Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mekondelta
    • By mekondelta 12th Aug 05, 9:43 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 26Thanks
    mekondelta
    4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard!
    • 12th Aug 05, 9:43 PM
    4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard! 12th Aug 05 at 9:43 PM
    I threatened to leave Barclaycard today (called the number on the back of the card) and was put through to customer retention. He asked me why I wanted to leave (no Netcar points, no benefits etc) and he offered me 4000 Nectar points to stay! Needless to say I took it and will cancel next month.

Insert By Martin

A number of people have tried and this technique and had it work. A couple of quick extra points.

1. A Nectar point's average value is 0.54p so 4000 points is worth just a little over 20
    2. If you have debts then if you can avoid actually cancelling the Barclaycard. Threatening to is fine. Barclaycard has an interesting characteristic - it offers most existing customers a balance transfer offer at 6.9% life of balance - in other words, shift debt to it and that debt is 6.9% until its repaid in full. This ready access to reasonably cheap credit is worth having. For more details see Barclaycard Loophole article and The Credit Card Shuffle
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 29-09-2005 at 8:49 AM.
Page 1
    • KP74
    • By KP74 22nd Sep 05, 9:12 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KP74
    • 22nd Sep 05, 9:12 PM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 9:12 PM
    I too threatened to leave Barclaycard and was given 4000 Nectar points for staying and continue using my card.
    • donnalou
    • By donnalou 22nd Sep 05, 9:20 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    donnalou
    • 22nd Sep 05, 9:20 PM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 9:20 PM
    kp74, Can I ask how long ago you phoned them? Was it after they stopped rewarding Nectar points ie 1st Sept
    • KP74
    • By KP74 22nd Sep 05, 9:30 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    KP74
    • 22nd Sep 05, 9:30 PM
    • 22nd Sep 05, 9:30 PM
    I called them today at 7.10pm.
    • donnalou
    • By donnalou 23rd Sep 05, 11:01 AM
    • 471 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    donnalou
    • 23rd Sep 05, 11:01 AM
    • 23rd Sep 05, 11:01 AM
    Yes I just phoned them, I've got the 4000 points. I'm so pleased think I'll save to points towards my Christmas shopping in Argos.
  • klondyke
    • 23rd Sep 05, 11:16 AM
    • 23rd Sep 05, 11:16 AM
    Pah - no Nectar points for me, although they asked me why cancelling. Still, to be fair, I haven't used the card for ages, having had a stooze on it which ran out a while back, so was meaning to cancel anyway.

Perhaps the 4k points are only for those who have been using the card and making them profits. Spose I can't blame 'em really!
    • withabix
    • By withabix 23rd Sep 05, 2:03 PM
    • 8,959 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    • 23rd Sep 05, 2:03 PM
    • 23rd Sep 05, 2:03 PM
    Do let us konw if your points materialise, as i'm pretty certain that the last Nectar points with Barclaycard were issued for statements prior to 1st September.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 23rd Sep 05, 2:07 PM
    • 4,651 Posts
    • 26,401 Thanks
    N9eav
    • 23rd Sep 05, 2:07 PM
    • 23rd Sep 05, 2:07 PM
    HMMM I used this for a stooze too. Whats' 4000 nectar points worht in real money? Might be worth the effort
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • bob_builder
    • 23rd Sep 05, 3:09 PM
    • 23rd Sep 05, 3:09 PM
    HMMM I used this for a stooze too. Whats' 4000 nectar points worht in real money? Might be worth the effort
    by N9eav
    4000 nectar points = 20
    Two Ways to Live
    Which way will you choose? "... as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."
  • celtic_yob
    I'm Glad Barclays are treating some of you fair.
    Me, what do you think?

My last bill using my Barclay card was 1.727, it was due to be paid 15th September. I paid it on the 25th of August, so that I would be in plenty of time before the deadline of August 31st.

I just seen tonight what they awarded me 178 points.

I am a little tamping, just sent them an E-mail threatening them that I will take them to the small claims court.

Anyone think I may have a chance of winning?

Ralph.
    • donnalou
    • By donnalou 23rd Sep 05, 9:09 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    donnalou
    I've just checked my old bills you get 1 point for every 2 you spend. It doesn't matter how much or when you pay your bill. If you spent 1727 you should have got 863 points.I would ring them straight away on 0800 400100
  • celtic_yob
    Thanks donnalou

Well, I have wrote an e-mail, they have just now sent me an e-mail back stating that I should use some other way to send an e-mail.

I have done it the same way before with no problems.

Probably want me to go away quietly.

I will phone as you suggested, just hope I don't loos my cool.
  • celtic_yob
    Phoned as suggested.

they are going to make it up to the correct amount.

I'm with Tesco now!

Thanks for the phone No.
  • helen21
    4000 nectar points = 20
    by bob_builder
    Or 40 in adams kids clothes shop

helen21
  • fourmi
    Cool, up 4k points, had been spending like a maniac in the 3 months before 1st spetember to get all the next 6 month's big expenses through (approx 10k's worth especially with xmas around the corner). I mentioned the new nectar amex, that it was mainly a nectar point thing, but that i was also looking out for good balance transfer deals too. he bit for 4k points, but not for 0% no fee lifetime xfers ho hum!
    • ericpode
    • By ericpode 28th Sep 05, 4:09 PM
    • 330 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    ericpode
    I have phoned them and complained in writing, and threatened to cancel my card (which I use regularly for purchases). No Nectar points offered at all.
    • mariejader
    • By mariejader 28th Sep 05, 5:41 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 2,995 Thanks
    mariejader
    A bit of topic I know and am sorry but vodafone have also dropped Nectar and I don't think Debenhams go over the top to ask for your card any more anyone know why?
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 28th Sep 05, 5:56 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I've also just phoned them. I've been a regular Barclaycard customer for years and threatened to go to Amex. No points offered and he agreed I'd have to get an Amex card if I wanted more Nectar points.
    • Ellie2758
    • By Ellie2758 28th Sep 05, 7:25 PM
    • 2,801 Posts
    • 1,664 Thanks
    Ellie2758
    the points that I got from Debenhams were DEDUCTED from the total on my last Nectar statement. I have written to ask them why as there was no phone number on the statement.

Ellie
  • dafp1953
    Possible reply to Mariejader
    They do not ask you for your Nectar card in Sainsburys anymore - so I asked why not? The answer I was given was ' They are not allowed to any more, it is down to the customer to offer it to them!' Point evasion - hoping the customer will forget me thinks?? :rolleyes:

ta Daf
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,555Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin