Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• Kev27
    Kev27 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    6 Months into my 12 month Contract was currently paying £19 a month for 30meg Broadband only, Received letter yesterday about latest £1.50 price hike so i rang Virgin to cancel in the hope of a better deal as the latest price hike entiltled me to terminate contract by default etc, told them i was moving to TalkTalk (Thanks to advice from Voucherman) as their Price hikes take the P***.

They offered me

30 Meg Broadband for £15 a month on a 12 month Contract with the first month free and it will remain at £15 for 6 months after the contract is up.

Works out at around £13.75 a month for 30 meg Broadband after getting the first month free.

Plus my area automatically upgrades to 50 Meg from 30Meg at the beginning of October.

That will do me.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I called Virgin last week, trying to reduce monthly bill, I was told in no uncertain terms that there is no such thing as a loyalty discount. I've left it at that for now, while I figure out what to do next!

Phone again :)
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    faddy wrote: »
    I mentioned TV M as my understanding was that it was the free service you'd get if you stopped subscribing to TV but kept the box. Is that no longer the case? I'm a bit surprised to see it's now in one of the bundles for new customers. He could just move to Freeview, though he'd have to get an aerial installed. Essentially, all he needs is broadband.

You don't get to keep the box, if you keep the box you have to pay for it. You never own the equipment unlike with Sky.

If you want to go to freeview you would need a freeview box, if you have a box that records currently and would want to have that moving forward you would need a freeview recorder.

You would also need to have the aerial installed as you mention. A cost to factor in.
    I see VoucherMan above has got BB for £15. That's more what I hoped my son could get, in line with ADSL broadband offers.

If that's what you want then tell them, in the same way I outlined, remember, do your research. They have all the numbers their end, so be factual.

Don't compare an ADSL product to a cable product, one mention of that and they will spend ages telling you (rightly) how inferior the ADSL product is to cable.

Why not a minimum term? Isn't that the trade off for a decent retention offer?

No, if you're dealing with the people you ring then you will have to take a minimum term. In all my dealings with the retentions team that have called me I have always asked for no minimum term. It has never affected what they offered me and maintains the flexibility. Why have something that just ties you in when a simple request avoids it happening :)

Is phoning retentions better than using Live Chat? Are retentions willing to confirm offers by email? Are they happy to take a mobile number for the callback or will they want to use the landline on the account if there is one?

Phone, don't live chat. They will call the numbers you give them, I have always said disconnect me, if you want to call me back to discuss it at another time then call my mobile, eventually they do.

Live chat isn't the right team. If you want the deal you are looking for you are going to have to put some legwork in, it will not be served on a plate.
  • c128
    c128 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    Hi,

I've been with NTL/Virgin Media for over 8 years now, and am currently out of contract (have been for a long time).

I only have broadband, up to 60Mb, for which I'm paying £35.75 a month (no discounts, other than the paperless billing).

I'm only really interested in Broadband going forward, 60Mb (or more, preferably), and I'm not opposed to signing a new contract as I don't want to leave.

What's my best course of action to get a price reduction on this? Is it really to threaten to cancel and go through to retentions, especially as I'm out of contract/don't mind signing a new contract?

What sort of price should I realistically be expecting, in my situation, for 60Mb or more broadband?

Thanks.
  • DemiDee
    DemiDee Posts: 524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have:

Talk International and Talk Unlimited
    Loyalty pack, phone, BB, TV: M
    Broadband up to 20mb
    Fully itemized billing
    Line rental

Total cost is £42.93 per month.

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS SAME PACKAGE? AM I PAYING TOO MUCH FOR WHAT IS A RELATIVELY BASIC PACKAGE?
  • happy_2008
    happy_2008 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    DemiDee wrote: »
    I have:

Broadband up to 20mb
    Fully itemized billing
    Line rental

ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS SAME PACKAGE? AM I PAYING TOO MUCH FOR WHAT IS A RELATIVELY BASIC PACKAGE?

I have the following:

XL TV
    M Phone
    150MB

Im currently paying £43.99
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    You don't get to keep the box, if you keep the box you have to pay for it. You never own the equipment unlike with Sky.

It's my son's account I'm concerned about now but I have myself been a VM subscriber in the past. At the end of my time with them I was getting TV M for free while paying for BB and phone, so I'm interested to know whether that's still possible. I suspect that at the time of downgrading to free TV we were still getting BB via the TV box rather than through a separate modem, I don't know if that was a factor.
  • faddy
    Options
    DemiDee wrote: »
    I have:

Broadband up to 20mb
    Fully itemized billing
    Line rental

Do you pay for TV M or is it free?
  • faddy
    Options
    If you cancel a VM contract, can you rejoin as a new customer, and get Quidco/TCB cashback, as soon as your contract's ended?
  • c128
    c128 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    c128 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been with NTL/Virgin Media for over 8 years now, and am currently out of contract (have been for a long time).

I only have broadband, up to 60Mb, for which I'm paying £35.75 a month (no discounts, other than the paperless billing).

I'm only really interested in Broadband going forward, 60Mb (or more, preferably), and I'm not opposed to signing a new contract as I don't want to leave.

What's my best course of action to get a price reduction on this? Is it really to threaten to cancel and go through to retentions, especially as I'm out of contract/don't mind signing a new contract?

What sort of price should I realistically be expecting, in my situation, for 60Mb or more broadband?

Thanks.

Just as an update - I rang VM this morning and, without prompting, they offered me 100Mb broadband for £24.50 a month i.e. the current advertised rate with a loyalty discount. Really I was only after the broadband only price now on the web-site, so happy with that. They did offer me both slower and faster, but I was kind of angling for 100Mb :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure