Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• NeilJ66
    NeilJ66 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Quick update on sourcing a provider:
    Finally managed to buy the house..
    Initial quotes from:

AvantiGas:
    39ppl + 5%VAT. 2nd year capped to no more than 10ppl increase

Extrafuel:
    29ppl + 5%VAT. 2nd year capped to no more than 5ppl increase

Woldlink - quote in progress.

I got a quote from Avanti a couple of months ago, I didn't take up the offer and they've e mailed me this today:

This month Avanti Gas have a special offer of:

34.5PPL Fixed For the first 12 months. + £100 Free gas credit

The Exclusivity Period is a 2-year-term, the unit price quoted is guaranteed for the first year of the agreement.

Thereafter there is a 5 pence per litre cap in any six month period.

(Subject to 5% VAT)

(This quote is valid for 30days.)

That's to a North Wales postcode, LL53
  • CillitBang111
    Options
    Quick update on sourcing a provider:
    Finally managed to buy the house..
    Initial quotes from:

AvantiGas:
    39ppl + 5%VAT. 2nd year capped to no more than 10ppl increase

Extrafuel:
    29ppl + 5%VAT. 2nd year capped to no more than 5ppl increase

Woldlink - quote in progress.

Had an improved offer from Avantigas:

37ppl year 1 followed by 40ppl 2nd year. Or...
    38ppl fixed for 12 months and £75 gas credit to your account.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This is where it's going to start being fun...

Our tank was last filled at the start of Feb. Our (45p, Calor) contract is up in September - first delivery to the new tank they installed was 12/9/13.
    The tank is currently on 42% (no telemetry), and the heating is firmly off - we've got solar HW, so through the summer use very little gas.

...and there's a delivery scheduled for the start of August...

What do you reckon our chances of persuading them not to deliver again under this contract are...? Yeh, me too... But it'll be fun to try.
  • LittleVermin
    LittleVermin Posts: 737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    This is where it's going to start being fun...

Our tank was last filled at the start of Feb. Our (45p, Calor) contract is up in September - first delivery to the new tank they installed was 12/9/13.
    The tank is currently on 42% (no telemetry), and the heating is firmly off - we've got solar HW, so through the summer use very little gas.

...and there's a delivery scheduled for the start of August...

What do you reckon our chances of persuading them not to deliver again under this contract are...? Yeh, me too... But it'll be fun to try.
    If the delivery schedule IS in your (signed) contract then you just tell Calor that you will be looking for another supplier for the next 2 years as their prices are very high - quote HateLPG's latest chart* and a few figures you've get for suppliers for your postcode. Forum users have reported that supplier(s) have dropped their contracted fixed price after this approach...but without searching this thread I don't know if the suppliers included Calor.

If the delivery schedule is NOT in your contract then you just tell Calor not to deliver. But, as has been suggested before more than once, you do this by email - with a 'read receipt' request, by letter - recorded delivery, and then after a few days also by phone, recording the name of the person you speak to and the time, mentioning your email and letter. AND you attach a copy of the correspondence to the tank top with a note for the tanker driver. Be aware that though you may hear an automated voice on the phone that says calls are recorded the content often isn't - just the caller's number and the time. And unwanted LPG can be pumped out by the tankers (you'll need to start quoting the Unfair Trading Regs 2008 about unsolicited goods).....this costs the supplier money so they'll probably do a deal on the price.

I don't see where "fun" comes into this! Or persuasion, for that matter.

For the benefit of other forum users could you post the relevant clause, if any, from your contract, please? So others can strike it out from their draft contracts!

*http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=2486
  • AdrianC
    Options
    I haven't even got as far as looking the contract out yet...

I sent this via their website contact form :-
    Hi, Our current contract is coming up for renewal in September, and I know that prices have come down from our current 45p. We have adequate gas to see us through to the end of the contract. Therefore, please DO NOT deliver again under this contract unless conditions chance and I explicitly request otherwise. Can you please confirm the contract date, so that I can start to get comparative prices in time to make whatever arrangements are necessary should we feel the need to change from Calor.
    Thanks in advance.

Within an hour and a half, I've had this reply from a Real Live Human With A Name...
    Hi Mr C.
    Contract attached.
    Renewable date 3/9/13.
    I have cancelled any further deliveries until you contact us.
    If you would like to renew your contract with Calor, we can give competitive rates.
    I would await to see what the best price is in mid August.
    Regards
    <name>

You're right. There's no fun in that - it was too easy...
    (and, yes, I'm going to be watching the website to see for any deliveries scheduled, and tucking a printed copy into the tank lid)
  • scotkat
    scotkat Posts: 394 Forumite
    Options
    We've recently bought a house that has an lpg tank. The company that the previous owners used have been in touch & offered the following:

16.44p per day rental of tank
    40ppl fixed for 12 months, maximum increase of 3ppl in year 2.

Are these reasonable figures? I've only had a quick scan of this thread. We're in north east Scotland.

Thanks!
  • mcmullank
    mcmullank Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    scotkat wrote: »
    We've recently bought a house that has an lpg tank. The company that the previous owners used have been in touch & offered the following:

16.44p per day rental of tank
    40ppl fixed for 12 months, maximum increase of 3ppl in year 2.

Are these reasonable figures? I've only had a quick scan of this thread. We're in north east Scotland.

Thanks!

What is the historical usage? I am in the NE and was offered 40p fixed for year one and 43p for year 2 with £250 gas credit.

Please be aware that maximum increases are not usually the absolute maximum increase that can be applied but the maximum that you have no recourse for. Calor can increase your price by 10p in year 2 and your only options will be to accept it or move supplier. If all the other suppliers are dearer than Calor then you would have no option but to accept it. Just a friendly warning - ask for the T & Cs before you agree to any deal and then read them!
  • scotkat
    scotkat Posts: 394 Forumite
    edited 28 May 2015 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Thanks mcmullank, that quote I gave was with J Gas. Having spoken to Calor today they've offered a better deal. Is Calor a company to be avoided though?!

eta Avanti have offered an even better deal, 32.5ppl fixed for 2 years.
  • AdrianC
    Options
    scotkat wrote: »
    Is Calor a company to be avoided though?!
    I've been very happy with them, and would have no qualms about renewing my contract if the price is right.
  • CillitBang111
    Options
    Had an improved offer from Avantigas:

37ppl year 1 followed by 40ppl 2nd year. Or...
    38ppl fixed for 12 months and £75 gas credit to your account.

Update after speaking to Woldlink:
    They are currently not taking on any further domestic customers due to the terms of their contract.
    Nice people to deal with though and most helpful onthe phone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback