PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Healthy snacks for kids

Options

Comments

• myusernamehasgone_2
    Options
    blueberrys and raspberrys go really well in muffins
  • FairyPrincessk
    FairyPrincessk Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks so much MG! I've been wondering about this for MONTHS. After I googled I asked a British friend who bakes and she wasn't sure either (and also made the mistake of googling it)
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Nothing to add but just wanted to say thank you for asking this as im also looking for some inspiration (but maybe with more healthy ideas than what has been suggested so far :) )
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • kittycat204
    kittycat204 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Options
    plain or slightly flavoured popcorn, home popped.
    seed, nut, flapjack type bars.
    breadsticks with low fat cream cheese.
    hummous and carrot sticks.
    jelly with fruit.
    savory muffins.
    if you get the takeaway secret book there is a gorgeous cookie recipe. this can be batched and cooked from frozen. so you could do that and then just take them out one at a time when the oven is on and you need one for the next day.
    dried fruit, could coat in a small amount of value choc yourself.
    home dried apple slices, if you find a cheap/reduced bag.
    pea and broadbean dip with crisp breads.

look at http://www.graze.com/ for inspiration. have had a few free boxes off them, love their food. couldn't afford it, but would love to.
    cheese straws
    http://www.phunkyfoods.co.uk/parents/snacks

big thumbs up for twinks. there is a huge thread about them. gorgeous.
    Opinion on everything, knowledge of nothing.
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess they are kinda flapjacky, but it's another variation... http://www.rivercottage.net/recipes/honey-peanut-butter-booster-bars/

I made the banana version and - Oh.My.Goodness! They almost never made it to the oven :o :A

Or you could make up little muffins? I have a mini loaf pan and I made up some savoury loaves and gave her some sliced cheese and good ham so she could make her own little sandwiches. Kinda like those horrid little snacky things, whatever they're called.

Slightly spiced, and probably un-iced (for a reduced sugar hit), carrot cake muffins? Or banana muffins?

Fruit loaf? Heat oven to 180. Put 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of dried fruit, a cup of sugar and a 1/4 cup of butter into a pan and heat gently, till melted. Cool down and add in 2 cups self-raising flour and an egg. Bake tilll done - roughly 45 mins.

My daughter usually takes a banana for her playtime snack and a sandwich, yoghurt and either a tub of plum tomatoes/cucumber/pepper sticks or diced melon, grapes, soft berries, apples. I've sent her with more (or pasta/rice salads, etc) but she either just doesn't eat it or doesn't have time - because she's too busy talking! Sometimes she's taken a little biscuit/cake that she's baked but that's more or less it.

You could even make courgette cake!
  • kittycat204
    kittycat204 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    Options
    carrot and banana cake

Ingredients
    Serves:!16
    • 5 tablespoons!olive oil
    • 125g!sugar
    • 2!eggs
    • 250g!plain flour
    • 1 teaspoon!bicarbonate of soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon!salt
    • 1 teaspoon!ground cinnamon
    • 150g!mashed ripe bananas
    • 120g!grated carrots
    • 50g!chopped walnuts (optional)

Preparation method
    Prep:!10 mins |!Cook:!55 mins!|!Extra time:!10 mins, cooling

Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin.

In a bowl, combine oil and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Combine flour, bicarb, salt and cinnamon; gradually add to the oil and egg mixture alternately with bananas. Stir in carrots and nuts, if using.

Tip into the prepared tin and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a skewer inserted near the centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from tin to a wire rack to cool completely.

Substitution
    Feel free to use rapeseed, sunflower or vegetable oil instead of olive oil in this recipe.

weetabix cake i nicked off another thread

2 crushed Weetabix
    1 cup of sultanas
    2 cups of Self raising flour
    1 cup of sugar

Mix these dry ingredients together, then add

1 cup of milk and a teaspoon of mixed spice

Stir again and pour the mix into a greased loaf tin, bake at 325 degrees for about 45 mins.

Its wonderful slightly warm and always with butter/spread.

i like welsh griddle cakes cold, or the thick pancakes

could make individual trifles, lemon posset etc if you can get a small pot with a lid.
    Opinion on everything, knowledge of nothing.
  • lally666young
    Options
    I make good old crispie and cornflake cakes, simple and cheap and there is never any left over. And you can use cheapie cornflakes as well, so they only cost coppers to make. Infact I usually have to make 2 batches!!!! also Mars bar slice, melt a mars bar add cornflakes shape and cool. Very very moorish!!!
    Has anyone seen my last marble:A:A:A:A
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.LZ member Soylent Green Supervisor
  • rosie383
    rosie383 Posts: 4,981 Forumite
    Options
    Just a wee tip: if you ever get a takeaway and you get the wee plastic tubs of garlic mayo or chilli sauce, wash and keep them as they are perfect for lunch boxes. You can fit a kiddie-sized portion of fruit in one very easily, and my wee one has usually 3 in her lunch bag. They will even hold a wee fairy cake perfectly so it's not squashed by lunch time.
    we don't get a takeaway very often, but I have still managed to gather up quite a few of these little tubs and they are invaluable. Oh, and they are leak-proof too. So I pop one full of salad dressing into my dh's lunch, so he can have crisp salad and dress it himself.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    :D:D:D
  • snowleopard61
    Options
    Home-made pizza slices (batch-baked and frozen for convenience) - either with a ready-made base or one made from a mix or from scratch or even (as I used to) a savoury scone dough.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • shandyclover
    shandyclover Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sliced apple wedges and peanut butter.

Odd combination I know, but well worth a try. My family never puts peanut butter on bread now.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure