Mobiles.co.uk, can they be trusted?

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeh your spending that much on a phone when you can spend less than that on an android phone and have money to treat yourself.

No your not missing anything, depends how much per month you want to spend.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    applepad wrote: »
    Am I missing something!
    Some deals can involve claiming cashback.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    And going via Uswitch gives them a commission. Clear your cookies and go by a cashacb site and you'd get that instead (provided the cashback site actuall pays up). Any competitive deal almost certainly involves a cashback contract so make certain you do thorough research first (on cashback contracts, the dealer, the t&c and your own ability to follow the groundrules).
  • catherinehills
    Options
    My contract with EE ends at the beginning of August so I contacted them a while ago to request the best upgrade deal they could offer me but they came back with something ridiculous so I decided to cancel.

I found a much better deal from mobiles.co.uk and also better deal through Carphone Warehouse using the O2 network. I rang EE this evening to cancel my account and quoted the better deal I have found on mobiles.co.uk.

The advisor said that the reason 3rd party providers can offer much better deals is that they source their phones from abroad whereas networks are tied to purchasing theirs from more expensive european/uk countries. He said this was usually fine until something went wrong with the phone (in this case Iphone) and then the network provider would not help and Apple would identify the IME no. and might not help so could potentially end up with a very expensive repair bill. Is this true?

He also immediately dropped £250 off the price of the "best" upgrade offer I had received previously. It really annoys me that they would have happily ripped me off if I had accepted that offer and it takes threatening to leave to get a remotely decent offer.

I don't want to spend more money than I have to but am now worried that the seemingly cheaper deals could cost me more in the long run or is this just sales patter/scare tactics by EE to make me stay with them?

Has anyone had any problems with a phone from mobiles.co.uk or Carphone Warehouse and not been able to get it repaired? The phone I will be getting is a Iphone 6s 64gb and is a new phone, not a refurb.
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    My contract with EE ends at the beginning of August so I contacted them a while ago to request the best upgrade deal they could offer me but they came back with something ridiculous so I decided to cancel.

I found a much better deal from mobiles.co.uk and also better deal through Carphone Warehouse using the O2 network. I rang EE this evening to cancel my account and quoted the better deal I have found on mobiles.co.uk.

The advisor said that the reason 3rd party providers can offer much better deals is that they source their phones from abroad whereas networks are tied to purchasing theirs from more expensive european/uk countries. He said this was usually fine until something went wrong with the phone (in this case Iphone) and then the network provider would not help and Apple would identify the IME no. and might not help so could potentially end up with a very expensive repair bill. Is this true?

He also immediately dropped £250 off the price of the "best" upgrade offer I had received previously. It really annoys me that they would have happily ripped me off if I had accepted that offer and it takes threatening to leave to get a remotely decent offer.

I don't want to spend more money than I have to but am now worried that the seemingly cheaper deals could cost me more in the long run or is this just sales patter/scare tactics by EE to make me stay with them?

Has anyone had any problems with a phone from mobiles.co.uk or Carphone Warehouse and not been able to get it repaired? The phone I will be getting is a Iphone 6s 64gb and is a new phone, not a refurb.

IPhones are Manufacture in China and not in EU so the sales rep is giving you all cr*p, also mobiles.co.uk is part of Dixons Carphone PLC
    What happens if you push this button?
  • Astraeus
    Astraeus Posts: 370 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just had the same conversation with Three when cancelling from them. All the usual warnings about not knowing where the phone has come from etc. I told them that was quite disingenuous of them; they didn't understand what that meant and the conversation ended there.
  • kingrulzuk
    kingrulzuk Posts: 1,330 Forumite
    Options
    Astraeus wrote: »
    I just had the same conversation with Three when cancelling from them. All the usual warnings about not knowing where the phone has come from etc. I told them that was quite disingenuous of them; they didn't understand what that meant and the conversation ended there.

3 call centre is based in India and all they do is read from the paperwork they get, if you say anything different they will have no clue what you are talking about.
    What happens if you push this button?
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kingrulzuk wrote: »
    IPhones are Manufacture in China and not in EU so the sales rep is giving you all cr*p, also mobiles.co.uk is part of Dixons Carphone PLC

It's not necessarily cr*p, I know someone recently who got an S7 on upgrade from mobiles.co.uk, he ended up with a Swiss firmware S7 which means no wificalling or VoLTE, even though the features work if you have a UK firmware model, means he has to either void warranty by flashing UK firmware or lose the capabilities.

Don't know about iPhones and mobiles.co.uk, but other 3rd party retailers have supplied non-UK stock in the past, and this does have warranty issues, one I've heard of was supplying UAE stock, no UK warranty from Apple and no FaceTime...
    ====
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 July 2016 at 2:40PM
    Options
    These phones are known as 'grey imports'.

Their use can cause significant issues due to different software, a different set of language options, perhaps even a different selection of frequency bands they work on.

Sometimes there's a clue. Perhaps a manual or other paperwork, or options on the phone, in English plus a variety of Arab or Asian languages, but not European languages.

Another clue may be original paperwork or packaging that has been replaced with materials reprinted in English, but with a lower quality than the original.

Chargers may have been replaced for the UK market, perhaps with sub-standard parts.

If something goes wrong, the retailer is responsible for sorting it out. It's a gamble they take that the additional cost of fixing various issues is less than the additional profit made by using stock sourced elsewhere.
  • wilvo
    Options
    Son bought Sony Z5 18/2/16 and within months the case began to distort. I believe mobiles.co.uk is part of carphone warehouse and so my son attempted to resolve the issue multiples times without success, finally culminating with him sending a letter before action in August. This was sent recorded delivery and has not been responded to.

I guess my question is, who do we take legal action against, Mobiles.co.uk or Carphone Warehouse? Their website say they are a trading division of carphone warehouse.

Will
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure