Travel Insurance Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• confuciussay
    Options
    Looking at policy document for HolidaySafe, there seems to be a clause as follows:

If your health or your ongoing medication changes between the date the policies were bought and the date of travel you must advise Travel Administration Facilities as soon as possible on:
    0203 829 6765 We will advise you what cover we are able to provide, after the date of diagnosis. We reserve the right to increase the premium, increase the excess, exclude the condition or withdraw the cover should the stability of the condition make it necessary.

I thought taking out the holiday insurance when you booked your holiday was supposed to protect you against impact of change in health from point insurance taken out.

Is Martin aware of this clause? since his travel page is promoting this insurer?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,139 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's normal. If your health changes between booking & travel & the insurance company won't cover you to travel, they'll pay your cancellation costs.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Trevanddeb
    Options
    Hi
    We are travelling to Cubain October and have been told our insurance must be affiliated with Asiture. But have already got insurance has anyone had a problem or know anything about this
  • Victor_Delta
    Victor_Delta Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This may help. Otherwise I would speak to your own travel insurer about Cuba and/or look at the Cuba Forum on Trip Advisor.
  • HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I went to Cuba in 2012. Don't remember being asked to show my insurance, but it might happen.

What I did find out was that not all UK policies cover Cuba, so make sure that yours does.

Also, at the time, Cuba did not accept any policies that were associated with any US company. This may be why some policies do not cover Cuba, as mentioned above. This may now have changed due to the US being more friendly with Cuba.
  • poundsign
    poundsign Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2016 at 9:28AM
    Options
    Beware of buying any policy with Holidays safe. I bought the premier cover and am having to make a claim as my handbag was snatched while on holiday. The bag contained my passport, phone, kindle, purse, cards, make up, cash, cards and sunglasses. Apparently you have to buy extra gadget cover to be able to claim for the kindle and phone which was not evident when I bought this several months ago.
    You also have to provide receipts as proof of purchase for every single thing you claim for. Most of the items are not new so the chance of still having a receipt is slim and many (e.g. the kindle, sunglasses and the actual bag) were gifts. In order to claim I now have to provide bank and credit card statements from my family to support the claim and they will only prove a purchase was made from a shop on a specific day not what the purchase was. Even with these the assessor may reject the claim. Without these I can only claim £150 less the 60 excess, the net sum of £90.00 wont even cover the cost of the emergency passport.
  • Victor_Delta
    Victor_Delta Posts: 462 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 28 July 2016 at 12:45PM
    Options
    Yes, one needs to be careful when buying HolidaySafe's travel insurance.

You might like to repost your salutary story here - the HS feedback thread. The HS rep may even see it and be able to help perhaps?
  • Holidaysafe_Representative
    Holidaysafe_Representative Posts: 108 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi Poundsign,

Thank you for your review, my name is Amber and I am the Brand Manager for Holidaysafe.

Firstly I would like to sincerely apologise that you are dissatisfied by our claims policies regarding lost possessions.

If you would like to email me your policy details to holidaysafe@infinityinsurance.co.uk, I will liaise with the Claims team on your behalf and assist you through the claims process.

Kind regards,

Amber
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Holidaysafe. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    I need a bit of advice, I'm going to Europe for a week and I'm not sure if I need travel insurance. I have my EHIC for medical emergencies. I am not taking anything expensive so if my bag gets stolen... well I just have to buy new clothes and a £50 phone! Do you think there is any point getting travel insurance or would it cover something I haven't thought of? (going to Belgium and the Netherlands)
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • HoofeHearted
    HoofeHearted Posts: 2,651 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The answer is that you should always buy Travel Insurance.
    The EHIC will not cover you for the following:-
    o Having to cancel the holiday before you go - no refund on the cost of the holiday.
    o Repatriation as the result of a serious injury. Transport via business class/air ambulance/traveling medical staff, or worst case scenario, returning you in a coffin. None of this is cheap if you or your loved ones have to pay for it.

How many times have you seen those appeals on tv, facebook, justgiving, to raise funds to get a loved one home from abroad, because they did not have travel insurance?

Don't risk it. The price of cover for 1 week in Europe, with no pre-existing conditions, will not cost very much.
    :beer:
    I need a bit of advice, I'm going to Europe for a week and I'm not sure if I need travel insurance. I have my EHIC for medical emergencies. I am not taking anything expensive so if my bag gets stolen... well I just have to buy new clothes and a £50 phone! Do you think there is any point getting travel insurance or would it cover something I haven't thought of? (going to Belgium and the Netherlands)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback