Forum Home» Credit Cards

4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard! - Page 3

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
75 replies 50.4K views

Replies

• I have just phoned threatening to leave and no points awarded. He offered me free travel insurance but as I am not giong anywhere I turned him down.
    Boo!!
  • I have just spoken to Barclaycard and told them that I will be closing my account with them when I get my next statement as I can get a Sainsbury's Visa, with 0% on balance transfers and purchases for 9 months and get nectar points too. They said fine, I could do that!! So much for loyalty - I've been using Barclaycard for ages because of the nectar points reward scheme, but this seems to count for nothing. Apparently, when I asked them, they surveryed their customers about the nectar point scheme and the majority of cardholders said they didn't want them! They didn't ask me!!
    Rose :j
  • page_epage_e Forumite
    141 posts
    I've just phoned them and got the 4000 points :T

Easiest £20 i've made in a long time :money:
    Dept free with savings (At last)
    comp wins
    Catherine Townsend book, DVD, Gel pen, 5* holiday to Dubai :)
  • I phoned them and cancelled. Got no offer of points, and did get the free travel insurance blurb. I said no as I already have annual travel insurance. I wasn't aware that Vodafone have dropped nectar. Think I will drop them next then. Really pleased with my tesco credit card. :j
  • I just phoned up to cancel my gold barclaycard, which I have held for 10+ years. I told them that I wished to cancel because of the lack of rewards and so they told me to cut up my card and my account will be closed.

NO POINT :confused:

Not to worry, they have just increased the interest rate anyway !!!!!

:eek:
  • I'm not very good at blagging for things but would like to give this a go. However, I'm worried that I will threaten to leave and they just accept that then I end up with no barclaycard and no more nectar points either! Is there a final step in the cancellation process where I can change my mind at the last minute so I can still keep my card if they don't offer me the points?
  • molarmolar Forumite
    185 posts
    rozzid wrote:
    I have just spoken to Barclaycard and told them that I will be closing my account with them when I get my next statement as I can get a Sainsbury's Visa, with 0% on balance transfers and purchases for 9 months and get nectar points too. They said fine, I could do that!! So much for loyalty - I've been using Barclaycard for ages because of the nectar points reward scheme, but this seems to count for nothing. Apparently, when I asked them, they surveryed their customers about the nectar point scheme and the majority of cardholders said they didn't want them! They didn't ask me!!

I think sainsburys bank have dropped nectar for new customers as well. :confused:
  • fionah wrote:
    I'm not very good at blagging for things but would like to give this a go. However, I'm worried that I will threaten to leave and they just accept that then I end up with no barclaycard and no more nectar points either! Is there a final step in the cancellation process where I can change my mind at the last minute so I can still keep my card if they don't offer me the points?

But you won't get Nectar points with your barclaycard now if you keep it. They have stopped giving Nectar points now on Barclaycard purchases, thats the whole point.
  • RepoRepo Forumite
    446 posts
    I'm actually surprised that the Nectar scheme has lasted so long anyway. It was slated as being a poor reward system when it was first set up.

Having said that I had a Barclaycard & a Debenhams card anyway so have collected about 45,000 points now.

Wasn't too happy about the usual blag of "responding to customers wishes"; they've just bailed out because the cost benefits wern't high enough or because Amex came in (not sure which way around it is?).
    EGG are a bunch of complete bankers!
  • molar wrote:
    I think sainsburys bank have dropped nectar for new customers as well. :confused:
    Well they've cut the nectar points rate so much for existing customers you might as well not be getting points any more - 1 point per £5 outside Nectar stores and 1 point per £2 at Nectar stores.
    We're moving to Amex instead and then will tell Sainsburys how narked off we are
    I'd be happier on holiday in Brittany than being at work !