Flight delay compensation, all other EU airlines

Options

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can claim back the cost of MCOL from them. Send them notice before action and give them 14 days to pay, then file MCOL if they don't. It sounds like an open and shut case for you.
  • KevinK
    KevinK Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    I had a flight cancellation as above and the airline (Wizzair) are refusing the pay out in line with the European law, they state as it was due to a lightening strike they're not liable - despite me quoting several pieces of case law stating this is not the case.

I had something similar a while back and by complaining to the CAA I got it sorted, however as the flight was outwith the UK I'm not sure how to proceed. I've emailed the Slovakian equivalent of the CAA but the website didn't seem very professional (English version looked as if it had been ran through a translator and not checked) and so I don't hold out much hope.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Justice13075
    Options
    I would imagine you will need to find a no win no fee solicitor in Slovakia. I have had a look online and cannot find anything. Maybe someone else has a suggestion.
  • Ali1975uk
    Options
    Hello, in August 2018, my wizzair flight was cancelled and my travel was delayed for 48 hours due to plane front side was damaged by ground staff when leaving the gate. Wizzair paid my claim last week and I also had a travel insurance that time and I am entitled to £100 on my travel insurence claim.

My problem is wizzair sent me an email in response to my claim that delay was casued due to "extraordinary circumstances" but legal and general is not accepting this as a valid reason and asking me to provide a letter from wizzair with "actual reason" of delay and wizzair is not providing me any letter.

I would lose out £100 due to not having letter with actual reason from wizzair. What should I do, just forget and not buy travel insurance again or something else?
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    How come whizz air paid you compensation if they are claiming extraordinary circumstances.
    Also most insurance companies now, won't pay you anything if you have received compensation from the airline.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • Ali1975uk
    Options
    Hi JPears, I don't know but my claim with wizzair was taking a little bit longer and then I sent "letter before court action" and after some days they asked me to provide receipts and then they paid more than £300 including all expenses.

Is it true that insurance company wouldn't pay now and I have to leave that?

Many thanks
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The reason for your delay - vehicle damage to your aircraft, is not normally considered an EC so you have a valid claim.
    Re. insurance, it depends on the wording of your policy. Most will ask, as part of your claim submission, if you have received or applied for compensation from the airline. They will usually deduct anything you receive from airline from anything they pay under the policy.
    Alternatively, file and complete insurance claim before you submit claim to the airline ;)
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • wary
    wary Posts: 789 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just received confirmation that Bott & Co have successfully obtained compensation from Iberia for my flight delay.

After deductions (£25 plus 25% + VAT) I'll get 60% of the compensation, which I'm happy with as all I had to do is sign forms electronically and provide basic details ... whereas I would have had to sue Iberia had I gone it alone.
  • Aseli
    Aseli Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

Does anybody have a flightradar account who could help me checking something from August?
    Much appreciated!
    Thank you!
  • DMV
    Options
    Hi all! We were delayed on a Thomas Cook flight from Heraklion that was scheduled for 10/10/18.Half an hour into the flight the oxygen masks were deployed and a smell of burning throughout the cabin. We were told the pilot had full control of the plane and to keep calm! Eventually it was announced that we would have to land in Athens due to a technical fault- faulty ac unit. We were in the air with masks on for over an hour before we were told it the cabin pressure was safe and we would land in Athens. I have since contacted Thomas Cook who claim the delay was due to WEATHER! Unbelievable, I then sent them another email with supporting documents that were given to us before we left the next night at gone midnight which mentioned the technical fault and faulty ac unit. They ignored my email, so I lodged a complaint with ABTA and had a reply from Thomas Cook the next day saying they were happy with their final decision not to compensate and to contact CEDR, which I have done today.
    My questions are these: were you on that flight or know someone who was? Flight no:MT 1179 scheduled to leave on 10th Oct but actually ended up leaving in the early hours of the 12th? If so how have they been dealt with compensation wise? I'm determined to see this through to the bitter end- the audacity of them blaming the weather, it was not a bogstandard delay but also a terrifying ordeal.
    Any advice help would be appreciated.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure