Cheapest iPhone discussion

Former_MSE_Lawrence
Former_MSE_Lawrence Posts: 975 Forumite
edited 13 October 2011 at 5:02PM in Mobiles
articlealert.gif
This is the old thread is specifically to discuss the content of the
To discuss or ask a question about this article, please refer to the new thread.

Comments

• Leopard
    Leopard Posts: 1,786 Forumite

I think that if you view the iPhone for what it is - essentially an iPod Touch that can get online where there's no WiFi signal - rather than as a somewhat cumbersome mobile 'phone with a pointlessly pathetic 2 MP camera, then a second-hand 2G iPhone with an O2 PAYG iPhone SIM makes brilliant sense.

It really depends on just how much you will need to access data when out of range of a WiFi signal and whether the additional speed of 3G is worth to you the huge additional cost of a 3G iPhone contract.

My view, anyway. :)

Don't laugh at banana republics. :rotfl:

As a result of how you voted in the last three General Elections,
    you'd now be better off living in one.

• In the iPhone article where it talks about the old 2G iPhone, it states
    Plus to soup it up, the 3G's software (version 2.0) can be bought for the older model for just £5.99.

That is in fact the cost of the software update for the iPod touch. The version 2.0 software update for the 2G iPhone is in fact free.

As soon as you connect a 2G iPhone running the old software to iTunes, you will receive a message offering to update your iPhone to the new version of software.
  • Orange will not have the iPhone in the UK this year - O2's exclusive deal lasts longer than that. See their response to this speculation here.

If using an original iPhone on PAYG data costs need not be high - just get a regular O2 PAYG SIM and add the £10 per month Web & WiFi bolt on to get the same 'unlimited' data as monthly subscribers. It is possible to get unlimited data cheaper on other networks, but not including WiFi from 2 commercial providers (The Cloud and BT Openzone).
  • FYI: Martin/Site owners/moderators

The new 2.0 software for iPhones does not cost £5.99 for original iPhone owners, it is free for iPhone owners. However iPod Touch owners do pay £5.99.

;)
  • big_T_4
    big_T_4 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Looks to me like £60 + £20 cashback is achievable from Carphone Warehouse via Quidco?
    <http://www.quidco.com/mobiles-utilities/carphone-warehouse/&gt;
  • jackbremer
    jackbremer Posts: 223
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I spoke with an o2 store manager who said iPhone on PAYG will cost £450 and be available in time for Christmas.

The posters above are correct, it's free to upgrade old iPhone to v2.0 software - I'm typing this on mine on the bus! To be honest, I don't need the satnav (no car and cell phone mast triangulation is fine for me) and the Edge Internet is totally acceptable IMHO!

I will however be migrating my iPhone contract to a business tariff and adding on a couple of my staff all of us with the new iPhone. I can then flog this one to CEX for a healthy packet!

As MacUser magazine pointed out this month, O2 and Apple are essentially giving you a free, albeit chunky, iPod touch when u upgrade to iPhone 3G as you can keep the old iPhone!
  • fiish
    fiish Posts: 815
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just a comment on the article's section on unlocking the iPhone...

Only the 2G (old) iPhone can be unlocked with the current software tools. There is a method of unlocking the 3G (new) model using a special attachment to the SIM card, but the 'easy' software unlock isn't available yet.

Jailbreaking and unlocking are not the same. Jailbreaking is removing the locks on the iPhone software, which prevent programs not approved by Apple from running on the iPhone. Unlocking is patching the firmware on the telephone chip in the iPhone so that it will not verify the operator before connecting. A jailbreak is required for the unlock to happen.
  • ryandeean
    ryandeean Posts: 14 Forumite
    What is the best way of getting out of my current contract with 3 mobile and getting an iphone. Does anyone know if o2 would buy out my contract - it runs out in October.

Thanks in advance.
  • Orange will not have the iPhone in the UK this year - O2's exclusive deal lasts longer than that. See their response to this speculation here.

I take it you haven't read the sources article about why Orange will have the iphone then. What you posted means absolutely nothing.

o2 have allegedly broken their terms meaning Apple don't have to keep them exclusive, and orange have been very close to them in other areas.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The internet is a great way to get on the net."
    - Bob Dole, Republican presidential candidate
    [/FONT]
  • incesticde
    incesticde Posts: 461
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I take it you haven't read the sources article about why Orange will have the iphone then. What you posted means absolutely nothing.

o2 have allegedly broken their terms meaning Apple don't have to keep them exclusive, and orange have been very close to them in other areas.

http://www.9to5mac.com/denial
    "I don't want to sound cold and un-caring, but I am those things so that's the way it comes out" - Bill Hicks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure