Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Ryanair ONLY

Options

Comments

• bignred05
    bignred05 Posts: 1,209 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    F_Bear wrote: »
    Secussful claim form Jan 18 paid this month, used resolver then ADR and dispute every hurdle been put in our way claimed the Euro 400 each.

was on tenerife and ryan air didnt land claiming the wind but every othr airline did. tried the exceptional circumstances but provided no evidence so found in favour

Ryanair used the same excuse with me for a Prague flight cancellation
    ADR agreed with Ryanair on safety grounds even though I provided photo evidence of no other flight problems

Thankfully ADR sided with us though on the fact Ryanair did sweet F.A. in terms of getting us to Manchester airport to continue on the same plane that landed there instead
  • ryanm8655
    ryanm8655 Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 20 June 2019 at 7:55AM
    Options
    Hi there,

Went on holiday to Italy recently.

Long story short I received an email from Ryanair the day before my flight to say it had been cancelled. No reason was given and no support was provided.

I called them and switched to their next flight to London (Stansted rather than Luton, as that flight wasn’t until the next day and I wanted to limit extra costs for car hire/hotel).

It was only when I got home that I found out about potential for compensation and rights to expenses and other reasonable costs e.g. accommodation. Ryanair didn’t inform me of any of this or even offer a different flight, I called them and rebooked via stansted.

Besides the obvious stress of fearing being stranded I incurred extra costs as a result. I had the additional cost of food as well as transport from Stansted to home (in central London). Plus ended up having to take half a day off of work as I didn’t get home until a ridiculous hour in the morning (rather than in the afternoon as planned).

I filed a claim through resolver and Ryanair said it was a strike so out of their control (it was ground staff rather than their own, which I understand makes a difference). They offered to pay the food and travel expenses but I didn’t keep receipts since I had no idea I was entitled to the expenses (since they didn’t communicate this). I did send them the items on my bank statement highlighted but this was t considered good enough.

I’m feeling hard done by for several reasons:
    1) Surely they could’ve flagged the strike previously rather than just cancelling the flight with no explanation 24 hours beforehand. Likewise they gave no reason for the cancellation at the time, only when I raised a case via resolver.
    2) They didn’t offer a new flight, they made it seem like they were doing me a favour rebooking free of charge when I called
    3) At no point did they tell me I was entitled to expenses due to the cancellation, had I known that they were responsible for accommodation costs etc. I would have got the more convenient flight back to Luton (for which I had travel booked) the following day. Likewise I’d have kept receipts for travel costs.

I have now escalated the case as they basically said tough tits and some generic bs about being clear in their communication, which is nonsense.

Where do I stand on this?

Thanks,
    Ryan

August 2019: £28.8k

November 2020: £0 (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

• JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome.
    Good etiquette is to post on the Ryanair forum rather than post yor own personal thread, so please repost there.
    Many thanks.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • ryanm8655
    ryanm8655 Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there,

Went on holiday to Italy recently.

Long story short I received an email from Ryanair the day before my flight to say it had been cancelled. No reason was given and no support was provided.

I called them and switched to their next flight to London (Stansted rather than Luton, as that flight wasn’t until the next day and I wanted to limit extra costs for car hire/hotel).

It was only when I got home that I found out about potential for compensation and rights to expenses and other reasonable costs e.g. accommodation. Ryanair didn’t inform me of any of this or even offer a different flight, I called them and rebooked via stansted.

Besides the obvious stress of fearing being stranded I incurred extra costs as a result. I had the additional cost of food as well as transport from Stansted to home (in central London). Plus ended up having to take half a day off of work as I didn’t get home until a ridiculous hour in the morning (rather than in the afternoon as planned).

I filed a claim through resolver and Ryanair said it was a strike so out of their control (it was ground staff rather than their own, which I understand makes a difference). They offered to pay the food and travel expenses but I didn’t keep receipts since I had no idea I was entitled to the expenses (since they didn’t communicate this). I did send them the items on my bank statement highlighted but this was t considered good enough.

I’m feeling hard done by for several reasons:
    1) Surely they could’ve flagged the strike previously rather than just cancelling the flight with no explanation 24 hours beforehand. Likewise they gave no reason for the cancellation at the time, only when I raised a case via resolver.
    2) They didn’t offer a new flight, they made it seem like they were doing me a favour rebooking free of charge when I called
    3) At no point did they tell me I was entitled to expenses due to the cancellation, had I known that they were responsible for accommodation costs etc. I would have got the more convenient flight back to Luton (for which I had travel booked) the following day. Likewise I’d have kept receipts for travel costs.

I have now escalated the case as they basically said tough tits and some generic bs about being clear in their communication, which is nonsense.

Where do I stand on this?

Thanks,
    Ryan

August 2019: £28.8k

November 2020: £0 (0% interest)

My debt free diary: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/77330320#Comment_77330320

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Ryan,

The first simple step....

Put your flight details into this delay calculator to see what Bott & Co’s database thinks about it....

https://www.bottonline.co.uk/flight-delay-compensation/calculator?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=googlecpc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_qmeqYL54gIVF-J3Ch19QgcrEAAYASACEgJtB_D_BwE

Try to research whatever you can about the strike.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • laufgas
    laufgas Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 June 2019 at 2:06PM
    Options
    I can't believe I reply to this post (page 130, post 2597) after 18 months, but I was on the same airplane with you (11 December 2017 - Ryanair flight FR2447).

Unbelievable.

I tried to contacted AviationADR and they rejected my claim and accepted the weather excuse.

As I told them and Ryanair - if it was a weather delay, then why did we change airplanes? and the pilot himself announced it's a technical failure.

I am really upset how Ryanair is lying and there is nothing we can do.

If anyone else has an idea I would be glad to hear.

Thanks
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    laufgas wrote: »
    I can't believe I reply to this post (page 130, post 2597) after 18 months, but I was on the same airplane with you (11 December 2017 - Ryanair flight FR2447).

Unbelievable.

I tried to contacted AviationADR and they rejected my claim and accepted the weather excuse.

As I told them and Ryanair - if it was a weather delay, then why did we change airplanes? and the pilot himself announced it's a technical failure.

I am really upset how Ryanair is lying and there is nothing we can do.

If anyone else has an idea I would be glad to hear.

Thanks

Hi,

It’s not too late, there is much more you can do.

To start with, put you flight details into the Bott & Co flight delay calculator found online.

They are NWNF solicitors who may be able to help you for a fee.

Good luck
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • karlie88
    karlie88 Posts: 9,114 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello,

Thought I would post my experience in order to help other people out.

We were on flight FR3128 on 12th June 2019 - MAN to SKG with Ryanair.

We were about to take off (cabin crew had done seat-belt checks etc.) then the pilot announced that there was a faulty sensor that needed to be checked. Boeing technicians came on-board. Pilot then announced that the flight was going to continue but that they had to fly at a lower altitude, therefore new flight plans were needed and more fuel required. Flight time would increase by approx. 40 minutes.

We ended up taking off 2.5 hours later and, in the meantime, I had loaded up the last 20 pages of this thread and MSE's flight delay compensation guide before putting my phone in airplane mode. Decent reading before our holiday! I was pre-empting a 3+ hour delay upon landing, flight touched down with a 2 hour and 59 minute delay, doors opened 4 minutes later. Talk about small margins. Funnily enough, upon arrival in Greece I got an email from Ryanair apologising for the 2 hour 57 minute delay with our flight! Cheeky blighters.

Having read this thread, I had anticipated some difficulty getting our compensation; so when we arrived back home, I submitted a case via Resolver.

Within 15 minutes we got a reply saying that we were eligible for compensation of £1060ish (3 people in total @ €400 each). Bank account details duly forwarded and 8 days later received the money. Paid for our holiday and car hire with a small bit of profit.

Thank you to everyone on here for your advice and good luck to anyone else; especially if you were on the same flight.
    :grouphug: :D Official MSE canny forumite and HUKD VIP badge member :D :grouphug:
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Forewarned is forearmed! Well done!
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Fr3178 Budapest to Stansted 1st July

Ryanair are stating that the 4 hour delay was due to an earlier flight disruption as a result of airspace restrictions which caused a knock on effect.
    No claim due

Can i check this at all? Are they correct if so?
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback