Cheapest iPhone discussion

Options

Comments

• colony
    colony Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    Hello, what is the cheapest way to get an iphone now?

The thread hasn't been updated in a while. :T
    Wins: Avene Protective Hydrating Cream; 2 x Calvin harris Tickets @ iTunes Festival.

Debts: Student Loan £14207.93; Graduate Loan £400 ; Car loan £19000
  • parallax_20
    parallax_20 Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    The cheapest way to get the iPhone is to buy one on PAYG. Alternatively you could get a 1st Gen iPhone if they stock anymore for £99 through upgrades I think.

I still don't get the iPhone hype. There are much better phones out there, like the newly released Omnia HD on Orange.
  • colony
    colony Posts: 205 Forumite
    Options
    The cheapest way to get the iPhone is to buy one on PAYG.

So is that through O2?
    Do you have to stick with their PAYG package or can you put a cheap Pay Monthy Sim in there and still keep the free 12 months unlimited data and Wi-Fi access. Also which cashback website is it best to go through?
    Wins: Avene Protective Hydrating Cream; 2 x Calvin harris Tickets @ iTunes Festival.

Debts: Student Loan £14207.93; Graduate Loan £400 ; Car loan £19000
  • parallax_20
    parallax_20 Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    You will need to read up on the PAYG T&C's for the iPhone. But I believe the free internet is tied to the sim and the WIFI is tied to the IMEI of the handset. But you don't have to use the supplied SIM with the iPhone. There is nothing to stop you from putting in an O2 contract sim into the phone and using that instead. You just have to buy the web add-on for the contract sim to use the internet or switch SIMs with the PAYG for internet.

Quidco and Topcashback are the only two I use, which give about the same cashback. Although you don't get much for PAYG handsets, probably a £5 if you're lucky.
  • minimoneysaver
    minimoneysaver Posts: 2,222 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm so tempted. I think I may have to take the plunge and buy one. I've got a really good retention deal with unlimited internet, so i'll put my O2 sim card into a pay as you go iphone.... and hopefully it'll be as simple as that.
  • ITRUK
    ITRUK Posts: 70 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm so tempted. I think I may have to take the plunge and buy one. I've got a really good retention deal with unlimited internet, so i'll put my O2 sim card into a pay as you go iphone.... and hopefully it'll be as simple as that.

If you hold out till mid July a new iphone is supposed to be out then :)

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/05/next-gen-iphone-specs-launch-date-revealed/
  • $"£!$&^*"$!&*(
    Options
    I read on the Guardian Tech site that Apple are due to unveil the new Iphone today (Mon 8th)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/jun/07/apple-launch-new-iphone

Been talked about muchly in the Online Tech World. Apparently, there are minor changes, including an FM Antenna (not heavily demanded by users). Price is also going to stay the same from what I'm reading.

Guess we will see. I intended on holding out until July before getting one anyway, so will await the announcement before deciding.
  • madison-nyc
    madison-nyc Posts: 576 Forumite
    edited 8 June 2009 at 10:25AM
    Options
    I wanted an iphone but didn't want to pay £35 pm , which was the cheapest option with CPW.

As i was due for an upgrade anyway i upgraded to a samsung tocco ultra and got 400 mins , unlimited texts and a free web bolt on (200mb pm) and £50 cashback for £25 pm.

They sent me a new 3g sim card as it was needed for the tocco.

I then sold the tocco ultra for £250 and bought a 2nd gen iphone for £165 and put my card in , all works fine. As others havesaid the only thing you can't use is th free wifi in mcdonalds and starbucks etc. The cloud i think it's called and the visual voicemail. Neither of which i'd used anyway.

So i ened up with the iphone , which i love! for a much more affordable £25 per month!

And the phone isn't unlocked , it accepted my O2 sim no problems and as soon as i plugged in to ituend i have the newest software on it now too.

Another point about the camera , whilst it is only a 2mp i have to say the pictures are better quality than the 5mp on my lg viewty. The high mp rating doesn't awlays mean the pictures are going to be better. It's the quality of the lense and all the other bits too that make the difference.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use my iphone 2g with my Vodafone sim card, love it to pieces but really want a 3g one.
  • spal123
    spal123 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Options
    Hello all,

Does this sound about right....

A 2G IPhone from Ebay is likely to cost about £200
    Upgrading it by connecting to ITunes will get the software upgraded for free
    O2 Iphone sim is needed rather than basic O2 sim but this is free and I can port my existing number to it
    Will have to pay £10/month for O2 Web & Wi-Fi Bolt On

Then will get free unlimited internet, a bit slower than a 3G connection but probably OK for occassional use and won't be able to use it as a GPS gadget (but has some other kind of less sophisticated navigational software on it).
    I can't see the problem with not getting free internet in McDonalds, etc by having the 2G version if the £10/mo bolt on gives free internet anyway or am I missing something here?

Also memory limitations not likely to be a problem if I don't use it to store lots of music but do quite like the idea of getting lots of Apps??

Does this seem correct and the cheapest way to get and use an IPhone?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport