Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 10th Oct 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 21,265 Thanks
    nannywindow
    • 10th Oct 18, 7:27 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 7:27 PM
    We also have that saying in S Wales ! Hope you don't mind me joining in too.

This week I bought some mince pies to put away for Christmas, but unfortunately my freezer is full . They probably won't make it to the end of the week now .
    I also got a few small bits for my DGC , from Ti*er, I have never been in there before but I shall go again as they had lots of small inexpensive stuff , good for stocking fillers. I hope to buy all the DGC stuff by Dec 1st ( fingers crossed ) as I hate shopping when there are a lot of people around. Thank goodness for online shopping
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 10th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 1,538 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    • 10th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 8:29 PM
    yay!! love Christmas, but have no money so its going to be a challenging one this year!!
    luckily I don't have many to get pressies for, only a few family and my 3 older teenagers who don't ask for anything.
    looking forward to hearing all about everyones plans!!
    wading through the treacle of life!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Oct 18, 8:36 PM
    • 5,934 Posts
    • 35,961 Thanks
    caronc
    • 10th Oct 18, 8:36 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 8:36 PM
    I've ordered cards/wrapping bits as I'm low/out of those and following SOs in the SM. Stash so far includes chocolates, salmon sides and choc oranges. I'm finding the best offers are sneaking in earlier and earlier. I have a houseful from Christmas Eve until the 1st of January so I need to be well prepared. We don't spend masses on presents but like to eat and drink (very ) well during te festive period starting with steaks and Bloody Marys at 6pm on Christmas Eve. I've been MSE though and gathered spare crackers over the last couple of years so don't need those. I do have a budget which I save every month for and stick to. so making the most of early offers on things we like works well for me. Nothing gets wasted any any LOs make the dark months of Jan & Feb much more tolerable.

• firebubble
    • By firebubble 10th Oct 18, 8:52 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    firebubble
    • 10th Oct 18, 8:52 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 8:52 PM
    Hurrah! I've been looking for this thread (I always thought it was on OS, but always searched for it, so who knows?!)

Reading it with a hot drop is one of my Christmas prep treats!

Has anyone started their Christmas shopping yet? Got the first of mine on Tuesday - I like it done before December so I can relax.
    • sillyvixen
    • By sillyvixen 10th Oct 18, 10:12 PM
    • 3,360 Posts
    • 5,498 Thanks
    sillyvixen
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:12 PM
    • 10th Oct 18, 10:12 PM
    Hurrah! I've been looking for this thread (I always thought it was on OS, but always searched for it, so who knows?!)

Reading it with a hot drop is one of my Christmas prep treats!

Has anyone started their Christmas shopping yet? Got the first of mine on Tuesday - I like it done before December so I can relax.
    Originally posted by firebubble
    Extra discount at work and 3 for 2 on gifts, so yeah I have got bits for extended family, church kids and a few stocking fillers. I like a bargin
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 11th Oct 18, 7:12 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 8,544 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    • 11th Oct 18, 7:12 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 7:12 PM
    Finished my Christmas shopping, and almost finished wrapping it all-i have to I hate wrapping, I hate the crowds, the cold, rushing in December, i like to spread the cost throughout the year plus I have a few to send the beginning of December.

Food wise is a different story. I bought some sweets on the 4 for£5 offer .........they might have been eaten.

So on the food front im not doing so well.......so far I have made use of special offers on a gammon joint now in the freezer and a box of biscuits
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Oct 18, 8:27 PM
    • 32,458 Posts
    • 67,477 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:27 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 8:27 PM
    Christmas? Haha, the last few days have been near-tropical!! Which has been handy for me in resisting the Lidl Christmas goodies strategically placed by the store entrance.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 11th Oct 18, 9:51 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 39,729 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:51 PM
    • 11th Oct 18, 9:51 PM
    We've been consciously down-scaling our Christmasses for a while now, and are enjoying them all the more. We'll still eat & drink well, but not to excess. We're not doing stockings any more, as the "kids" are all twenty-somethings; we've nicked the Icelandic "book & chocolate" idea instead. Some presents have already been bought, and a few goodies stashed away, and the girls & I have decided that on the decor front, we're going for a mostly natural & handmade Christmas. Which doesn't mean buying stuff to make things; we already have most of the "makings" and will just get creative if we don't. And if I can't find a real tree inside my miserly budget, or get to the heathland nature reserve to cut one on the right day, we'll just use the old plastic one in the loft again.

A few years back I started saving a certain amount each month in a special account, to cover the anticipated cost of Christmas upfront rather than scramble to pay everything off afterwards. That's worked a treat, and in January I'm going to double the amount put aside to cover the birthdays, too; we don't go overboard on presents, etc., but we do like to go out for a meal to celebrate, and meals out for 7 adults plus assorted partners add up to a fair expense; we have 3 birthdays in July alone, then another mid-August.

So, the festive dried fruit has already arrived; I'll be making mincemeat for the pies in the next few days, and then it's on to cake & puddings. Luckily the girls are avid bakers; I foresee a glut of gingerbread shortly! I will buy in a few bits n'bobs; it wouldn't be Christmas without some German iced gingerbread biscuits, or Twiglets, but most of it we will make ourselves. When they were all small, I got overloaded & frantic trying to do it all myself, but now they take a fair share of the load, and if it doesn't get made or done, it just doesn't get done, and we'll all laugh about it.
    Angie

GC Jan 20 - £418.58/£420
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 0 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 12th Oct 18, 9:14 AM
    • 3,060 Posts
    • 14,400 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Operation Christmas Child Boxes are filled and ready to be sent to the drop-off centre.

Christmas Cards are more than half-way finished (I do home-made cross-stitch one for friends/family)

A number of smaller presents have been bought.

Christmas Menu has been discussed and chosen....it is just Mum and myself...this year we are having venison (we had it last year and want it again!) with red cabbage and apple mousse. (along with the 'usual' roast veggies)...no starter....dessert is mince pies eaten later in the afternoon.

This weekend will see the freezer emptied, ready for restocking for the winter....and I have started filling up the 'winter shelf'...one shelf in my small kitchen, on which I keep 'extra 'tins and packets - buy an extra one or two each week, and then in December I only need a minimum spend as I have that shelf of supplies.

Most of our food shopping is done at M&S (partly because of the quality...mainly because there is nowhere else for us to go!!!)...hoping for a relative to come visit and take us to Lidls at some point to stock up on 'Favorina' goodies - Mum bakes her own Stollen but we still buy a few from Lidls!
    • DKRobert
    • By DKRobert 12th Oct 18, 9:28 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    DKRobert
    Properly prepared this year.

Last year I bought a load of snacks & sweets in advance of which 50% didn't get touched due to changing diets in my family. So this year I've joined forces with my Mum to put £150 onto a reloadable gift card (6% of every time it was loaded up) so we'll do the shop closer to the day this time & get stuff we'll actually eat.

Present wise, don't do gifting but gotta sort out my Nephew & Niece plus two lots of Birthdays. Know what I'm getting apart from one gift, but I'm waiting for a sensible time to buy (Black Friday for example)

Aside from that, bought Xmas cards in the post-Xmas sales last year so all I really need is a small amount of wrapping paper & I'm sorted. I can really focus on enjoying the season this year now.
    • SIRENS
    • By SIRENS 12th Oct 18, 10:03 AM
    • 944 Posts
    • 5,608 Thanks
    SIRENS
    I love this thread I'm sure there is one on the os board each year as this is my most frequented board.
    I have a couple of bits bought for extended family and a book each the kids so far, I'm planning to make a little baking box for dd as she loves to bake, going to get some muffin cases, icing colouring, pipping nozzles to go with her book etc. Bought ds advent calendar this week I got him an eraser one for a change.
    'You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose' - Dr Suess

OS 7.5/20
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 12th Oct 18, 10:15 AM
    • 4,199 Posts
    • 56,504 Thanks
    monnagran
    As far as the 'foot of our stairs' goes, its always been a saying in our family who have always lived about as south as you can get without be ing in France. And in a bungalow!

I love Christmas as long as it is simple and meaningful. However this year I will probably be moving just before Christmas so who knows what will happen.

One good thing is I will be able to combine my Christmas cards with Change of Address cards. Big saving on postage. Other than that I'm opting out this year.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Oct 18, 11:36 AM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 21,265 Thanks
    nannywindow
    I had a chat with my DD about the grown-ups presents ( for the past few years we have given each other a themed hamper ) but she would like some cash this year, as she wants some new Ugg boots. I have asked for a vacuum sealer .

I have squirreled away a Xmas pud and a bottle of wine. I am determined not to buy as much food as in the past, because we were still eating stuff well into January . Watch this space to see if I can keep to my word .

Monna I don't envy your moving just before Christmas, but I hope it goes well.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 12th Oct 18, 2:24 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,924 Thanks
    freyasmum
    I'm all sorted for cards and wap (bought in the sales last year... I've been banned from buying more until it's all used up )

Originally posted by firebubble
    Yes, I've got a few bits and pieces.

Superdry have a sale on at the moment, so I got a few pieces for my daughter. I have a list of ideas written for her as well.

I also got some 'filler' gifts from the boots sale earlier this year. I don't know if I'll do that this year though, certainly not to the extent that I did this year. If I'm honest, I'm tempted to move from physical gifts to more days out and treats like that - there's really nothing that I can get my nephews that they don't already have It's the same when you get older; generally if there's something that you really want, you can get it for yourself.

I'm trying to teach my daughter (who has recently started to receive what I consider to be a substantial amount of pocket money) that it' more important to have a smaller gift with lots of thought behind it

Christmas? Haha, the last few days have been near-tropical!! Which has been handy for me in resisting the Lidl Christmas goodies strategically placed by the store entrance.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    That has not been lost on me! It has been lovely! But I was thinking about it then and if I hadn't done it then, I'd have forgotten

Nannywidow - if you have an aldi nearby, they have some really nice mince pies and Christmas treats. And, as VfM4 says, Lidl have lots of tasty bits in.
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 12th Oct 18, 2:27 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,924 Thanks
    freyasmum
    Also, we're hosting Christmas dinner for the first time this year...

We're bringing together two families... one person doesn't like Turkey (so we're having beef), one can't have Christmas without Turkey (also having Turkey), one wants particular veg and Yorkshires. I feel quite stressed at the thought
    • Nargleblast
    • By Nargleblast 12th Oct 18, 2:34 PM
    • 9,501 Posts
    • 62,141 Thanks
    Nargleblast
    Our DS has announced he is going to Austria for Christmas and New Year to stay with a friend who he met through school trips a few years ago. This friend's family have kindly invited him to join them for the celebrations. We will miss him, but feel if he has this opportunity to travel and experience life in other countries then he should grab it while he can. We will sort out a family Christmas do before he goes, once I know what my shifts are.

Main foods will be from Sainsburys Christmas food selection (only the two of us, so won't need much, and I already have £20 in Nectar points to put towards it). I will try and persuade OH that we don't need to buy expensive presents for each other - there is nothing we really need, and it would all come from the same bank account so seems daft buying expensive gifts.
    Just token bits and pieces and nice food.
    One life - your life - live it!
    • thriftwizard
    • By thriftwizard 12th Oct 18, 3:13 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 39,729 Thanks
    thriftwizard
    Well. My dear darling daughters, 23 & 26, both still living at home, have decided that we're going for the simple, natural Christmas this year. Part of me wants to cheer, because I love the look too, but part of me wants to scream, "Do you realise just how much work that is?!" looking at the "inspirational" pics in the "How to do the Perfect Christmas" glossy magazines!

But at the end of the day, if they're willing to get stuck in & do their fair share - and they are - then simple & natural it shall be. But the old plastic glittery bits will stay handy by the loft hatch - just in case! And a few old favourites will definitely sneak out...

To be fair, we've never gone overboard, and I've put a lot of thought into simplifying Christmas over the last five years or so. The present-buying's been under way for some time, but I'm perfectly happy to do most of it online anyway. As the "kids" are now all twenty- & thirty-something, stockings are now a thing of the past, but we've borrowed the Icelandic book & chocolate idea instead, and a foray to the local bookshop will be my one actual shopping expedition.

Oh dear - DD2 is currently trying out festive baking ideas - this could be a bit disastrous, her chocolate-dipped Viennese biscuits smell wonderful!

ETA: sorry, have repeated myself! Lost track - got interrupted posting something by a boiler engineer, assumed it was this one so wrote it all out again... it wasn't!
    Last edited by thriftwizard; 12-10-2018 at 8:04 PM.
    Angie

GC Jan 20 - £418.58/£420
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 0 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 12th Oct 18, 5:48 PM
    • 1,533 Posts
    • 21,265 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Thanks for the heads up about Al*i but I am trying not to buy stuff. It's so tempting to eat it rather than keep it and I have very little willpower when it comes to sweet things. I have already bought a box of mince pies and somehow they have been eaten ........ it wasn't me, honest . ( but I haven't opened the xmas pud ! ) There were not many boxes of mince pies left in Al*i this week, but I did manage to get some for my Dad.
    • wort
    • By wort 14th Oct 18, 11:03 AM
    • 992 Posts
    • 11,717 Thanks
    wort
    Haha nannywindow, I bought gfree mince pies in tesc@ a couple of weeks ago, and this week got some normal ald! Ones for dgson which we had last Friday . I had mine with cream , need to get the nice thick cream with amaretto in !!
    A couple of years ago I did a scandi style tree with just wooden Dec's snd lights which looked lovely. It was done as we had a kitten in the house!!! In case it toppled over!
    However last year I went back to my bronze and gold Dec's for the tree.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,789Posts Today

8,378Users online

Martin's Twitter