Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    visidigi wrote: »
    If you're not there for the call you're not there for the call. If he doesn't clear security with Virgin first then you're fronting for him (as you're not going to be able to tell them you're not your son).

Be very careful.

I understand "fronting" in the context of car insurance (and that it's fraudulent as risk is being misrepresented) but I don't see what the issue is here if I'm acting with his knowledge and consent. I wouldn't be misrepresenting his circumstances, and he would honour any agreement I made. (Though in fairness I remember once ringing his mobile company as him and partway through the call revealing that I was in fact his father, as I was about to make a payment from my credit card. The CS rep was unimpressed, saying that talking to the wrong person was for her a sacking offence)
    As for two in a period, that's the cashback rules to stop people cancelling and resigning up with cashback (especially as you can cancel early when they have a price rise).

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but still confused by your saying "they allow two transactions in 2 days". Why would anyone be making two transactions in 2 days?
  • visidigi
    visidigi Posts: 6,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    faddy wrote: »
    I understand "fronting" in the context of car insurance (and that it's fraudulent as risk is being misrepresented) but I don't see what the issue is here if I'm acting with his knowledge and consent. I wouldn't be misrepresenting his circumstances, and he would honour any agreement I made. (Though in fairness I remember once ringing his mobile company as him and partway through the call revealing that I was in fact his father, as I was about to make a payment from my credit card. The CS rep was unimpressed, saying that talking to the wrong person was for her a sacking offence)

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick, but still confused by your saying "they allow two transactions in 2 days". Why would anyone be making two transactions in 2 days?

My bad it meant to say 200 days,

It's fronting because you are going to call them and tell them you are your son when you aren't

They are not allowed to discuss the account holders account without their consent. It's not a good idea. Not least if it's a new direct debit agreement you are signing up using someone else account.

What seems simple to you is infact very complex and not a good situation for anyone, especially if you don't get what is promise and you have to ask them to check recordings etc etc.
  • Gary1963
    Gary1963 Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I threatened to leave within the 28 day period from connection. They reduced my 50mb from £26.50 to £19.50. This being the same amount my friend got when he threatened to leave over the recent price increase.
    Also got free installation and £80 from Quidco.

I only take broadband no phone or tv.

I find it amazing that you have to haggle to get the best prices but I am becoming less British in my attitude now about things like this!
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    My bad it meant to say 200 days,

Ah yes, just found that in the TCB conditions. That reads to me as a restriction on the number of VM claims per TCB account (which could be for different people), not per VM account.

What seems simple to you is infact very complex and not a good situation for anyone, especially if you don't get what is promise and you have to ask them to check recordings etc etc.

Not something I'd considered.
  • badgerswithafros
    Options
    Just had a retentions deal from last year run out. Rang and cancelled as there's a Sky web link that gives VM customers 50% off TV, inc movies and sports, and the normal Sky broadband offers (eg. £10 sky fibre unlimited for 12 months if you take sports). VM said they couldn't get anywhere close when I rang to cancel.

Got the 'call back' 2 days after cancelling and got offered.

TV XL
    Sports
    BB 152Mb
    Phone M inc line rental
    £58.99 p/m for 12 months.

I was happy enough with this so took it.

Don't think I can post links so feel free to PM me if you want the Sky link for VM customers, as it isn't easily found.
  • Cropstar
    Cropstar Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just called to cancel. Currently paying £55/month for TV XL with Tivo, M Phone and 50Mb broadband.

Offers seemed quite poor, they offered to upgrade me to 152mb broadband and reduce the bill down by £2/month and throw in a month free, but that was it.

Will hold out and await a retentions call as if others can get similar with Sky Sports for £59/month I'm clearly paying way over the odds.
  • barryboris
    barryboris Posts: 255 Forumite
    Options
    I am now paying £120 a month for 120mb broadband, TV XL (with movies and sports), L Phone

Anyone think this is a bit much?

Do you think they would reduce the bill if I email them politely?

Not much good at negotiating to be honest - the thought terrifies me!

Any advice much appreciated and sorry to bother you all
  • Cropstar
    Cropstar Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just a quick question. We don't use the phone line installed as part of the package. Will they only call the number in the account or would they call my mobile (which is the number I've always called them on?). I can't find a why of adding my number in the my account section on the website, but obviously I'll never get a retention call if they just call the landline.
  • badgerswithafros
    Options
    Cropstar wrote: »
    Just a quick question. We don't use the phone line installed as part of the package. Will they only call the number in the account or would they call my mobile (which is the number I've always called them on?). I can't find a why of adding my number in the my account section on the website, but obviously I'll never get a retention call if they just call the landline.

When I cancelled they ran through all my contact details at the end of the call, so add your mobile if they don't have it. They rang back on my mobile.
  • sleepless_saver
    Options
    barryboris wrote: »
    I am now paying £120 a month for 120mb broadband, TV XL (with movies and sports), L Phone

Anyone think this is a bit much?

Yes, it is a bit much. Phone them and ask for a better deal - see link for bundle with 152mb broadband, TV XL Sky movies and Sports, and M phone for £67 rising to £78 after 12 months. If you're worried about negotiating, just say you want that bundle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure