We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Virgin Media Retention thread

1…7475777980…429

Comments

  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,084
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    SayWot wrote: »
    Renewed my current deal:

    Broadband L + Wireless router
    £11 Phone Line

    Total £17.50 p/m

    Good deal?
    Is this just the price for the first 3 months, or for the full year, as I cant find anything near that price (£17.50 for phone line & broadband) on their website.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • onejontwo
    onejontwo Posts: 1,089
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    Forumite
    davemorton wrote: »
    Is this just the price for the first 3 months, or for the full year, as I cant find anything near that price (£17.50 for phone line & broadband) on their website.

    You won't find it on their website, you have to barter down the price to whatever you can.
    I managed to get L BB
    L phone (evenings + weekends)
    phone line
    Free installation
    All for £19.40 per month for 12 month contract
  • SayWot
    SayWot Posts: 6 Forumite
    davemorton wrote: »
    Is this just the price for the first 3 months, or for the full year, as I cant find anything near that price (£17.50 for phone line & broadband) on their website.

    It's for the year.
  • qxt123
    qxt123 Posts: 56 Forumite
    edited 23 August 2009 at 5:19PM
    onejontwo wrote: »
    You won't find it on their website, you have to barter down the price to whatever you can.
    I managed to get L BB
    L phone (evenings + weekends)
    phone line
    Free installation
    All for £19.40 per month for 12 month contract

    Hi, my contract finished and I rang up to see what I could get. I was offered the same package as yours but I didnt haggle!

    However I cant seem to make sense of their price breakdown on the letter they sent me. Can anyone explain, before I ring them up and look stupid? :o

    Telephone line rental : £11.00
    Talk evening and weekend : £3.45
    Wireless BB size L : £25.00
    E Bill Discount : -£1.00
    BB 6 month discount with phone : -£8.00
    Dual Tel and BB loyalty discount : -£15.05

    That comes out to £15.40

    Averaged out to take into account the 6 month discount of £8, it becomes £19.40/month . Right?

    And would I get the £15.05 loyalty discount applied every month or is that a one off?

    Thanks.
  • I phoned Virgin Media to cut back on services, half hoping they would offer me a decent deal to keep them, but they respected my wishes without a fight.
    I think they're on to us!
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    you should have tried ringing back and talking to another employee.....sometimes you just get an awkward one when you ring up! ;)
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    qxt123 wrote: »
    Hi, my contract finished and I rang up to see what I could get. I was offered the same package as yours but I didnt haggle!

    However I cant seem to make sense of their price breakdown on the letter they sent me. Can anyone explain, before I ring them up and look stupid? :o

    Telephone line rental : £11.00
    Talk evening and weekend : £3.45
    Wireless BB size L : £25.00
    E Bill Discount : -£1.00
    BB 6 month discount with phone : -£8.00
    Dual Tel and BB loyalty discount : -£15.05

    That comes out to £15.40

    Averaged out to take into account the 6 month discount of £8, it becomes £19.40/month . Right?

    And would I get the £15.05 loyalty discount applied every month or is that a one off?

    Thanks.

    I think the Tell+BB loyalty is permanent.

    Phone up and ask if you get talk anytime XL(£7.95 so £4.50 more) what the loyalty discount will be. I get that and my loyalty is £19.46 so it is effectivly free.
  • been with them for a few years and go through the periodic retention adjustment once I feel that I'm not getting value or I can't afford it...

    currently on

    telephone line £11
    evening and weekends £3.45
    Caller Display £2
    TV XL £23
    2 Additional V Boxes £30
    V+ Box £10
    BB L £25
    Discounts £-42.70

    Total £61.75

    I'll let you know how I get on but any tips would be welcome. I hope to get another £10 or so off.
  • qxt123
    qxt123 Posts: 56 Forumite
    I think the Tell+BB loyalty is permanent.

    Phone up and ask if you get talk anytime XL(£7.95 so £4.50 more) what the loyalty discount will be. I get that and my loyalty is £19.46 so it is effectivly free.


    I tried that but they wouldn't increase the discount. oh well, thanks anyway for the tip. :)
  • I'm currently on:
    XL BB
    M Phone
    £32/month

    Contract ended months ago, I called up this morning thinking I may get a deal on the XXL BB service. Yeah right!!!

    They offered me
    XXL BB
    M Phone
    £39/month.

    Hold on a second I says, my neighbour pays less than that for the same service & he only joined last week. (He pays an overall £36/month). Apparently that deal is only for new customers:mad::mad::rolleyes:. I guess 10+ plus years of loyalty = nothing with Virgin.

    Do you guys think trying again will get me better results or is this the current VM stance with existing customers?
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.