🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• mmdom83
    mmdom83 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    It's really quite frustrating seeing all these fantastic deals people have negotiated, whereas I'm having no luck at all.

I cancelled a month ago and I've had no retention calls (that I'm aware of). Had to call up to extend my cancellation date as don't want to be cut off in a few days time. Going to have to go through with it if I don't get something better, but really would prefer to stay.

Best I can get through CS is £33pm for 60mb, phone evening and weekends & line rental (which I could pay upfront to reduce costs). No TV included. They are adamant there is nothing better they can offer.

Just seems rubbish compared to other deals posted here.

Is there anything else I can do?
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mmdom83 wrote: »
    It's really quite frustrating seeing all these fantastic deals people have negotiated, whereas I'm having no luck at all.

I cancelled a month ago and I've had no retention calls (that I'm aware of). Had to call up to extend my cancellation date as don't want to be cut off in a few days time. Going to have to go through with it if I don't get something better, but really would prefer to stay.

Best I can get through CS is £33pm for 60mb, phone evening and weekends & line rental (which I could pay upfront to reduce costs). No TV included. They are adamant there is nothing better they can offer.

Just seems rubbish compared to other deals posted here.

Is there anything else I can do?

The best deals seem to be available to people who actually go through with the cancellation and get cut off, even if it is only for a few hours.

Now you have called them to extend your cancellation date you may have inadvertently shot yourself in the foot. It may seem to Virgin that you aren't really serious about cancelling so they have no need to offer you a better deal.
  • mmdom83
    Options
    Well I'm still prepared to go through with it, I just wasn't expecting to have to(!), so I only extended it a week to sort myself out (eg look at Sky, BT deals and go with one of them without being offline while it switches).
    I was wondering whether they know if you haven't signed up to anything else, as presumably your new provider makes some kind of contact with them re switching services?
    It's quite possible that I have missed retention calls as they only know my landline and both of us work all week.
    Shame.
  • mmdom83
    Options
    Actually, how difficult is it once you are cut off for them to reconnect you?

The girl I spoke to advised not to let it happen as it becomes a lot more difficult to reconnect services, but is that more CS scare tactics bull?
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    den169 wrote: »
    It was £120 last year.Don't know how they can charge line rental when everything comes down the same cable,

Nope. The phone network is carried not on co-ax but a twin copper wire which is totally separate from the main feed (which provides TV and BB). Line Rental inter these terms seems reasonable.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    mmdom83 wrote: »
    I was wondering whether they know if you haven't signed up to anything else, as presumably your new provider makes some kind of contact with them re switching services?

It's unlikely. In fact, on Sky's broadband page it says:

If you switch from Virgin, you’ll need to contact your provider to cancel your broadband with them. To ensure you don’t lose service during the switch you should arrange the cancellation of your Virgin service after your Sky Broadband and Talk is activated.

I would imagine this is the same for all the other providers as Virgin use their own network and equipment.
  • Lady_K
    Lady_K Posts: 4,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    My daughter let sky do the take over from virgin, they said they would arrange to take over the phone line from them directly, she changed all 3 services.
    Although it took quite a few weeks virgin didn't contact her at all, she had been a customer for 15 yrs but it didn't seem to bother them
    Thanx

Lady_K
  • dulku
    dulku Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    V1NNY wrote: »
    I got something very similar to your package but with 2 additonal V+boxes and 100mb broadband for £44.22 per month (after discounts/credit applied). All on a 12-Month contract, guaranteed no price increases during this period.

TV XL
    1TB Tivo
    2 x V+boxes
    Phone M inc Line Rental
    100MB Broadband (with free Superhub 2)

You got all this for £44.22 a month. Bloody hell i am paying £87 a month for the same as you except i have the Asian Mela which is £12 extra my broadband is half your speed.
    Did you pay for your phone line in advance?
  • somnus
    somnus Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Recently renegotiated my broadband-only contract after seeing the Sky offer for £12.50/month. Called to cancel and waited for the call back. Was offered 30mb bb (was hanging around on 20mb) and new hub for £14/month. Maybe could've pushed for more but just took it. 12 month minimum term and discount applied for 18 months.
  • naepace
    naepace Posts: 305 Forumite
    Options
    Just given my 30 days notice. They accepted the cancellation without question, is that normal ? I expected some discussion at least 😀

Currently paying £67 incl £11 loyalty discount which ends this month hence the cancellation so effectively £76 for:-

TV XL + TiVo
    HD+ box
    BB 30Mb
    Phone XL

On another note anybody ever heard of them refusing a cancellation of the cancellation within the 30 days ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport