Forum Home » Credit Cards

4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard!

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

4k free Nectar points from Barclaycard!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
75 replies 50.4K views
mekondeltamekondelta Forumite
55 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I threatened to leave Barclaycard today (called the number on the back of the card) and was put through to customer retention. He asked me why I wanted to leave (no Netcar points, no benefits etc) and he offered me 4000 Nectar points to stay! Needless to say I took it and will cancel next month.

Insert By Martin

A number of people have tried and this technique and had it work. A couple of quick extra points.

1. A Nectar point's average value is 0.54p so 4000 points is worth just a little over £20
2. If you have debts then if you can avoid actually cancelling the Barclaycard. Threatening to is fine. Barclaycard has an interesting characteristic - it offers most existing customers a balance transfer offer at 6.9% life of balance - in other words, shift debt to it and that debt is 6.9% until its repaid in full. This ready access to reasonably cheap credit is worth having. For more details see Barclaycard Loophole article and The Credit Card Shuffle

Replies