We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Cooking A Gammon Joint in the Slow Cooker

could I cook a gammon joint in slowcooker or does it dry out?
«134567…30

Comments

  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Meat never dries out in a slow cooker and yes you can cook gammon in it ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's LOVELY. Cook it in apple juice or rub it with honey. You can also cookit with other tinned fruits and in the juice ie pineapple, apricots. I always buy the tinned fruit in natural juice but you could do it in the ones in syrup, if you don't mind about the sugar content. (Having said that, I have recommended rubbing in honey, haven't I :D)
  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Mine's in there now with half a bottle of coke! :D
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

    Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    juno wrote:
    Mine's in there now with half a bottle of coke! :D


    Ohhhh please let us know how it goes! :)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

  • juno
    juno Posts: 6,553
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ohhhh please let us know how it goes! :)
    It's not going too well :( The stupid coke bottle has a rounded bottom and won't stand up! So it falls over and fizzes everywhere, or leaks.

    But the gammon smells lovely :)
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

    Total debt [STRIKE]£4578.27[/STRIKE] £0.00 :j
    100% paid off :j

  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    tearslaughing7kj.gif





    I'll try mine with a can of coke instead then :p
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    :rotfl: I enjoyed that !
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Liz19
    Liz19 Posts: 673
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's LOVELY. Cook it in apple juice or rub it with honey. You can also cookit with other tinned fruits and in the juice ie pineapple, apricots. I always buy the tinned fruit in natural juice but you could do it in the ones in syrup, if you don't mind about the sugar content. (Having said that, I have recommended rubbing in honey, haven't I :D)

    How many tins of fruit do you use? or how much apple juice? How long do you cook the gammon for? Do you have to do anything to the gammon before putting it in the slow cooker? I am sorry if these seem like silly questions but I am a bit of a slow cooker novice!:)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Its lovely even if you just put it in with a bit of water, an onion and some cloves.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • ET03
    ET03 Posts: 264 Forumite
    Liz19 wrote:
    How many tins of fruit do you use? or how much apple juice? How long do you cook the gammon for? Do you have to do anything to the gammon before putting it in the slow cooker? I am sorry if these seem like silly questions but I am a bit of a slow cooker novice!:)
    yes me too

    always cooked on hob from scratch, but you all seem to love slow cooker so much I treated myself,
    wanted to try gammon as have a few joints in freezer bought cheap after christmas,
    does it stay salty in slow cooker??
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.