Got a Huawei phone? Your rights after Google restricts its use of Android - MSE News

Options

Comments

• bishbut
    bishbut Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Would be happy to see the end of both Google and Android but what else is there ? very expensive Apple ? Microsoft Windows too would go as well
  • Xeorix
    Xeorix Posts: 385 Forumite
    Options
    Girlfriend bought a P20 Lite at the start of the year, and whilst it works now, from August, it means it'll never (as of now) receive any updates, at all.
    • No security updates
    • No Android updates

Since the trade ban affects US companies, what isn't clear is how this will impact apps in the app store. If Huawei cant access the app store after August, that means Google Apps will not receive updates, and we all know that if your Google Apps (especially Play Services) aren't kept up to date, core components of your phone stop working.

There's then the whole issue of US company apps on the store such as Facebook etc. Technically they can't get updates either

I'd argue the toss that its no longer sold performing as sold, however that technically wouldn't come into effect until August which might be too late
    Cashback
    Total Quidco since 2007: £166.64
    Total TCB since 2012: £398

Competition Wins
    5* Break in Scotland
  • jeanericblass
    Options
    as per my reading knowledge it won't be effecting current devices but it will not be available on new devices
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Xeorix wrote: »
    Girlfriend bought a P20 Lite at the start of the year, and whilst it works now, from August, it means it'll never (as of now) receive any updates, at all.
    • No security updates
    • No Android updates

Since the trade ban affects US companies, what isn't clear is how this will impact apps in the app store. If Huawei cant access the app store after August, that means Google Apps will not receive updates, and we all know that if your Google Apps (especially Play Services) aren't kept up to date, core components of your phone stop working.

There's then the whole issue of US company apps on the store such as Facebook etc. Technically they can't get updates either

I'd argue the toss that its no longer sold performing as sold, however that technically wouldn't come into effect until August which might be too late

This is incorrect. Android is open source so any devices can receive security updates, they just might be delayed behind companies that have a contract with google.

All existing Huawei devices have already been approved by google so they will continue to operate exactly as they do now and that won't change. So you still get the App store and access to other google services.
    The main issue is that new Huawei devices may not be able to get approval for google services.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Takmon wrote: »
    This is incorrect. Android is open source so any devices can receive security updates, they just might be delayed behind companies that have a contract with google.

All existing Huawei devices have already been approved by google so they will continue to operate exactly as they do now and that won't change. So you still get the App store and access to other google services.

The main issue is that new Huawei devices may not be able to get approval for google services.

But a key issue for existing devices is that during the period (probably a matter of weeks at the very least) between the time that updates would have been issued and the time that they'll be issued now, post-Trump, hackers will have access to your device that they wouldn't otherwise have had.

And you can be very sure that they'll be exploiting that window of opportunity, making these Huawei devices potentially very insecure.
  • madaminx
    madaminx Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I'm just waiting for Trump and his friends at Apple/google to try this trick with my Lenovo laptop, could well be next.The spying bit has been going on for years in most countries so this is just an excuse to try to build up Apples flagging i-phone sales.

Agreed, that combined with Trump . . . I love my Huawei phone, it's the best budget (as good as Apple / Samsung) phone I've ever had. Had it nearly 15 months and would like to continue using it once out of contract on a sim only contract.
  • neilmorgan
    neilmorgan Posts: 62 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't help thinking that Google are happy they have an excuse to try to kill off one of their competitors.
    Don't Google sell their own phones and tablets?

I have just started to look round for a new phone as I already have a problem with Google saying they no longer support Android 4.4 in my 4 year old, still going strong, non Google pixel phone. I can't get an operating system upgrade for it so various people are actively locking us out of their apps.

Now I can't see myself replacing this phone with another Android in case they pull the plug on that too but if Huawei come up with their own operating system and apps I'd certainly be tempted.

I really hope this bites Google where it hurts!
  • neilmorgan
    edited 22 May 2019 at 3:00PM
    Options
    In reply to Takmon

But Google will only support any existing phone up to the point where they no longer support the software version (KitKat is already being hit and the phone is only 4 years old) and newer software versions are designed not to work on slightly older phones. They've shown their true colours and by their actions will have lost a huge amount of customer loyalty.
  • neilmorgan
    Options
    mustiuc wrote: »
    I will never ever buy another samsung or iphone again. I had a couple of them many years ago but if Huawei will go bad I will stick with another chinese/cheap brand (xiaomi &co). I also don't mind if there will be no other update for android (I was never a fan of endless updates).
    I wont pay extra for a stupid brand. Google and it's apps is spying on us for years, all apps from G store ask for any permision regards to it's intend, 'merica is spying on it's allies for years, social media platforms is spying and using personal data of it's customers for years and now those who spread democracy in the world are scared of chinese who might use their equipment to spy on them.

" I also don't mind if there will be no other update for android (I was never a fan of endless updates)."

I hate updates too. For example Windoze 10 on my wife's laptop is a real pain. But Google actively kills off earlier operating systems. With KitKat 4.4 I thought I was relatively safe as it was the first really comprehensive version of Android. Most apps still work on it but anything that needs to be secure is steadily being replaced by versions that don't work on Kitkat. Kitkat was still being sold on new phones just 4 years ago!
  • Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    But a key issue for existing devices is that during the period (probably a matter of weeks at the very least) between the time that updates would have been issued and the time that they'll be issued now, post-Trump, hackers will have access to your device that they wouldn't otherwise have had.

And you can be very sure that they'll be exploiting that window of opportunity, making these Huawei devices potentially very insecure.

Huawei have a poor reputation for security on their software anyway so i agree this is a big issue the people who buy huawei phones are probably less concerned about security than others.
    neilmorgan wrote: »
    In reply to Takmon

But Google will only support any existing phone up to the point where they no longer support the software version (KitKat is already being hit and the phone is only 4 years old) and newer software versions are designed not to work on slightly older phones. They've shown their true colours and by their actions will have lost a huge amount of customer loyalty.

4 years is a very long time to keep a device in the mobile phone world so it's not really a big issue. Also you can't just blame google, it will be the app developers who will not want to spend the time building their apps to continue to work on basically obsolete devices.
    The device manufacturers also choose not to provide the latest versions of Android for older devices.

KitKat was also released in the back end of 2013 so it's over 5 years old. You can't really expect them to keep supporting such an old version in the mobile world.

I know people of all ages and due to the way mobile phone contracts are offered i don't know one single person who has a mobile phone older than 4 years. The vast majority of people have devices less than 2 years old. This really isn't something that 99% of consumers would care about.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure