Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• teena
    teena Posts: 46 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tried to haggle but was told my deal could not be improved and I had been on the phone for 30 mins

I have

BB L (50 MB)
    TV M ( the basic)
    Phone XL

For £24.25. I paid £120 sep for the year rental. So for a year it was £34.25 monthly. I have £8 loyalty discount.

Had a letter saying that the new rental for a year is £144 now and I only have until the end of the month.

1. So can it not be improved?
    2. My loyalty only runs for 1 more year. When my contract ends soon will that mean I have a contract now for18 months and so will I lose 6 months of loyalty?

Any tips. I hate this time of the year!
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    teena wrote: »
    Tried to haggle but was told my deal could not be improved and I had been on the phone for 30 mins

I have

BB L (50 MB)
    TV M ( the basic)
    Phone XL

For £24.25. I paid £120 sep for the year rental. So for a year it was £34.25 monthly. I have £8 loyalty discount.

Had a letter saying that the new rental for a year is £144 now and I only have until the end of the month.

1. So can it not be improved?
    2. My loyalty only runs for 1 more year. When my contract ends soon will that mean I have a contract now for18 months and so will I lose 6 months of loyalty?

Any tips. I hate this time of the year!
    Did you actually tell them to cancel your contract,I got 50mb xl tv and weekend calls for £35 a few weeks back, But that was after a lot of haggling with them,They started at £43 but i just told them £35 or leave it cancelled.He came back at £38 £37 and £36, He even said are you going to miss it for a pound,And i said yes are you gonna lose me for a pound.I also made sure it was a 12 month contract.I record everything with Virgin because you get a different tale every time you ring.I didn't pay the line rental because the saving this year is not that much.
  • roked
    roked Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got a deal a couple of weeks ago which I accepted without too much haggling as I was going on holiday the next day. It may help you teena in your thoughts (or anyone else wanting this type of deal). The key for me was keeping the unlimited calls and if I had more time then I may have got a couple more £ off it :

BB L (50 MB)
    TV M+
    XL Phone

£20 per month and I paid up front for line rental so it works out at £32 per month.
  • battyboimatt
    Options
    Well i'm more than happy with my deal Virgin have just give me, I was paying £72 for all sky channels and about £50 a month for BB and Line rental with virgin, I was going to drop sky movies and sport anyway and virign offered me

TV XL
    1 TB Tivo Box
    Extra HD Box bedroom
    Same speed broadband im on 60MB
    Line Rental and Talk Weekends

Free Install, Free 1TB Tivo Box (Saving £100)

£57 a month
  • zeeww_2
    zeeww_2 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    Rang up to haggle today. £17 for 12 months BB 50mb, not bad considering I don't have anything else with them!
  • TheBigMan
    Options
    Does everyone who calls to cancel get some kind of callback or offer from Virgin's retention department?

I called yesterday to cancel so Im curious what the next step is.

I currently have

L Broadband up to 30mb
    M+ TV a standard VHD box
    M phone Weekend calls
    SkySports

cost me £74 per month I was offered it for £68 and a Tivo box, same deal with Sky is £49 for new customers and £66 thereafter.

Should I expect to have a call from retentions or have it cut off at the end of the month?
  • devon_guy
    devon_guy Posts: 294 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I called to cancel a couple of weeks ago and the offer I was given was derisory so I asked to go ahead with the cancellation. I heard nothing so phoned up to check when my 30 days notice was up. It hadn't been put through so the lady processed it with no questions.

Fast forward 24 hrs and I get a call today to confirm my cancellation date in August and asked why I was leaving. I said it was because of price and a good offer from Sky. I was offered 50mb broadband, M+tv and XL phone for £36.99 which I thought was a good offer.
  • Misc1971
    Misc1971 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    den169 wrote: »
    Did you actually tell them to cancel your contract,I got 50mb xl tv and weekend calls for £35 a few weeks back, But that was after a lot of haggling with them,They started at £43 but i just told them £35 or leave it cancelled.He came back at £38 £37 and £36, He even said are you going to miss it for a pound,And i said yes are you gonna lose me for a pound.I also made sure it was a 12 month contract.I record everything with Virgin because you get a different tale every time you ring.I didn't pay the line rental because the saving this year is not that much.

Does you £35 pm deal include line rental?
  • mkaml
    mkaml Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zeeww wrote: »
    Rang up to haggle today. £17 for 12 months BB 50mb, not bad considering I don't have anything else with them!

Don't you have to have telephone line rental?
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    Options
    Misc1971 wrote: »
    Does you £35 pm deal include line rental?
    Yes thats including line rental.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport