🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• LittleVermin
    Options
    Den2Mark wrote: »
    Hi HateLPG,
    Very useful to have all the data in one place, so thanks for your posting. As you say having it in a table would be good. Thinking about it, in a spreadsheet would be even better; and maybe best of all if everyone could add to the spreadsheet in order to keep it up to date.

Did you get anywhere with making a table of it?

One possibility could be to put it in a Google Documents Spreadsheet that is public on the web, where it could be updated.

Yes, many thanks, HateLPG.

Den2Mark - any experience with a Google Documents Spreadsheet? ( http://docs.google.com/demo/edit?id=scACtcbgjpNw5AMw2ERuRlLJD&hl=en&dt=spreadsheet#spreadsheet ).

MoneySavingExpert claims copyright on everything posted on the forum (that's normal, I believe) - so I guess everyone would have to input their own data - or give permission to someone else to input it.
  • The_Hornet
    Options
    Well I have met with some success as a result of my phone calls. Ignoring the rogues at Flogas, Calor and Shell I had a quote of 39 from Callow held until March 2011. This was their current domestic market price and after March it would be subject to normal market increases. It was not a special introductory rate, the only deal was that it would not go up for 4 months. Not bad I thought.

Back to Countrywide and their retentions department and I was offered a no contract price of 43.7p (instead of the proposed 49.2p) guaranteed for 3 months. After further haggling and another phone call this was reduced to 42p, again held for 3 months. Given their previous good service and the fact that I will not be bound by a contract I think I will go with this.
  • HateLPG
    HateLPG Posts: 464 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    LittleVermin & Den2Mark
    Den2Mark wrote: »
    One possibility could be to put it in a Google Documents Spreadsheet that is public on the web, where it could be updated.

Great idea - the simplest ones are usually the best - I'll look into it :beer:
  • Maljay
    Options
    Like many people here I'm a victim of the 5.5p Countrywide hike last week.
    I'm also an autogas customer of theirs. The price rise comparison is interesting. Since the beginning of 2008 to now, my autogas price has gone up from 44.4p to 58.4p, a rise of 31.5%. This includes the HMRC fuel levies. My bulk lpg over the same period has increased from 27.3p to 52p, a rise of 91% with no extra taxes!

Obviously you can fill your car up anywhere, so suppliers can only charge the going rate. For bulk supplies we're captive customers, so they're going to charge anything they can get away with. Keep shopping around I reckon. Shame on the suppliers for overcharging the thousands of customers who don't check the market. I couldn't even get hold of Countrywide today - they must have a lot of angry customers.
  • The_Hornet
    Options
    Maljay wrote: »
    Like many people here I'm a victim of the 5.5p Countrywide hike last week.
    I'm also an autogas customer of theirs. The price rise comparison is interesting. Since the beginning of 2008 to now, my autogas price has gone up from 44.4p to 58.4p, a rise of 31.5%. This includes the HMRC fuel levies. My bulk lpg over the same period has increased from 27.3p to 52p, a rise of 91% with no extra taxes!

Obviously you can fill your car up anywhere, so suppliers can only charge the going rate. For bulk supplies we're captive customers, so they're going to charge anything they can get away with. Keep shopping around I reckon. Shame on the suppliers for overcharging the thousands of customers who don't check the market. I couldn't even get hold of Countrywide today - they must have a lot of angry customers.
    Maljay, are you still in contract with Countrywide? If so you're stuffed. If like me though you are out of contract do as I did and threaten to leave and quote other suppliers' prices. Countrywide WILL do a deal with you!
  • Maljay
    Options
    Thanks, The Hornet. Good point - I just checked. I'm on 3 months notice or I can quit with 7 days notice if the price goes up and I don't like it! Pretty reasonable for once!

What's the best anyone has done with Countrywide in a haggling situation? After the 5.5p price rise, I'm currently paying 52.2p inc vat. I use around 4600 litres per year and have a 2200 litre tank.
  • x-x_2
    x-x_2 Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Why would you want to haggle with your existing provider of gas, the only reason that you can haggle is if another provider offers you a better deal. The best way to get the best price is to contact all the suppliers and to go with the supplier that offers you the best deal.
    So The Hornet is using Callow to get a better price from Countrywide but this deal is only available if if Callow offers a better deal.
    Please only do us all a favour and go with the supplier that offers the best deal because if the best supplier is only used to bargain with your original supplier the best supplier will not be around to offer us better deals and then who will you be able to bargain against.
    When I came to renew my contract I asked all suppliers to quote me a price, Shell came up with the best deal and I went went with them.
    Don't haggle, switch supplier.
  • The_Hornet
    Options
    x-x wrote: »
    Why would you want to haggle with your existing provider of gas, the only reason that you can haggle is if another provider offers you a better deal. The best way to get the best price is to contact all the suppliers and to go with the supplier that offers you the best deal.
    So The Hornet is using Callow to get a better price from Countrywide but this deal is only available if if Callow offers a better deal.
    Please only do us all a favour and go with the supplier that offers the best deal because if the best supplier is only used to bargain with your original supplier the best supplier will not be around to offer us better deals and then who will you be able to bargain against.
    When I came to renew my contract I asked all suppliers to quote me a price, Shell came up with the best deal and I went went with them.
    Don't haggle, switch supplier.
    Why haggle with my existing supplier? Because I want the best DEAL, not necessarily the best PRICE. Value is more than just price, good service is also something to be considered. I have had very good service from Countrywide over the 3 years I have been with them (including managing to come out to me in the depths of the cold spell in January when many tankers couldn't even get out of the depots) and switching to another supplier involves a degree of risk. For instance I might have considered Flogas if I had not known about their poor service as reported by other "Moneysavers".

However PRICE is a big element so I wanted to try and negotiate a better deal with my existing supplier. What is wrong with that? In the end I could have gone with a new supplier at around 39-40p but I decided to stay with Countrywide at a premium of 2p over that. That 2p buys me peace of mind and also keeps me free of a contract so I can negotiate again when I need another fill.

You talk about going to the "best" supplier, how do you define "best"? It sounds to me you mean "cheapest" and in my book "cheapest" is not always "best". Like I said, value is more important than price.
  • longforgotten
    Options
    My Countrywide prices, living in Monmouthshire, go like this

start 32.00p per litre
    increase 12/1/10 1.50p
    increase 3/10 1.80p
    April 2010 delivery = 35.30p per litre
    increase 9/10 3.50p
    increase 11/10 5.50p

So from my calculations my next delivery will be 44.30p per litre + vat.

Could be worse :o

Do you reckon there will another price hike ?
  • GrandadRob
    Options
    If the general rule applies, the nearer to the end of your contract, the more the price increases. This makes up for the low introductory offer.
    Hope I am wrong..............................
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure