Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Finally spoke to retentions after missing their calls on a daily basis.

Got XL TV
    30 meg BB
    Phone line
    £36 a month, that'll do me :D
  • JMA_2
    JMA_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I was on

£36
    V+
    M TV
    L BB
    M Phone

Cancelled on Friday after being offered rubbish deals - got a call today and got for

£31
    V+
    XL TV
    L BB
    M Phone

Phone is 18 month contract and goes up by £6 after 12 months but BB & TV are 12 months so can leave them and haggle after that! Fella even said to me to do that again :D

I had spent the weekend researching Sky/Talk Talk/BT but I live in an area that best BB I could get was 5meg not guarenteed. So I fel I got a great deal today, I wanted to stay with Virgin but pay less and the XL TV is great, all the HD channels, TV & Music on demand :)

Sky was looking £17 for BB (not unlimited as bad area), £11 for phone and then £19 for basic TV! (OK before you argue the quidco/ m& s vouchers neither guarenteed!)

My extra channels were on within an hour tonight - impressed! :money:
    Mummy to toddler Ben
  • db21111
    db21111 Posts: 204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a whinge too... first time around they weren't helpful at all and even at the start of today's conversation they weren't... but then I got ours from 44.54 for xl tv, 10mb bb, talk eve and weekend phone to:

M TV
    30mb BB
    Talk Weekend (the basic phone line)

£30.74

Apparently for £7 more and a £40 installation fee to upgrade the gear I could have 50mb BB

Also he said I should've been getting a high usage letter, which he said was more to recommend an upgrade than a warning. I don't download movies and music particularly but I was up to around 60gb in a month he said...
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have any of you who have been offered a deal, had a new contract through the post?

We got one today and it says 18 months on it (which wasn't agreed on the phone!!) and also the cost is £9.29 more than they said!

Have to wait till hubby gets home to sort it out as the account is in his name.

Nothing has changed by the way with regards to the package, just a lower price for the services what we already have.
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • Bubba
    Bubba Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    Received contract in post today and price was couple of pounds more than quoted. Also it said 18 months for tv phone and bb. I rang them and they said it's only 18 months for phone and 12 for the rest. Also the price on the contract doesn't include rolling contract discount and so price on bill will be for the correct amount.
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    shellsuit wrote: »
    We got one today and it says 18 months on it (which wasn't agreed on the phone!!) and also the cost is £9.29 more than they said!
    Bubba wrote: »
    Received contract in post today and price was couple of pounds more than quoted. Also it said 18 months for tv phone and bb. I rang them and they said it's only 18 months for phone and 12 for the rest.

Virgin are good at conveniently "forgetting" to tell you about the 18 months part. They are also good at forgetting to tell you that the price goes up after 12 months in some cases.
    Also the price on the contract doesn't include rolling contract discount and so price on bill will be for the correct amount.

My son was told that too. Watch your bills carefully!
  • shellsuit
    shellsuit Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They can whistle then, we don't want 18 months for any of it, least the phone cos we don't ever use it! It does actually say on the contract tho, phone 18 months, TV 18 months, BB 18 months.

Hubby on his way home now so he can ring them in a bit.

They did say the lower price would be applicable for 12 months, so that means for the last 6 months they wouuld want the full whack of us again!

Cheeky gits!
    Tank fly boss walk jam nitty gritty...
  • jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,404 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    shellsuit wrote: »
    They did say the lower price would be applicable for 12 months, so that means for the last 6 months they wouuld want the full whack of us again!

I told them I wasn't interested in their deal either as the price went up by £6pm after the 12 months. They didn't tell me this at first and only mentioned it when I queried it all.
  • blueyuk83
    blueyuk83 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2011 at 8:51PM
    Options
    blueyuk83 wrote: »
    I'm currently on the deal where I pay £32 a month for M+ TV, L broadband and M phone. I've been out of contract for a few months. I want to get a V+ box, extra channels as well as a 2nd box.

I rang up to see what I can and the first department put me through to customer services. They offered me the following deal:

M phone
    L broadband
    XL TV
    V+ box
    Regular box
    Total of £45.60 plus £30 one off fee for the V+ box

Is this a good deal? Looking on the Virgin website a deal like this for a new customer costs £61 a month. A similar deal on Sky costs £52 albeit with 20MB internet.

Looking on this thread it looks like people have been offered a better deal than this by going through the cancellation > retention route.

On the phone I accepted this deal. Would I be able to cancel it if I change my mind? The engineer to sort the second box is due to come on 9th April

I rang up again today saying that I wasn't happy with this deal as it was a lot of money. I managed to get the £30 installation fee taken off. This is better but I still want more. I have another 2 days to cancel this contract change. Can anyone give any tips on being a hard nut and getting them to actually cancel my original contract. The lady on the phone was so nice and I completely buckled :(
  • fishglobe
    Options
    Hi guys. Im about to move home. I have been with virgin broadband for over 4 years but the place where I move doesnt have a fibre optic available and I wasnt happy with the ADSL offer from them, so decided to change my ISP. I gave my notice on 14th of March and moving out on the 4th April. I told the lady from customer service that I want to disconnect their service from that date. On 16 I paid my bill. So as far as I know, I overpaid cause the charges on the bill are up to 17th of April and I requested disconnection from the 4th. The lady on the phone said that I will have to pay cancellation fee cause I failed to give 1 month notice, despite the fact I paid for 2 weeks of service which I won't be receiveing.
    So does anyone know, can I cancel also my direct debit or I have to wait until they charge me for cancelletion?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure