Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• Misc1971
    Misc1971 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    c128 wrote: »
    Just as an update - I rang VM this morning and, without prompting, they offered me 100Mb broadband for £24.50 a month i.e. the current advertised rate with a loyalty discount. Really I was only after the broadband only price now on the web-site, so happy with that. They did offer me both slower and faster, but I was kind of angling for 100Mb :)

Unless you have four five pieces of 5g capable kit connected to the internet and constantly downloading data, you will not see much of a difference between 60mb and 100mb.
    Currently retention are offering 50mb, which is more than sufficient for most households, for £15 per month with a couple of months credit on you account.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    faddy wrote: »
    If you cancel a VM contract, can you rejoin as a new customer, and get Quidco/TCB cashback, as soon as your contract's ended?

With Sky you have to have left for 12 months to be considered a new customer. I imagine Virgin would be similar or they would get everyone doing what you suggest every year. Cancelling their contract and getting new customer deals and cashback.
  • mark_steps
    mark_steps Posts: 865 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    On the 27th of August i am able to put my notice in to leave Virgin, but to be honest, im awful at getting a great deal...I tend to stick with Virgin.

Im on a great deal, according to Virgin i will get no where near it with anyone else! And for the best part they are right, sky fibre and all other fibre is not available in the EH7 part of Edinburgh (that i know of).

Currently i get Line rental, Talk Unlimited and 100Meg Broadband for £29.49 a month! I am also unable to pay upfront the line rental for the year.

Speed is important to me, so i would consider dropping to say 60Meg, but no less.

The only reason i took Talk Unlimited was it reduced my price with Virgin, but in reality, Talk evenings and weekends would do i guess.

So, can anyone help or make suggestions based on what info i have given? Or those on the same package, what are you paying?

Thanks in advance.
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    With Sky you have to have left for 12 months to be considered a new customer. I imagine Virgin would be similar or they would get everyone doing what you suggest every year. Cancelling their contract and getting new customer deals and cashback.

Thanks. Any Virgin customers who know for sure?
  • faddy
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    They will call the numbers you give them, I have always said disconnect me, if you want to call me back to discuss it at another time then call my mobile, eventually they do.

Back in November, visi, you wrote
    They tend to only ever call home phones, not mobiles, which doesn't help.

Is that still the case? Will they only call the landline on the account or will they take another landline number? (I'm likely to be impersonating my son for the purpose of this negotiation so would want to give them my BT landline number)
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Back in November, visi, you wrote

Is that still the case? Will they only call the landline on the account or will they take another landline number? (I'm likely to be impersonating my son for the purpose of this negotiation so would want to give them my BT landline number)

That is why I said they 'eventually do' call a mobile. They will not call another landline number if its to speak to someone other than the account holder to whom they want to speak.

Impersonating for your son is NOT a good idea.Your son should accept the call, clear security and then advise the agent you will be passed the phone and he gives you authority to negotiate.

Now back to your cashback question, they allow two transactions in 2 days. If you re-sign it would have to be in a different name, and one which is on the electoral role (if they have a credit check on your request).

Back to your TV question - if you ask for M TV they will factor this in, what you originally said was you would cancel the TV and get freeview - you can't do that as you have to give the equipment back. They may offer you M free as part of the bundle.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My son is on a serious moneysaving quest and I've promised to help him getting his Virgin bill down.

My approach is to switch to Sky or BT and get cashback/Sanisburys Gift Card when there's a good promotion.

If Virgin calls your son back, it's good practice for him.
    My father made me go to the Post Office counter when I was seven. All he has to remember is check the quote number they give includes the line rental, and how long is the contract for.

A new SuperHub might be nice. Not important, since it's not 11ac capable yet.
  • faddy
    Options
    Impersonating for your son is NOT a good idea.Your son should accept the call, clear security and then advise the agent you will be passed the phone and he gives you authority to negotiate.

But as we don't live at the same address I'm unlikely to be with him if and when he gets a callback. He's not very confident on the phone and would prefer me to handle the whole thing, start to finish.
    Now back to your cashback question, they allow two transactions in 2 days. If you re-sign it would have to be in a different name, and one which is on the electoral role (if they have a credit check on your request).

Sorry, I don't follow why there would be more than one transaction? My son lives alone, so re-signing under a different name would be a non-starter. Would he if he wanted be able to re-sign but not as a new customer, if that makes sense?

Thanks for your help with this BTW, it's appreciated.
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    But as we don't live at the same address I'm unlikely to be with him if and when he gets a callback. He's not very confident on the phone and would prefer me to handle the whole thing, start to finish.

Sorry, I don't follow why there would be more than one transaction? My son lives alone, so re-signing under a different name would be a non-starter. Would he if he wanted be able to re-sign but not as a new customer, if that makes sense?

Thanks for your help with this BTW, it's appreciated.

If you're not there for the call you're not there for the call. If he doesn't clear security with Virgin first then you're fronting for him (as you're not going to be able to tell them you're not your son).

Be very careful.

As for two in a period, that's the cashback rules to stop people cancelling and resigning up with cashback (especially as you can cancel early when they have a price rise).

I would avoid resigning - the better deals are to negotiate wit outbound calling retentions.
  • GavB79
    GavB79 Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was recently paying £29.25 for 100mb broadband only, loyalty discount just ended and today got the letter about the £1.50 increase which would bring my new payment to £35.75.
    Through web chat I was offered 18 months (12 month contract) of 100mb at £24.50/month (inc. of new price hike). A year ago I was paying £26.25 for 60mb.
    I'm happy with the deal but frustrated they 'over-charge' people so much to begin with! Yes, I know the full-payers subsidise these deals for those who haggle but even so...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure