🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• jenand8285
    jenand8285 Posts: 282 Forumite
    Options
    Only after your minimum term has concluded. You cannot cancel on the basis of a price rise earlier this year, you had to cancel at the time the price rise was announced.
    If you cancel now, Virgin will impose an Early Termination of Contract (ETC) fee on you.

Thank you for the prompt reply.
  • *KKH_KISH*
    *KKH_KISH* Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    I think I just negotiated a pretty good deal. I'm currently on XL TV, 60Mb Broadband and basic phone (Talk weekends) for £68.50ish. I called to cancel on the 1st July, and declined a couple of offers as I was going to go with Plusnet and freesat to save money due to having had a recent reduction in income.
    On the 4th, I received a call offering me basic phone and 50Mb broadband for £5 if I pay the line rental saver price of £144 upfront (altogether, the equivalent of £17 pm), or I could have the basic TV (M) and keep both my Tivo and V+ boxes for an additional £12 (the equivalent of £24 pm). I said I'd think on it and discuss it with my partner.
    They rang me again yesterday and I asked them what they could do for M+ TV. They said £20. I haggled this down to £15, and he said I could have a new Tivo box to replace my V+.

So I have agreed to 50Mb broadband, M+ TV and basic phone with a new Tivo box to replace my V+ box and keeping my current Tivo box, plus a new Superhub2 for £15pm on top of line rental which when paid upfront works out to be the equivalent of £27 pm. Starts Monday.

I'm fairly happy with that, but can't help wondering if I should've waited or pushed for better.

Thoughts?
    'Still dealing with my debt, but I'll get there. Keep smiling.' :D
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July 2014 at 9:01PM
    Options
    *KKH_KISH* wrote: »
    I think I just negotiated a pretty good deal. I'm currently on XL TV, 60Mb Broadband and basic phone (Talk weekends) for £68.50ish. I called to cancel on the 1st July, and declined a couple of offers as I was going to go with Plusnet and freesat to save money due to having had a recent reduction in income.
    On the 4th, I received a call offering me basic phone and 50Mb broadband for £5 if I pay the line rental saver price of £144 upfront (altogether, the equivalent of £17 pm), or I could have the basic TV (M) and keep both my Tivo and V+ boxes for an additional £12 (the equivalent of £24 pm). I said I'd think on it and discuss it with my partner.
    They rang me again yesterday and I asked them what they could do for M+ TV. They said £20. I haggled this down to £15, and he said I could have a new Tivo box to replace my V+.

So I have agreed to 50Mb broadband, M+ TV and basic phone with a new Tivo box to replace my V+ box and keeping my current Tivo box, plus a new Superhub2 for £15pm on top of line rental which when paid upfront works out to be the equivalent of £27 pm. Starts Monday.

I'm fairly happy with that, but can't help wondering if I should've waited or pushed for better.

Thoughts?
    I got 50mb bb xl tv and weekend calls for £35 a couple of weeks back.Thats without paying line rental upfront that would make it a bit cheaper still.I already have a tivo box and superhub which i got for free a year ago.
    Also when i took this they had a special offer on mobiles going sim only.unlimited calls unlimited texts and 250mb for only £5 a month i took that which made up for losing free landline calls 24/7.
    I always record my virgin calls don't trust any of them.
  • *KKH_KISH*
    *KKH_KISH* Posts: 180 Forumite
    edited 11 July 2014 at 9:42AM
    Options
    den169 wrote: »
    I got 50mb bb xl tv and weekend calls for £35 a couple of weeks back.Thats without paying line rental upfront that would make it a bit cheaper still.I already have a tivo box and superhub which i got for free a year ago.
    Also when i took this they had a special offer on mobiles going sim only.unlimited calls unlimited texts and 250mb for only £5 a month i took that which made up for losing free landline calls 24/7.
    I always record my virgin calls don't trust any of them.

Ooh, that's good value. £4 more than mine then really, for 2 TV packages higher. Tempted to ring back and try to haggle some more but I'm rubbish at it. And it'll only result in me going over my budget. I was determined to stick to £25 absolute max but that snuck up to a nice round £15 on top of line rental already... :P And the only channels we'll miss really are Fox, Nickelodeon and MTV Rocks. I needed the new superhub as ours is dodgy, but he said they've given out free to everyone anyway.

How do you record your calls? I'd love to, as I've had several problems before with Virgin Media promising things over the phone then denying it afterwards, resulting in me chasing it up for months. Even this time the confirmation email doesn't include the discount.
    'Still dealing with my debt, but I'll get there. Keep smiling.' :D
  • happy_2008
    happy_2008 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Found out yesterday that I was over paying by £12 a month on my current package compared to that of new customers. My package was:

XL TV
    152 MB
    M Phone

Which is equivalent to there there big kahuna package. I explained to the staff that I was currently paying £72 whilst new customers get the same for £45 (3 months) then £60.99. She then explained that she could do me the same deal for £63.99 which left me speechless before finally offering me the big kahuna deal for £55.99.

I will probably still phone up cancellations though unless a cheaper deal can be arranged, it’s the second time I have called them and they tried to give me a “deal of the day” that was effectively a rip off.
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    *KKH_KISH* wrote: »
    Ooh, that's good value. £4 more than mine then really, for 2 TV packages higher. Tempted to ring back and try to haggle some more but I'm rubbish at it. And it'll only result in me going over my budget. I was determined to stick to £25 absolute max but that snuck up to a nice round £15 on top of line rental already... :P And the only channels we'll miss really are Fox, Nickelodeon and MTV Rocks. I needed the new superhub as ours is dodgy, but he said they've given out free to everyone anyway.

How do you record your calls? I'd love to, as I've had several problems before with Virgin Media promising things over the phone then denying it afterwards, resulting in me chasing it up for months. Even this time the confirmation email doesn't include the discount.
    I ring on a landline on loudspeaker and hold my android phone up to record with that.I tell them i'm recording it.
  • MArnold
    Options
    I had all this for around £36 a month
    Multi Talk 150
    TV Size M
    Tivo Monthly Fee
    Broadband L was about 32MB speed
    Talk Unlimited
    £3 Loyalty

I had no luck Haggleing 3 trys no luck then
    I told Virgin Media that Sky was offering £100 voucher and 12 month Mcafee Virus check Basic TV Basic Broadband and Unlimited calls for £33 a month so i am thinking joining them

Virgin Rang Back Up a week later saying would i stay with virgin as they have a good deal to offer me as i am a 7 year loyalty customer and they dont want to loose me

NEW DEAL
    Multi Talk 150
    TV Size XL (M upgraded to XL)
    Tivo Monthly Fee
    Broadband getting upgraded to 50mb now instead of waiting (32MB upgraded to 50MB)
    Talk Unlimited

for £24 a month so i said i will think about it going to give it a couple days then try haggle them down to £20 and a free v box aswell see if they will keep me then
  • ZhugeEX
    ZhugeEX Posts: 1,163 Forumite
    edited 15 July 2014 at 10:15PM
    Options
    I just rang up to negotiate a deal on behalf of a family member.

Got the 50MB broadband package with unl downloads and a new router.
    Just the basic talk package (weekend calls/texts)

£15.99 line rental
    £4 a month for 12 months for broadband (then £15.50pm)
    £125 bill credit total
    18 Month contract

Not bad IMO. If we decide to pay line rental upfront we can save even more.
  • DJWillis
    DJWillis Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Just my 2 pence,

Been with Virgin for various services for around 20 years (mostly XL packages) and having just rung up to try the annual renegotiation of the deal I came a little unstuck, the best they could offer me was actually more than there own published bundle prices (£68.24 for 152 BB and XL TV so £818 over 12 months). My price would have been £73.24 out of deal, so a miserable £5 a month saving.

Seemingly they could not offer me bundles, no idea why. Tried a couple of call backs and got similar variants on the same deal. It seems my current situation (no phone line as I use VoIP so I could port my number when I moved) seems to mess them up, despite the fact I am very happy to have a phone line installed and not connect it up to a phone.

Net result is that I have served them cancellation notice and organised a new Virgin install to be done on the day of the disconnection for the same services (with prepaid line rental) coming in at £564 averaged over the year.

Feels like a total waste of time and paperwork but they do not seem to be able to get even close to there new user deals (in terms of annual cost) for retentions at the moment :(. Of course I am tempting fate as I am sure Virgin will stuff something up but there is always BT Fibre to fall back on.
    "John Willis is a toaster that talks! - It knows your name.".
  • akhlaq768
    akhlaq768 Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Has anyone got the number for the cancellation centre

A number I can call from my mobile, without being charged a fortune

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing