Mobiles.co.uk, can they be trusted?

Options

Comments

• Frozen_up_north
    Options
    They look expensive compared to Three's £9/month unlimited mins/text and 4GB.
  • ncastlemtbker
    ncastlemtbker Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 14 November 2016 at 10:47PM
    Options
    Hi all,
    On the 2nd August 2016 I purchased a Refurbished Iphone 5s from mobiles.co.uk. The deal was for £50 upfront, then £12/month using the idmobile network (which I believe is three's network) I received the phone approximately 2 days later.
    Unfortunately I wasn't able to get ANY signal in my ground floor appartment so rang customer services who checked this and confirmed that an Indoor Signal was very poor in my area. I enquired if a signal booster was available but there wasn't.
    So basically the phone was pretty much useless to me. No bother I thought, as their T&Cs states that you can get a full refund if your not happy with the phone, this was confirmed by the advisor I spoke to on the phone - indeed I could get a full refund for my deposit once the phone had returned back to the warehouse. I was told this would be sent by cheque in the post.
    So I returned the phone within the next 48hrs and well within the stated 14 days of their Returns Policy.

2 weeks later, no cheque/refund had arrived so I gave them another call. They said it can take upto 28 days for the cheque to arrive. Ok I thought I'll give it another 2 weeks. The 28 days came and went and still no cheque. So I rang them again, they apologised and said "They would need to check with the Accounting Department that the cheque hadnt been cashed first, and then they would send another one out for me". This could take upto another 28 days.

It is now 4 months later and I've still not received my cheque. I have rang them 2 or 3 times since the phone call mentioned above and each time I just get told they will check with the Accounting Department and issue another cheque, and each time the 28 days comes around and nothing arrives. I asked why they can't just credit it back onto my credit card and they say its for security reasons as the cheque can only be cashed by me. This sounds utter ******* to me as surely crediting the card that made the original purchase is far more secure than sending a cheque through the post????.

I know its only £50 but it just feels as if they are trying to wear me down until I give up trying, but i'm determined to get back what I'm entitled to.
    Although I paid by credit card unfortunately I believe the minimum purchase is £100 so I wouldn't qualify for chargeback.

Has anyone else experienced such issues with refunds from mobiles.co.uk and can anyone recommend what my next step should be?.

tia,
    Andy
  • glentoran99
    Options
    £100 is sections 75 protection, you could ask your credit card to issue a chargeback
  • ncastlemtbker
    Options
    £100 is sections 75 protection, you could ask your credit card to issue a chargeback

But the deposit was only for £50 so I wouldnt qualify.
  • glentoran99
    Options
    But the deposit was only for £50 so I wouldnt qualify.

yes you would, a chargeback is for any amount, the £100 is section 75 protection they are different, you can issue a chargeback for any amount
  • ncastlemtbker
    Options
    Thanks, I wasnt aware of this, looks like I'm just within the 120 days to make a claim. The purchase was made on a Sainsburys Bank Mastercard CC so I will have to find out if they support Chargeback.
  • mobilejunkie
    Options
    If that doesn't work, send a Letter Before Legal Proceedings. CPW almost invariably pay up once they know they can't get away with something. Meanwhile, it is possible they may mistakenly pay you twice (in which case don't shout it from the rooftops).
  • Chlorine7
    Chlorine7 Posts: 256 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I ordered an iphone7 plus 128gb from mobiles.co.uk during the black Friday promotions and through uswitch.

£150 upfront then £33.49 per month.

I am finally receiving that phone today after speaking with them yesterday (delayed shipment so I don't have the colour I originally wanted)

I said no to insurance and the salesperson confirmed that subject to inflation the amount would be £33.49 for 24 months.

After cancelling with Three the person at the other end asked me if I have read the T&Cs and there might be hidden charges because EE's own website doesn't make the same offer. He was using that as a basis to get me to stay even though he knew I used a third party. I know they lie but I'm a little worried that I'm going to be hit with £45 per month for some reason.

Also is my contract (so if any issues arise) with mobiles.co.uk or EE? I realise these are prob a simple and stupid questions but I'm more likely to get honest answers here than with any phone company.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As long as you have paperwork or emails confirming the price at £33.49 for 24 months you'll be fine (but it might go up in month 25?).

Dealers often get their own packages from networks that aren't on the networks own sites. The guy from 3 was just trying to get you to stay.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    The mobile contract is with the network. I always go through dealers. It may go up during the contract but only by the RPI.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback