Virgin Media Retention thread

Options

Comments

• easy_g
    easy_g Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    we've just moved into a flat, Virgin had been installed by a previous tenant but is not connected right now. Will we be able to get anything off the 'Standard Installation' fee?
  • Night-owl_6
    Night-owl_6 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Options
    easy_g wrote: »
    we've just moved into a flat, Virgin had been installed by a previous tenant but is not connected right now. Will we be able to get anything off the 'Standard Installation' fee?

The current offer is half price install for a v+ box, was £150 but for new customers £75.

Virgin Media VIP package is best at £85 a month for EVERYTHING

They have agreat broadband tech support team and staff are always friendly and happy to help!
    DELETE ACCOUNT.

NO LONGER WANTED

DELETE ACCOUNT

Due to certain users I no longer wish to use this forum
  • easy_g
    easy_g Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cheers.. but we've ditched the telly!

just phone and internet really....
  • Saeed
    Saeed Posts: 733 Forumite
    Options
    easy_g wrote: »

Yes they should you able to mail you the modem so they should not charge you an install fee
  • jeremy_burnside
    Options
    Hi

My first post and raring to start saving money!

One of the services I called last weekend to start saving money on my monthly outgoings was Virgin. I was paying £18.00 for my internet connection and £15.00 for a evening / weekend use landline (both previously NTL). After seeing a cheap intro offer for new subscribers I rang up (steam coming out of my ears) and demanded the same deal - they gave me with no questions £4.50 B/B and £11 L/L - AND a further £1 off for online billing - for the usual 1 year contract period (not the silly 3 month intro and then increasing to double or even triple). This equates to £15.50 against the £33.00 I was paying.

It's worth checking all the time latest intro deals and offers by all service providers as I have also just saved 4p per unit on my gas supply and 2p per unit on electricity - they weren't going to write to me and offer it were they?:j
    I think its a case of who you get on the day. I have been with NTl / Virgin for some years yet when I phoned a few days ago to negotiate a better deal they said they couldn't help, and were resigned to losing me when I threatened moving my business elsewhere. I will try once more and hopefully speak to someone who feels it would be good to hold onto me!
  • littleemmie
    littleemmie Posts: 256 Forumite
    Options
    It is definately possible to get great deals from Virgin, but you need to be willing to put up a good fight!!

We started on the 15.50 internet & phone deal with free weekend calls. We then saw advertised "free tv with all packages" - and telephoned to ask if we could have it (basic package - equal of freeview). Having been assured of absolutely no hidden charges, our next bill is now £20 because we no longer qualify for a discount due to the tv.

Obviously not happy with this, and several calls and speaking to managers with sloping shoulders, we end up threatening to leave under a clause in their contract that says they can't change the price without our knowledge / written warning etc. We get through to disconnections department and voila, they start to listen!

The man asked "what do you want & what do you want to pay". We say just the tv as promised, and so he gives us the free tv and knocks our bill down to £12 a month. So thats phone, tv and broadband for £12/month.

A lot of hassle but definately worth it in the end!
    Latest Wins: Mr Motivator workout DVD, 5 Itunes downloads, Ipod Stereo Dock, Tea, Ipod Nano, True Crime DVD set, Family Pass to Legoland, Eye Pencil, Seeds, Anita Shreves novel, £150 ASOS vouchers, Miracle Gro starter kit :j
  • Night-owl_6
    Night-owl_6 Posts: 858 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone could perhaps recommend a package from Virgin Media that would be cheaper than my current one.
    I have been with Virgin Media for at least 7 years but the past year and a half my bill has been so high :eek: and everytime I phone them they just say Im getting a good price as it is.
    I am currently paying £65 a month for the following:

V+ Box
    Second standard set top box
    XL TV
    XL Broadband (20MB) Soon to be given 50MB at same price
    Talk Unlimited with caller display and talk mobile

This may well be very cheap but wondering if I could get it down anymore??!!
    As I say, al the years I have been with them they have never given me any deals, new customers appear to get great deals!
    I wanted to get it down to around £50 amonth but VM say that if I take off talk unlimited that the rest of the service charges will increase.

Any advice would be good

And by the way, I dont want to move from VM
    DELETE ACCOUNT.

NO LONGER WANTED

DELETE ACCOUNT

Due to certain users I no longer wish to use this forum
  • castlebloke
    Options
    Night-owl wrote: »
    Hi

I was wondering if anyone could perhaps recommend a package from Virgin Media that would be cheaper than my current one.
    I have been with Virgin Media for at least 7 years but the past year and a half my bill has been so high :eek: and everytime I phone them they just say Im getting a good price as it is.
    I am currently paying £65 a month for the following:

V+ Box
    Second standard set top box
    XL TV
    XL Broadband (20MB) Soon to be given 50MB at same price
    Talk Unlimited with caller display and talk mobile

This may well be very cheap but wondering if I could get it down anymore??!!
    As I say, al the years I have been with them they have never given me any deals, new customers appear to get great deals!
    I wanted to get it down to around £50 amonth but VM say that if I take off talk unlimited that the rest of the service charges will increase.

Any advice would be good

And by the way, I dont want to move from VM

I have been with NTL now Virgin for 6 years & have

XL TV (Virgin plus box - paid £75 promotion for the box)
    20 meg BB
    Free evening/weekend calls.

I contacted Virgin Retentions dept advising I was going to leave to go to Sky they offered me this package for £30 pm - Bargain
  • Absoluteproof
    Options
    I thought I was quite a nifty negotiator, but my recent dealing with Virgin Media has left me feeling somewhat of a failure! The woman on the end of the phone would not budge! Despite this, she was a very friendly and helpful person, who offered to (and did!) phone me back on my mobile when I needed to call my boyfriend to discuss the offer. Plus, when I realised a good four hours later that there was a deal on at the moment whereby recommendations to them not only earn the friend £50 but the current account holders, I phoned them back to successfully get this promotion!

So, all in all, it wasn't a bad few calls afterall!
  • SirMimic
    SirMimic Posts: 39 Forumite
    Options
    New deal:

TV - XL
    BB - L
    Phone - L
    + Free Wireless Router! (£7.50 P&P)
    £35 ppm
    :beer:

I just asked for the router and said that it says you get one on the website so do I get one? 5 minutes of waiting later, Yes! Excellent, its a NetGear one apparently but don't know the model number. My router is rubbish (around 6 years old) and I was thinking of getting a new one anyway!
    The deal isn't as good as last year and I don't think that would be possible.
    My deal last year was:

TV - XL
    BB - XL
    Phone - XL
    £39.50!!!

I tried to bargain my way through to get it to this level but it didn't work. Last October, they said that this deal was a 'mistake' and the price is supposed to be higher and they did some stealth charging but it worked out in the end (the ordeal is in a previous post of mine).

Anyway, thanks again MSE! You have saved me lots of money!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback