Forum Home » Credit Cards

4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard! - Page 4

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
75 replies 50.4K views

Replies

• dvsdvs Forumite
    825 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Have to say that I am not that impressed with Barclycard. I signed up sometime ago because of the prise promise, free warranty protection, insurance if things were stolen and eventually the Nectar points. One by one they have taken them away due to lack of customer interest (apparently). Instead they replace them with free travel insurance if you use their travel service and pay with their card. Well other credit cards offer this when you pay with their cards anyway, plus many travel companies would negociate on insurance if you were buying a complete package. There is no point staying with them for me so I might try the Nectar thing (although I would settle for a balance transfer rate). Plus I got my new Amex Nectar card yesterday!
  • Hi

I threatened to leave Barclaycard this morning and they have given me 4000 Nectar points. I'll leave anyway next month and am switching to AMEX.
  • I'm just in the middle of moving my credit card debts around and chopping a card. Barclaycard is my victim as no more nectar ... but i'll take the points if they wanna give them to me
  • Tried to negotiate Nectar points 4000 bonus with Barclaycard this morning but they don't seem interested in keeping my wife and I as customers. Have been with them for many years and use card quite a bit but my threat was not interesting to them it appears.
    I use the internatiuonal number ad then got through. I HATE 0870!
  • same here, just phoned (using the 0800 number earlier in this thread, they had to redirect me but at least it was free!) & they weren't interested in offering anything other than free travel insurance to keep me.
  • tried this morning to get the nectar points deal..."we no longer award nectar points...blah blah blah". they are next on our hit list. i find that barclays are generally c**p at customer service anyway....
    Regards

Mark
  • I have taken up age discrimination with b/card since they dropped Nectar points & replaced it with free travel insurance for the UNDER 65's. I had a phone call from them & whilst they would not admit to the words age discrimination, they have given me a £20 reduction on my next bill!
    Filiss
  • As a result of Martin's tips, I closed my Mastercard [Nectar] account and opened an Amex one, with cash back. I still have my Barclaycard, which is probably why they didn't offer me any incentive to stay.
  • Ive just phoned and been given 8000 points, 4k on visa and 4k on mastercard. I think they are only doing this for their valued customers (or what they percieve as valued customers). Ive had an account with Barclaycard since 1994 and have spent a lot of money on it, so maybe they are only giving on this basis???
  • i tried this myself this morning at about 1120 and was not impressed. i put almost all my shopping on creditcards every month and pay off in full the following. I was not too happy with barclaycard for their decision to pull out of nectar as the majority of my points were from this card. So i took out a tesco credit card, mounts up loads of clubcard points really quick. i phoned barclaycard to request cancelling my card, and pointed out that tesco's give points and free travel insurance regardless of who you book through. They simply said they would shut my account with immediate effect and send me a final bill. No offer of extra nectar points. But i do use the tesco one far more because of the better extra's. Worth a try for 4000 points, and i probably would have cancelled it soon anyway.