Bulk LPG - Cheapest suppliers / supply route?

Options

Comments

• The_Hornet
    Options
    Been a while since I checked in here as I've been on a 2yr contract with Countrywide. Fortunately that's now come to an end so I'm looking around and this is what I've had so far:

Lister "fixed" price: 29ppl fixed for 6 months and after the 6 months, if market conditions are still stable, then we will leave the price as it is for as long as possible. Plus £50 tank rental.

Lister ANSI tracker: 30.93ppl for Nov 15 and then tracking the ANSI index. Recent history given was
    Jan-15 31.44
    Feb-15 31.34
    Mar-15 34.20
    Apr-15 34.00
    May-15 33.60
    Jun-15 30.97
    Jul-15 31.52
    Aug-15 30.31
    Sep-15 28.56
    Oct-15 30.30
    Nov-15 30.93

Extrafuel: 29.90ppl fixed for the first year ​with a maximum increase of 4p in the whole of the second year. We are also offering £250 free gas credit. Tank rental £60 (or £120 underground)

Countrywide: Initial offer of 38ppl (!!) but the "pricing team" are now looking at it.

I'm still waiting for a couple of other quotes.
  • Bethmiss
    Options
    Mum's 2 year contract, ends in Nov 2016. Price of 38ppl was fixed for 12 months from Nov 2014. We are in Aberdeenshire, and prices here do seem to be somewhat higher than further down the country - but I'll go back to Flogas and see how I get on. Thanks All.
  • mcmullank
    mcmullank Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 November 2015 at 10:35PM
    Options
    Bethmiss wrote: »
    Mum's 2 year contract, ends in Nov 2016. Price of 38ppl was fixed for 12 months from Nov 2014. We are in Aberdeenshire, and prices here do seem to be somewhat higher than further down the country - but I'll go back to Flogas and see how I get on. Thanks All.

Hi

You also need to read the contract and make sure that the price rise is within any limits set in the contract. If this is not the case you will be able to exit the contract without penalty.

You don't mention the annual usage which tends to be more influence on price than location. You need to have a real brass neck and badger them for lower prices. Use posts from here as an example, I am also in Aberdeenshire supplied by Flogas but through WoldLink and my price is as posted above (24.41ppl for November). This gives you an idea of the level of profit that Flogas are making when they can supply through a third party at this price.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Bethmiss wrote: »

I suggest that you contact Woldlink and Extrafuel first for firm prices, then go back to Flogas and tell them to beat that or you are moving - simples.

:)
  • mcmullank
    Options
    J_B wrote: »
    I suggest that you contact Woldlink and Extrafuel first for firm prices, then go back to Flogas and tell them to beat that or you are moving - simples.

:)

Not quite so simples. :undecided

Extrafuel do not deliver to Aberdeenshire. Also, if you are in contract, you cannot simply move unless there has been a breach of contract or exit conditions are met (usually for excessive price increases). If the contract holder attempts to get someone else to fill their tank without the existing owner of the tank agreeing then they will be very fortunate.
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mcmullank wrote: »
    Not quite so simples. :undecided

Extrafuel do not deliver to Aberdeenshire. Also, if you are in contract, you cannot simply move unless there has been a breach of contract or exit conditions are met (usually for excessive price increases). If the contract holder attempts to get someone else to fill their tank without the existing owner of the tank agreeing then they will be very fortunate.

Point taken re Aberdeen - maybe go on the uklpg site and see who does then.
    Also misread the bit about contract end - just saw November and didn't see 2016. :o

No harm in getting prices though, just to batter Flogas to not increase the price! :)
  • craigdarroch
    craigdarroch Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 15 November 2015 at 9:00PM
    Options
    I live in Cumbria. I'm with Calor and have negotiated 38ppl +Vat fixed for 24 months, a 'loyalty credit' of £150, and standing charge of 17.28 ppday + vat. I used a switching site to get a quote and Flogas offered £250 worth of free LPG
    31 pence per litre Fixed throughout Year One.
    3.5 pence per litre maximum increase throughout Year Two.
    Two year agreement.
    Above ground tank standing charge £60 per annum *
    All prices are subject to a chargeable rate of 5% VAT.
    My usage is around 1200 litres pa, which I think is low.
    Should I switch to Flogas or stick with Calor who have been fine for 20 years apart from having to fight over prices every year?
    The switching site I used to get a quote was switch my lpg ( all one word)
  • mcmullank
    Options
    I live in Cumbria. I'm with Calor and have negotiated 38ppl +Vat fixed for 24 months, a 'loyalty credit' of £150, and standing charge of 17.28 ppday + vat. I used a switching site to get a quote and Flogas offered £250 worth of free LPG
    31 pence per litre Fixed throughout Year One.
    3.5 pence per litre maximum increase throughout Year Two.
    Two year agreement.
    Above ground tank standing charge £60 per annum *
    All prices are subject to a chargeable rate of 5% VAT.
    My usage is around 1200 litres pa, which I think is low.
    Should I switch to Flogas or stick with Calor who have been fine for 20 years apart from having to fight over prices every year?
    The switching site I used to get a quote was switch my lpg ( all one word)
    Why would you not switch? With the numbers quoted here, it would be crazy to go with Calor. You are expecting to save 7p per litre in the first year with equates to £84 + £100 more in a gas credit. Flogas would have to raise the second year price to 58p before it would be dearer. If this was the case then you would just switch after year 1.

Calor 2 year gas (2400 * 0.38) - £100 = £812
    Flogas year 1 (1200 * .31) - £250 = £122 + Flogas year 2 (1200 * .345) = £414 for a total of £536

Savings based on prices quoted = £276

No brainer.
  • Bethmiss
    Options
    Thanks all for the very useful comments and, especially info that Woldlink would be a possibility for us - once existing contract ends. Flogas contract includes price protection increase of 3.5ppl, but that's supposedly only if lpg price is rising! Used to get 14 days to object, which I've done by phone - but think I'd better write too.

Usage is 2000 - 2500 litres - depending on weather!
  • Juliandicks
    Juliandicks Posts: 13 Forumite
    edited 23 November 2015 at 2:51PM
    Options
    I was one of the very first customers to contract to Woldlink for my LPG and have enjoyed 2 years of paying no more than 25ppl and as low as 18.5ppl for my fuel. Unfortunately this spot market pricing option is no longer offered which means I am at the position to start afresh looking for my gas.

Their new offer still looks rather tempting with a fixed price of 29.95ppl until March 2016. My only initial concern is where pricing will be after March next year. Although they won’t make me any promises I have been assured that it will be as competitive as they can achieve and that it I will benefit from lower pricing if the market comes down and fixed pricing if it does not alter. The basis is that you will only see an increase in price if the market moves and not the set increase you seem to get when the 2nd year of yourc ontract has an upper level of say 3.5ppl increase.

Has anybody had a contract where by it has never risen the full amount in the second year?

I have not been able to find anything cheaper at the moment and I have been more than happy with delivery and the customer service which is excellent, just wanted a last check to make sure there is not another mega deal out there that I have not seen.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback