Cheapest iPhone discussion

Options

Comments

• Louisa2010
    Louisa2010 Posts: 94 Forumite
    Options
    daggy wrote: »
    That's why you should record the call, then you have proof of offer.
    Makes no sense to say it'sonly valid for one call, easy way to lose customers... of course also an easy way to make people take a deal.

I know-i put ina complaint about it all and apparently they are going to credit my account when i get my iphone-i'll believe it when i see it -they haven't had any new or refurb 3gs iphones in stock for almost 2 weeks.

i will actually be amazed if i get it next week-they have said more due in next week so we will see

fed up now-i have 30 dys left on my contract as they changed it to sim only-and even that doesnt help when no stock to haggle!
  • scottcru
    scottcru Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've had an iphone 3G since January 2009 and paying £35 per month on O2. I never use the whole call or text allowance, although I love the phone and make good use of all the other functionality. Am I able to drop to a cheaper tariff or am I locked in for the 18 months ? is it best to call O2 customer services or go into a shop to get a deal.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • daggy
    daggy Posts: 1,167 Forumite
    Options
    scottcru wrote: »
    I've had an iphone 3G since January 2009 and paying £35 per month on O2. I never use the whole call or text allowance, although I love the phone and make good use of all the other functionality. Am I able to drop to a cheaper tariff or am I locked in for the 18 months ? is it best to call O2 customer services or go into a shop to get a deal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Think someone said you can drop one tariff per month, so from £35 to £30 etc...
    Not on o2 so mayb e someone else could elaborate.
    Simplicity sim maybe?

Also, assuming yiou want to wait to upgrade until the new iphone comes out?
  • RCarling
    RCarling Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    just rang O2 retentions, was amazed when they said they had the 3Gs refurbs in stock, quickly went through the quoting process and got the deal I wanted. Only for the girl on the phone to say for some reason when she's gone to order it there is no stock

So it seems even when you're told they're in stock they actually aren't

O2 are beginning to annoy me now
  • southernguy_2
    Options
    daggy wrote: »
    That's why you should record the call, then you have proof of offer.
    Makes no sense to say it'sonly valid for one call, easy way to lose customers... of course also an easy way to make people take a deal.

Don't forget if you record a telephone call you are legally bound to inform the caller that the call is being recorded.

Just like the companies do when we phone up and they say your call may be recorded for training or monitoring purposes

Although when people phone up to request a recording it always seems not to exist!
  • loopy_lass
    loopy_lass Posts: 1,551 Forumite
    Options
    im thinking i only really want an iphone to be trendy, i dont really use all the calls or texts, some innternet would be good just to check emails. i dont really understand or see the need for the apps on iphone, who needs to plot their sleep patterns? and i certainly dont want to pay 10 per app ontop of everything.

so maybe im better off getting a touch screen phone which is the attraction.

loops
    THE CHAINS OF HABIT ARE TOO WEAK TO BE FELT UNTIL THEY ARE TOO STRONG TO BE BROKEN... :A
  • MR_J_5
    MR_J_5 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    loopy_lass wrote: »
    im thinking i only really want an iphone to be trendy, i dont really use all the calls or texts, some innternet would be good just to check emails. i dont really understand or see the need for the apps on iphone, who needs to plot their sleep patterns? and i certainly dont want to pay 10 per app ontop of everything.

so maybe im better off getting a touch screen phone which is the attraction.

loops

Loops, that was where I started from and then after a week online and a day looking at all the current mobiles in the stores I came to the conclusion that the iphone does everything I want, and quite a few I don't to be fair. Better than any of the other phones I have seen. And there is no denying it looks stunning too.
    So here I am looking for the best deal on an iphone:o I think in the end if I had gone for anything else I would have ended up comparing it to an iphone and wishing I had just gone for it.
  • MR_J_5
    MR_J_5 Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Spoke to O2 retentions, twice, no refurbs, but everyone was at least polite and helpful. They offered a 16gb 3G for £25 PM 300mins ulimited texts and data, over 18 months paying £89 for the phone. The 16gb 3GS with the same limits at £30 per month costing either £149 over 24 months or £179 over 18. At the moment not knowing when the refurbs are going to hit I'm considering just paying the £179 and going for the deal on the 3GS I know I'm only getting the extra minutes ie £35 tariff for £30 but not knowing when the refurbs will be in I honestly don't know if I will be able to get a better deal than this. What do you guys think?
    Oh and the first time I was called the chap offered me the 16gb 3GS for free on the £45 pm eighteen month tariff, a quick bit of calculating would seem to suggest that if I can drop a tariff a month from 9 months onwards this would cost me around £510 over the first twelve months against £539 if I went for the £30 PM deal over the same period.
    Decisions, decisions. :)
  • uzubairu
    uzubairu Posts: 1,200 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    MR_J wrote: »
    Loops, that was where I started from and then after a week online and a day looking at all the current mobiles in the stores I came to the conclusion that the iphone does everything I want, and quite a few I don't to be fair. Better than any of the other phones I have seen. And there is no denying it looks stunning too.
    So here I am looking for the best deal on an iphone:o I think in the end if I had gone for anything else I would have ended up comparing it to an iphone and wishing I had just gone for it.

Just the same as my OH who was always a tightwad when it came to mobile phones.
    Same cheap PAYG phone for years and only topping up £10 or £15 every other month.

He now has an 16GB 3GS iPhone and simply adores it. It is on Tesco PAYG.
    Obsessed with the many Apps available and it has made him a lot more organised with just one device (he doesn't use his PDA anymore).

You can't fault it's styling whatever you think about Apple.
  • warlieb
    warlieb Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    I called the Upgrades Dept and the best deal (I'm upgrading) they could offer was:

Free Refurb 8gb iPhone 3G
    300 mins
    Unlimited SMS/data/wifi
    18 month contract
    £35 per month

When I asked if she could do any cheaper than that, she sighed and said no that's the best they can do and that'd be the cheapest offer I'd be able to find! So I told her I was going elsewhere.

Then I later called 202 (Retentions) and was offered:

Free Refurb 16g iPhone 3G
    300 mins
    Unlimted SMS/data/wifi
    18 month contract
    £30 per month

I pay £30 p/m now on my Samsung Tocco, so I think it's a pretty good deal? Not as good as the previous poster though, but good enough for me! Not 100% keen on a 'refurb' phone, but she assured me it'd look brand new and I have 14 days to return it if not happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure