Mobiles.co.uk, can they be trusted?

Options
Chloe98_2
Chloe98_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
edited 7 September 2017 at 4:38PM in Mobiles
MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you're in the market for a new mobile read our 30+ Cheap Mobile Tips first.

Back to Chloe98's original post...

---

I'm considering taking a contract out with Mobiles.co.uk for a Samsung Galaxy S6 because they're giving me a really good offer. (194.99 upfront & £23.50 a month for 500 mins, 500mb and unlimited texts.

The negative reviews I've seen of the site all seem to refer to the cashback deals. Do you have to take a cashback deal or can you choose not to?

Would you recommend mobiles.co.uk or advise against it? If so, what other safe sites can you recommend?

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Trusted with what?
    The airtime contract will be with network directly, not with mobiles.co.uk.
    No, not all deals they offer are cashback ones; you can chose.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    You can choose whatever deal you like with them. However, cashback deals are generally much cheaper (provided you get the cashback). On top of the range phones cashback deals aren't as attractive.

I never trust any dealer - but I only do cashback deals and flow all the groundrules. I had two claims rejected in the last week; they are no longer rejected because I immediately took proper action (which would have been quickly followed by more severe action had that failed to work).

I have been using CPW companies for cashback deals for years and ordered hundreds for myself and others. CPW is generally more reliable than other dealers (there aren't many left nowadays) but that doesn't make them "trustworthy". In fact, I have recent stopped using them for myself and the people I order for because they have proved to be untrustworthy.

Without cashback (of any kind) involved you're less likely to be let down. Just make sure you print everything out at the point of sale - just in case.
  • pathtofreedom
    Options
    I used them last year to get a refurb samsung note 3, I got cashback through quidco and have had cashback cheques from them. I just have to download a copy of my bill from o2 and upload it to their site and a few weeks later they send me a cheque. If you're keeping your same mobile number make sure you update this on the mobiles site after it has gone through with a temp one, so the number on the bills match the number on their records.
    MFW OP's 2017 #101 £829.32/£5000
    MFiT-T4 - #46 £0/£45k to reduce mortgage total
    04/16 Mortgage start £153,892.45
    MFW 2015 #63 £4229.71/£3000 - old Mortgage
  • jb66
    jb66 Posts: 1,705 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Id use them again with no hesitation, it was easy and simple to submit bills online
  • fishybusiness
    fishybusiness Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    Options
    No problems with them.

Took out a T-Mobile cashback deal with them just about a year ago.

Cashback cheques always come through promptly, phone service is good, no hidden charges.
  • lisahod
    Options
    I've been trying to find a decent iPhone 5s or 6 deal as mine is due for upgrade in july. Phoned my current network of three and cheapest they could give me was an iPhone 6 for £44 a month with free handset, which is more than I really want to pay. Have found a few deals on mobiles.co.uk but not sure whether they are reputable and why they seem so much cheaper than the providers themselves. Can anyone shed some light?
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    used them multiple times with no issue.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    lisahod wrote: »
    ...Have found a few deals on mobiles.co.uk but not sure whether they are reputable and why they seem so much cheaper than the providers themselves. Can anyone shed some light?
    What deals? Normal or with cashback (redemption)?
  • lisahod
    Options
    normal deals
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    lisahod wrote: »
    I've been trying to find a decent iPhone 5s or 6 deal as mine is due for upgrade in july. Phoned my current network of three and cheapest they could give me was an iPhone 6 for £44 a month with free handset, which is more than I really want to pay. Have found a few deals on mobiles.co.uk but not sure whether they are reputable and why they seem so much cheaper than the providers themselves. Can anyone shed some light?

I've used them many times. No problems.

They're part of Currys Dixons PCWorld Carphone Warehouse TalkTalk, or whatever the company is called. :rotfl:

Ah, it's Dixons Carphone PLC. It says so at the bottom of their homepage.

e2save is another chearp alternative that's part of the same group. And there's OneStopPhoneShop too.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback