PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Healthy snacks for kids

Options

Comments

• chika
    chika Posts: 848 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Any nut butter is great - I'm really in love with Hazlenut butter, its about £2 for a jar.
    A good alternative for peanuts is toasted sunflower seeds. Just get some sunflower seeds and toast gently in a pan then allow to cool. They can burn easily so watch them but they are fab.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,970 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I don't know whether soy nuts might do the same thing? Have you tried things like Houmous? My sister in law gives her small daughter tapenade.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Some great suggestions there. I will have a go making my own nut butters. I was looking at other nuts in the supermarket today and they are all so pricey compared to peanuts. I'm really hoping that there may be some on offer after Christmas. Do they normally reduce those?

I avoid humous too as dd1 allergic to sesame, so I prefer it not to be spread around!!!! The 4 yr old hated it when she tried it anyway.

I will give her a go with toasted sunflower seeds too. Sounds good.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    If anyone notices any good offers anywhere for post-Xmas nuts, please post them here for me!!
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ive merged this with our healthy snacks for kids thread

this thread may also help

Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Jitterbug
    Jitterbug Posts: 409 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there

My son takes a morning snack to school (usually fruit, cereal bar or mini brioche) and a packed lunch made up of sandwich (or sometimes pasta bake leftovers), fruit, yogurt, and 'extra thing' like mini cheese, mini salami or sausage roll and a sweet treat like a chocolate biscuit bar or little cake if I have made some.

I'd like to switch to making homemade, inexpensive treats for his snack and the 'extras' in his lunch box but can't seem to get past flapjacks and rice krispie cakes!

Does anyone have any nice suggestions? He's not fussy at all, sweet or savoury is fine and I like to bake and cook so can take on most things!

Thanks in advance :D
  • Bella79
    Bella79 Posts: 1,197 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    One word

TWINKS !
  • anniemf2508
    anniemf2508 Posts: 1,848 Forumite
    Options
    http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/744/apple-muffins.aspx
    i make these pretty much every week, you can change the fruit in them each time and you could make mini muffins instead.
  • old_and_happy
    Options
    i make these pretty much every week, you can change the fruit in them each time and you could make mini muffins instead.

This could be perfect for me. But I’m stupidly picky with fruit! (as in just don’t like it…)

I love Apple Juice but the actual taste/texture of an apple I can’t stand!

Does this taste more like Apple Juice?

Could I possibly try it with soft fruit like berrys?
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is slightly off topic, but can I ask what twinks are? I keep seeing them mentioned in this context and still have no idea. I tried googling once and I did not get a description of a baked item:o:eek:

Back on topic--if you aren't looking for specifically healthy things, what about brownies or american style cookies? Both are fairly easy to portion up and can last several days. I would also consider muffins which can be made as healthy/treatlike as you want, or dense cakes that can be sliced, like banana cake. I make stuff like this once a week for puds/oh to take to work and it usually lasts for about 3-4 days before it starts to get a bit stale or soggy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure