🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• babe-ruth
    babe-ruth Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ozzysmate wrote: »
    A quick update on my transfer from Avanti to Woldlink/Flogas:

I started the enquiry on 3rd Feb and requested a transfer.

11th Feb. I received the transfer papers from Flogas which I completed and emailed back to them.

18th Feb. Avanti Retentions called and offered a further reduction to 35p/L having earlier offered 38p/L after I called, having received their contract renewal papers stating no change from 46p/L

Friday, 27th I received a letter, dated 24th from Flogas with confirmation of the transfer. The below ground tank is now their responsibility for <£100/year paid by direct debit.

Friday 27th I called Woldlink and placed an order for 1,500L at a cost of £375 That, including 5% VAT, equates to 25p/L

No fixed prices, offers or giveaways, payment is taken at time of ordering and Woldlink email the price/L monthly so you can judge when might be the best time for a top up.

Are woldlink and flogas the same then?
  • thozza
    thozza Posts: 307 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    babe-ruth wrote: »
    Are woldlink and flogas the same then?

No, Woldlink are a purchasing group, Flogas are the supplier to Woldlink that delivers the LPG. The payment is made to Woldlink.
  • Ozzysmate
    Ozzysmate Posts: 41 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    thozza wrote: »
    No, Woldlink are a purchasing group, Flogas are the supplier to Woldlink that delivers the LPG. The payment is made to Woldlink.

Wot 'e said :)

Gas was delivered on 9th March.

It took longer than the usual few days, from order, for delivery to be made but it was all good. The driver remembered the address from a few years back when I was a direct customer, a time I'd rather not think about :(
  • babe-ruth
    Options
    Hi all,

We moved into our house oct last year. The lpg tank was 80% (ish) full and we paid the then owners for this.

The tank is supplied by Calor. We have not yet signed up with anyone and at last look the tank was at 55%.

Can anyone advise if we are best to wait till we need filling up to sign up with a supplier or do it now?

This is our first experience of lpg.

Thank you
  • mcmullank
    mcmullank Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all,

We moved into our house oct last year. The lpg tank was 80% (ish) full and we paid the then owners for this.

The tank is supplied by Calor. We have not yet signed up with anyone and at last look the tank was at 55%.

Can anyone advise if we are best to wait till we need filling up to sign up with a supplier or do it now?

This is our first experience of lpg.

Thank you

Based on your usage of 25% since October, I would think that you will have enough gas to see you through to October at least (based on normal winter vs summer usage).

I would guess that Calor will be in touch to try and get you to sign the 2-year contract very soon. In fact I am surprised that they haven't been in touch so far. I would wait until the summer time and see what level your gas is at and then get in touch with all the suppliers to see what deal they will offer.

If you are new to the LPG market then a quick read of some of this thread will give you some tips and information about the supplier's that will supply your area, tank siting etc.

My main advise would be;-

DO NOT accept the first offer from any of the suppliers and be prepared to play one off against the other.
  • babe-ruth
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Mcmullank,

I have spoken to Calor and they gave me a price but I have not committed to anyone yet hence reason for wondering when to do it and who to go with. I've had two other quotes from Avanti and Flogas. Without looking I can't remember who was cheapest except to say it wasn't Calor!

I'm currently paying Calor a Standing Charge, if that's what you call it
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,465 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm currently paying Calor a Standing Charge, if that's what you call it

Hmm ... so, does that mean that you are 'sort of' under contract with them?
    Maybe not??
  • J_B
    Options
    Our 2 year contract with Avanti was/is up now

I invited quotes from everyone I could think of :D

Many said we were 'out of area' - The tank is in NW Wales 2500L/year usage

The prices offered were:-
    Extrafuel - 35
    Mole Valley - 34.75
    Camgas - 40
    Calor - 39 with £250 cashback
    Avanti - 37 with £100 cashback
    Woldlink - 23.83 *Feb spot price*

I settled with Woldlink and have ordered on their March spot price of 27.71
  • mw2655
    mw2655 Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    hi,

i'm new to LPG. just moved to house with it.

when i spoke to wold link last week, they were helpful explaining how it all worked with lpg but said they were unable to take on any more domestic customers as had taken on too many (thanks to MSE) and were to skewed to domestic.

cheers matt
  • J_B
    Options
    Been to the Home Building and Renovating Show at the NEC today

Avanti are offering a 2 year fix of 34.9ppl - 'special show offer'

;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate