slices of HM fruit loaf, scones, scotch pancakes, HM milk shake all quick, cheap nutritious fillers.

A 'treat' is more of a treat if you don't have it so often!
  • nettles77
    nettles77 Posts: 518 Forumite
    as they no holidays and dont want them eating loads sweets n chocs etc. thanks
  • sooty&sweep
    sooty&sweep Posts: 1,316 Forumite
    Hi

Well stocked fruit bowl, carrots in fridge, dried raisins and apricots, little pots of yogurt.

Jen
  • Taye
    Taye Posts: 473 Forumite
    Ok i have figured out it's snacking that is slowely becoming the killer, i have two boy's with hollow legs who never seem to be full, they are both very skinny and i have no concern's over thier weight, but geeze they can't half eat.

I went into half term confident that i have enough food for the entire week... 8 banana's 10 apples, bunch of grapes, 4 packs of biscuits, 2 loaves of bread, 12 pack of crisp's, 9 yogurts, a home made banana cake and a whole load of other stuff later i felt like old mother hubbard and had to pop to the shops last night spending £35!! of my £150 months food budget.

Anyone got some nice cheap snack idea's for bettween meals? some healthy and some not so good is fine??
    This months aim :- Stick to food Budget / find £100 for my car insurance
    May GC :- £250/£234.55 :T:A:T
    June GC :- £150/£127.37:eek:
  • huston_kw
    huston_kw Posts: 552 Forumite
    Popcorn kernels are about two-three quid a bag (Mr A) and my last bag lasted 3 years, you only need 1 tablespoon of the kernels in the pan and that feeds four of us (mine are 3&4).
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Taye,

I have two skinny boys with empty legs too who would quite happily eat me out of house and home.

Some cheapish in between snacks that fill them up are: toast with butter and marmite, egg sandwiches, banana milkshakes, scones, hm cereal bars, raisins, raw veg with dips, buttered digestive biscuits, and of course fruit...lots and lots of fruit!

There's lots more ideas on these threads:

cheap/ healthy snacks

Healthy snacks for kids

Ideas please for savoury peanut butter snacks

Cheap healthy playground snacks

I'll add your thread to the first link later to keep the replies together.

Pink
  • Home bargains is great for the cheap 'not so healthy' options -often they have very cheap offers on crisps, nuts, chocolate, cereal bars, cup a soups etc...

Popcorn is great too as the above poster says...

Other than that sort of thing, and fruit, I cant think of much else!
  • Glamazon
    Glamazon Posts: 8,401 Forumite
    Hi Taye

My OH is a bit like this - last night I made a HUGE batch of chocolate flapjacks but cut them into small pieces. He thinks nothing of eating 3 bigger pieces but I can call him a pig if he tries to eat the equivalent in smaller pieces. I find them filling.
    A very busy Yummy Mummy to a 1 year old gorgeous boy :smileyhea

Where does the time go? :think:
  • Goodness I hear ya! my OH does not put on any weight at all and I feed him constantly!Lol

I find a carb/protein snack is the best way i.e. banana or peanut butter on toast. Porridge with fruity toppings, he seems to find that he is less hungry when he drinks lots of water through the day.

Maybe get them to sip on water through the day??:confused: dehydration is often confused with hunger. Although I am not allied health professional!

You may have to just give in and accept that boys eat A LOT!:D
    Spreading the gospel that is Martin Lewis to the future generation....I'm a Home Economics Teacher and being thrifty is the way!:A
  • howskint?
    howskint? Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I found a recipe on here (not sure how to do links) for home made wraps. Think it was 12oz flour, 180ml water, 2 tbs oil. - makes about 12. Roll them out and fry them in a frying pan. My kids love them and they're really quick and easy to make. We make it fun where they can pick their own fillings or they use different fillings to make faces, patterns etc on them before they eat them. They're really filling too.
    I also find crackers a cheap filling snack.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure