Forum Home» Credit Cards

4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard! - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
75 replies 50.4K views

Replies

• gooliemangoolieman Forumite
    101 posts
    companies dropping out -
    watch out for a massive kick in the teeth for Nectar when one of their other main partners pulls out in the next 3 months....

Sainsburys!!!
    No reliance should be placed on the above.
  • divadeedivadee Forumite
    10.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    goolieman wrote:
    companies dropping out -
    watch out for a massive kick in the teeth for Nectar when one of their other main partners pulls out in the next 3 months....

Sainsburys!!!

i havent heard that anywhere???? Where did you hear that? are sainsburys going back to the old reward card?
  • shellyd_3shellyd_3 Forumite
    194 posts
    I have just rang and no points given, I have been with them over 25 years and always spend £1000 per month which I payoff in full. (could this be the reason?) He said I could cancel if I wanted.

michelle
  • RafterRafter Forumite
    3.8K posts
    If you spend £200 per month on any credit card and repay it in full, the card company gets about £2 in income from the retailer.

It costs them over £2 a month to issue statements, process transactions, process payments, issue cards, run all their computer systems, cover fraud costs and pay interest on the interest free period.

Don't be surprised if a card company doesn't fight to keep your custom as a result!

The guys getting 000's of nectar points must have borrowed at some point in the past and be flagged by the computer as a 'valuable' customer.

Remember that this is true of the new cards offering good cashback too like Egg Money or Citi, Morgan Stanley or Tesco. They can't afford to keep offering these cash back rates and soon enough they will fall.

The only reason why companies continue to offer cashback or other insentives is in the hope that you will buy other products like a loan or insurance from them, or that at some point you will borrow and pay them some interest.

R.
    Smile :), it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
  • "companies dropping out -

Sainsburys!!!"

Highly unlikely. A good chunk of Sainsbury's customers would cross the street to get Tesco Clubcard points, and Sainsbury's knows this. It's a lot cheaper for Sainsburys to use the Nectar program than to build one themselves. Also, if Sainsburys dropped out of Nectar, a new supermarket would step up immediately to fill its place in the program. Why? Because Nectar owns the customer data and could creatively find ways for the new supermarket to target Sainsbury's customers to get them to switch.

There's been a lot of discussion about the imminent demise of Nectar. Looking objectively, they've lost Vodaphone and Barclaycard as sponsors. But, they've signed D & A, American Express, Talk Talk and ebookers in the last 6 months. Doesn't sound like Nectar is on death's door...
  • lswwonglswwong Forumite
    407 posts
    I have been with Barclaycard for 16 years (gosh, has it been that long? Only knew when the operator informed me). Think I might have owed them a £100 or £200 some 14 years ago for a couple of months. Otherwise, I am what they call a "full payer".

I asked to cancel my card and was not offered any incentives to stay .....

Looks like only those people who owed money in the recent past and were paying interests would be offered incentives to stay.
  • lswwong wrote:
    I have been with Barclaycard for 16 years (gosh, has it been that long? Only knew when the operator informed me). Think I might have owed them a £100 or £200 some 14 years ago for a couple of months. Otherwise, I am what they call a "full payer".

I asked to cancel my card and was not offered any incentives to stay .....

Looks like only those people who owed money in the recent past and were paying interests would be offered incentives to stay.

I've never paid interest, but have my current account and about £25 k in deposits with Barclays. Maybe that's why I got the 4 k.
  • ZiziZizi Forumite
    78 posts
    I rang today and was informed the offer ended on 30/09/05.

My bill is never really more than £150 per month, apart from the yearly car insurance bill which is usually £800+. Been with them for 3 years. Always paid bill off in full each month.

The customer services representitive said she couldnt give me the nectar points (4000) and said it was only worth £10 anyway, but she gave me £10 off my next bill instead.

Result!
  • redfoxredfox Forumite, Board Guide
    15.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lswwong wrote:

sorry to disprove your theory but I've never borrowed from them or owed them a penny past the payment date - being one of those pay in full every month people. Always have done that for the 24 years that I've had the card. Yet they offered me the Nectar points. Guess it's a bit of a lottery :rolleyes:
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries and Shop but don't drop boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• I called up Barclaycard today, and told them i wanted to leave as they have abandoned their nectar points scheme, they first told me that the schame was abandoned and replaced with travel insurance, and a travel booking service, then they told me that the 4000 points scheme had been abolished today, but they are offering a Waterstones vouchers instead. I was told that the standard is £10 voucher, but I was offered £30 as I have been a very good customer, I do not know if this is true, or whether they just said that.

Hope the info helps.
    Good luck.