Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 August 2015 at 3:03PM
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    So, at the end of two years with Calor, I've started looking about at who to go with for the next two years.

With all prices in bar one, ExtraFuel are miles ahead... So far ahead of the others, in fact, that I'm wondering how and why... Any gotchas to beware of with them?

(I'll list all the prices here once it's a done deal with whoever)

I switched to ExtraFuel in May 2010 - so on THIRD 2yr contract. I see no need to change. I read the forum, see the prices posted, know the customer service I get from ExtraFuel...and sign another contract.

Before ExtraFuel I was getting ripped off by BP, who had bought up my initial supplier, and when I complained I spoke to anonymous people somewhere, and got garbage letters. With ExtraFuel I get emails with monthly price updates (it's on their website anyway) and invoices from humans - with names (Val, Teresa, Leanne and Tracie in the office) - in Manchester, and Mark Slack who does most of the ops. And I can talk direct to other people there - including the boss, Paul Holt - if I need to.

What LPG users often find is that when they get a good quote from an independent (like ExtraFuel) and tell their current major supplier the latter can suddenly drop its initial price for a new contract to undercut the independent's. But of course the majors' contracts are full of get-out clauses. ExtraFuel changes its price at the beginning of each month (see HateLPG's charts) - apart from twice: once when there was a sudden jump in the wholesale price so ExtraFuel had a mid-month price rise (but honoured my order made just before the rise) and once when there was a major wholesale price fall - so there was a mid-month price drop.

ExtraFuel operates nationally by subcontracting deliveries beyond the range of its own tankers from its Manchester depot - so down here in Cornwall Flogas delivers...but I pay the ExtraFuel price, not Flogas's! And when we had ice and snow (rare in Cornwall!) there was no problem with deliveries i.e. we were not second class customers as some had warned on this forum. And in case someone says the LPG is cheap because it's second class you need to know that there are only a few refineries producing LPG in the UK - and all the suppliers use them, and most of the suppliers fill up their tankers from each others' depots!

Here's the website: http://www.extrafuel.co.uk/
  • RandomTask
    Options
    So far I've had 2 or 3 quotes for my new contract in Fife currently paying 48.5p with Calor and gone back to negotiate - play them against each other.

The cheapest is AvantiGas 30.5p fixed for a year with a 3p cap in the following 12 months £175 credit. £66 p/a rental.

Or Flogas 32p fixed, 5p cap in 2nd year, £250 credit and £60 p/a rental.

Calor offered 38p and didn't seem willing to negotiate, their loss.

Anyone had any good/bad experiences with Avanti or Flogas?

Thanks,
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Any bad experiences with Flo? Surely that's impossible...! Their reputation is impeccable...

</sarcasm>
  • RandomTask
    Options
    Any bad experiences with Flo? Surely that's impossible...! Their reputation is impeccable...

</sarcasm>

Thanks, Avanti were the cheapest anyway so have decided to go with them, and good to know I won't be paying anymore than an average of 32p over the next 2 years.
  • mcmullank
    mcmullank Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    RandomTask wrote: »
    Thanks, Avanti were the cheapest anyway so have decided to go with them, and good to know I won't be paying anymore than an average of 32p over the next 2 years.

Make sure you read the T & Cs. Avanti do not normally offer an absolute cap.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    So, at the end of two years with Calor, I've started looking about at who to go with for the next two years.

With all prices in bar one, ExtraFuel are miles ahead... So far ahead of the others, in fact, that I'm wondering how and why... Any gotchas to beware of with them?

(I'll list all the prices here once it's a done deal with whoever)

So...
    Calor 2013 - 45p/l, 16.9p/day, £150 intro bonus. We've used about 3,000 litres in two years, just shy of £1,400 all in.
    Calor 2015 renewal quote... 38p/l yr1, 41p/l yr2, 17.3p/day, £100 renewal bonus. Roughly £1,275.
    And, in descending order of temptingness...
    Cardiff - 37p/l currently, 21p/day, no contract. Roughly £1,325.
    Countrywide - 35p/l 12mo fix, £15/qtr. Roughly £1,230.
    Lister - 32.1p avg 2015 ANSI tracker, £50/yr. Roughly £1.120.
    Callow - 32p/l 12mo fix, £12.60/qtr. Roughly £1,115.
    Lister - 32p/l 12mo fix, £50/yr. Roughly £1,115.
    Avanti - 33.8p/l 24mo fix, £66/yr, £150 bonus. Roughly £1,050.
    Avanti - 29.8p/l 12mo fix (max 4p/6mo), £66/yr, £150 bonus. Roughly £930.
    Extrafuel - 29p/l 12mo fix (max 4p/2nd yr), £60/yr, £250 bonus. Roughly £790.

Woldlink declined to quote, not taking on any new customers.

So that's nearly £500 saving over blindly renewing, or over £600 over continuing on the old expired contract.
  • mcmullank
    Options
    So...
    Calor 2013 - 45p/l, 16.9p/day, £150 intro bonus. We've used about 3,000 litres in two years, just shy of £1,400 all in.
    Calor 2015 renewal quote... 38p/l yr1, 41p/l yr2, 17.3p/day, £100 renewal bonus. Roughly £1,275.
    And, in descending order of temptingness...
    Cardiff - 37p/l currently, 21p/day, no contract. Roughly £1,325.
    Countrywide - 35p/l 12mo fix, £15/qtr. Roughly £1,230.
    Lister - 32.1p avg 2015 ANSI tracker, £50/yr. Roughly £1.120.
    Callow - 32p/l 12mo fix, £12.60/qtr. Roughly £1,115.
    Lister - 32p/l 12mo fix, £50/yr. Roughly £1,115.
    Avanti - 33.8p/l 24mo fix, £66/yr, £150 bonus. Roughly £1,050.
    Avanti - 29.8p/l 12mo fix (max 4p/6mo), £66/yr, £150 bonus. Roughly £930.
    Extrafuel - 29p/l 12mo fix (max 4p/2nd yr), £60/yr, £250 bonus. Roughly £790.

Woldlink declined to quote, not taking on any new customers.

So that's nearly £500 saving over blindly renewing, or over £600 over continuing on the old expired contract.

AdrianC

Can you give us some background to the duplicates. The Avanti one in particular looks strange. Did they really offer a two year fix at the same price as the maximum you would pay in year 2 on the other option? Was the 29.8/33.8 an update over the 33.8 24mnth?
  • AdrianC
    Options
    mcmullank wrote: »
    Can you give us some background to the duplicates. The Avanti one in particular looks strange. Did they really offer a two year fix at the same price as the maximum you would pay in year 2 on the other option? Was the 29.8/33.8 an update over the 33.8 24mnth?

Yep.

The 12mo fix has a max rise of 5p (not 4p, my error) per six months - so in the final half year, you could be paying 39.8p/l. At the max rise, and assuming evenly spread deliveries, that's an average of 33.55p, vs 33.8p on the 24mo.

No, I couldn't quite see the point of the 24mo fix, either.

The only other dupe was Lister - 32p 12mo fix vs ANSI tracker (which has averaged 32.1p this year, from their figures).

Whichever way you look at it, my switch form's on the way to Extra...
  • AdrianC
    edited 14 August 2015 at 12:52PM
    Options
    Calor's retention team have reacted to the ExtraFuel switch form by phoning up and offering us a "better deal than your local depot have access to". Strangely, it's almost a straight mirror of ExtraFuel's pricing...

29p first year, 32.5p second year. Tank rental 17.3p/day. £250 bonus.

If they'd offered me that to start with, we'd be staying - but I don't play that game...

Edit: Avanti have just called, too. "Oooh, it's a shame we didn't speak to you earlier"
  • mcmullank
    Options
    Calor's retention team have reacted to the ExtraFuel switch form by phoning up and offering us a "better deal than your local depot have access to". Strangely, it's almost a straight mirror of ExtraFuel's pricing...

29p first year, 32.5p second year. Tank rental 17.3p/day. £250 bonus.

If they'd offered me that to start with, we'd be staying - but I don't play that game...

Yep, I received a similar phone call when they received my switch form to which I responded by telling them I had e-mailed them on numerous occasions to review my price and they chose to ignore the e-mails and I was now reciprocating by ignoring their offer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback