Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 July 2017 at 10:46PM
    Options
    gjclarke wrote: »
    Hi Everyone, I booked via Lastminute.com a flight from UK to US (out BA, return AA). It was the day of the BA May Day outage (27th). At airport was told to book my own alternative flight and we would get reimbursed. Did so using Aer Lingus for next day .... with the panic that day all prices were substantially higher costing (£2.5k in total to take 4 of us).

Claim put in to BA on 14th June. Back and forward ... got hotel and compensation paid -but still arguing over rebooked flight cost. BA has said that I now need to go back to Lastminute.com (apparent it is UK legal for them to give me that back) and get a refund of their part (told by LM.COM that this will take up to 28 days) and then I will have to go after BA to refund the difference.

Interesting - LM.COM could not give me a breakdown of the outbound (BA) and inbound (AA) flight costs when previously challenged and not on my booking statement either - just the total. Issue was that I did use the AA return flight but not the BA due to being cancelled by BA.

LM.com likely to refund about 20% of rearranged price and then have to wait to show evidence of that to BA before they can pay the 80%. Naturally having paid out of pocket in May - for £2.5k really having an impact.

Has anyone any advice on how I can accelerate this from both parties or if they have encountered it before ..... very time consuming and financially even worse !!! The issue appears to be because I booked BA flight through Lastminute.com and not directly with BA.

A frustrated Ex-BA Silver Card holder !!!

Hi gjclarke,

Your question is a little difficult for the regulars on this site, who could answer some of your questions, so I suggest you repost here as it may be more suited to your specific questions...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1812051-2017-ba-compensation-thread-your-guide-regulation-261-2004-a.html

The Flyertalk forum has many experts with inside knowledge about the intricacies of the BA system, and on the breakdown of cost therein.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 1 August 2017 at 10:12PM
    Options
    I found this article while looking at the CAA's website...

Heathrow Airport

Heathrow required airlines to cancel a proportion of their flights based on forecast bad weather.

The reduction in capacity was to ensure flights could continue to operate safely and airlines could give advance notice to their passengers. The flights shown below were cancelled based on the expected weather conditions and in our view would be considered to be an extraordinary circumstance and not subject to compensation.

The list does not include flights cancelled on the day.

Details of cancelled flights

6 July - forecast thunderstorms
    6 June - forecast strong winds and storms
    12 January 2017 - forecast snow
    23 January - forecast fog
    24 January - forecast fog
    25 January - forecast fog
    23 February - forecast strong winds (Storm Doris)
    2 March - forecast strong winds

Monday 19 December 2016 - Fog
    Sunday 18 December 2016 - Fog
    Tuesday 6 December 2016 - Fog
    Monday 5 December 2016 - fog
    Tuesday 31 May 2016 - predicted strong winds/thunderstorms
    Monday 11 July 2016 - forecast strong winds
    Tuesday 1 November - fog

Sunday 1 November 2015 - Fog
    Monday 2 November 2015 - Fog
    Tuesday 3 November 2015 - Fog
    Tuesday 17 November 2015 - Storm

Examples of extraordinary circumstances

The main categories of events that are likely to be an extraordinary circumstance include:

Acts of terrorism or sabotage
    Political or civil unrest
    Security risks
    Strikes (unrelated to the airline such as, airport staff, ground handlers, or air traffic control)
    Weather conditions incompatible with the safe operation of the flight
    Hidden manufacturing defects (a manufacturer recall that grounds a fleet of aircraft)
    If you are not sure whether extraordinary circumstances apply to your flight, but have read about your other rights and think you might have a case, you can make a claim to your airline for compensation. The airline should explain to you the reason for the disruption. If they consider it was due to extraordinary circumstances they will need to clearly set out why. If they reject your claim then you can consider whether to pursue it further.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Annie_Clark
    Options
    Hello. Can anyone tell me how long does it take for BA to pay compensation? From filling out a claim online directly with BA, to compensation payment?

Two days ago (2 August 2017) I travelled from OTP-LHR on BA0887.

The plane took off from OTP, then returned to OTP after 1+ hrs in the air. They announced it was due to "issues with the autopilot". Said issues were fixed and we boarded the same plane, several hours later. Delay on arrival to LHR was a little over 4 hours and distance is more than 2500km so that means €400 compensation, I believe.

Thanks.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    there is reports on flyertalk of between a few days and 6 weeks
  • legal_magpie
    legal_magpie Posts: 1,194 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Annie, you don't have to "wait your turn". If you don't get a satisfactory answer within a reasonable time, two weeks is about right, you can escalate by sending an NBA. Read Vauban's guide
  • Annie_Clark
    Options
    Thanks, I was just curious. I filled out the online form and got assigned a case ID, will wait a couple of weeks then contact them.
  • **Missy**
    Options
    Hi there, we have just got back from Las Vegas, BA cancelled our flight. They managed to get us on one 24 hours later, in the meantime we obviously incurred costs. Is there anything we can do to claim anything back? Thanks
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Missy .... reason for delay determining factor ..... read Vauban's Guide. If not an extraordinary circumstance likely €600 per person for delay + duty of care costs (food /accommodation) if these costs were not met at the time by BA.
  • Justice13075
    Justice13075 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The flight which was cancelled who would you have flown with BA or American Airlines?
  • Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    BA have had a disaster on the Las Vegas run this week, one flight was over 48 hours delayed and they appear to have refused to transfer passengers to other flights via LAX or SFO or transfer to other airlines. The issue was mechanical and I believe around 700 people are affected on the outbound and return flights. It is a straight 600 Euros each together with reasonable expenses incurred whilst waiting
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback