4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard!

I threatened to leave Barclaycard today (called the number on the back of the card) and was put through to customer retention. He asked me why I wanted to leave (no Netcar points, no benefits etc) and he offered me 4000 Nectar points to stay! Needless to say I took it and will cancel next month.

Insert By Martin

A number of people have tried and this technique and had it work. A couple of quick extra points.

1. A Nectar point's average value is 0.54p so 4000 points is worth just a little over £20
2. If you have debts then if you can avoid actually cancelling the Barclaycard. Threatening to is fine. Barclaycard has an interesting characteristic - it offers most existing customers a balance transfer offer at 6.9% life of balance - in other words, shift debt to it and that debt is 6.9% until its repaid in full. This ready access to reasonably cheap credit is worth having. For more details see Barclaycard Loophole article and The Credit Card Shuffle

Comments

• KP74
    KP74 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I too threatened to leave Barclaycard and was given 4000 Nectar points for staying and continue using my card.
  • kp74, Can I ask how long ago you phoned them? Was it after they stopped rewarding Nectar points ie 1st Sept
  • KP74
    KP74 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    I called them today at 7.10pm.
  • Yes I just phoned them, I've got the 4000 points. I'm so pleased think I'll save to points towards my Christmas shopping in Argos.
  • Pah - no Nectar points for me, although they asked me why cancelling. Still, to be fair, I haven't used the card for ages, having had a stooze on it which ran out a while back, so was meaning to cancel anyway.

Perhaps the 4k points are only for those who have been using the card and making them profits. Spose I can't blame 'em really!
  • withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    Do let us konw if your points materialise, as i'm pretty certain that the last Nectar points with Barclaycard were issued for statements prior to 1st September.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    HMMM I used this for a stooze too. Whats' 4000 nectar points worht in real money? Might be worth the effort
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • N9eav wrote:
    HMMM I used this for a stooze too. Whats' 4000 nectar points worht in real money? Might be worth the effort
    4000 nectar points = £20
  • I'm Glad Barclays are treating some of you fair.
    Me, what do you think?

My last bill using my Barclay card was £1.727, it was due to be paid 15th September. I paid it on the 25th of August, so that I would be in plenty of time before the deadline of August 31st.

I just seen tonight what they awarded me 178 points.

I am a little tamping, just sent them an E-mail threatening them that I will take them to the small claims court.

Anyone think I may have a chance of winning?

Ralph.
  • I've just checked my old bills you get 1 point for every £2 you spend. It doesn't matter how much or when you pay your bill. If you spent £1727 you should have got 863 points.I would ring them straight away on 0800 400100
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure